U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Vancity for seven years. I never really wanted to be here, but I came because this is where my friends were and it was far enough away but still close enough to the small town I grew up in.

I've been slowly coming to realize that I actually hate every single thing about this city. I guess I have all the usual complaints (including but not limited to the traffic, bikes, hipsters, pretentiousness, unfriendliness, social cause bandwagons, insane cost of everything, general scene and vibe) but it's not Vancouver's fault, plenty of people love it here. It happens that I am not one of them, and now that I've seen that, I cannot unsee how miserable I am.

But where should I go? I'm not worried about leaving the friends I have nothing in common with or my job or family. I just want to be somewhere with open space and room to breathe and ample parking, somewhere that is less flashy and doesn't look down it's nose at you. Where the men are not better dressed or groomed than I am and where it doesn't feel like half my paycheck goes to taxes. At the same time it occurred to me that I hate Van, Calgary popped into my head and I keep thinking about it, but I've never been. I've actually never been outside of BC, so I need some help.

If you left Vancouver, why, and where did you go? If you've lived all over this great nation of ours, where was your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:15 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodthatwontcomeout View Post
I've lived in Vancity for seven years. I never really wanted to be here, but I came because this is where my friends were and it was far enough away but still close enough to the small town I grew up in.

I've been slowly coming to realize that I actually hate every single thing about this city. I guess I have all the usual complaints (including but not limited to the traffic, bikes, hipsters, pretentiousness, unfriendliness, social cause bandwagons, insane cost of everything, general scene and vibe) but it's not Vancouver's fault, plenty of people love it here. It happens that I am not one of them, and now that I've seen that, I cannot unsee how miserable I am.

But where should I go? I'm not worried about leaving the friends I have nothing in common with or my job or family. I just want to be somewhere with open space and room to breathe and ample parking, somewhere that is less flashy and doesn't look down it's nose at you. Where the men are not better dressed or groomed than I am and where it doesn't feel like half my paycheck goes to taxes. At the same time it occurred to me that I hate Van, Calgary popped into my head and I keep thinking about it, but I've never been. I've actually never been outside of BC, so I need some help.

If you left Vancouver, why, and where did you go? If you've lived all over this great nation of ours, where was your favorite?
Try Prince George.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:43 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,572,923 times
You've only told half the story. You've said what you don't like about Vancouver and the things you want to avoid but that doesn't help much if you don't also mention the things you do like and what you are looking for. You need to also tell us the name and location and population of the small town you grew up in and what you did and did not like about that so that we have a basis for comparison and suggestions to make. Otherwise without that information everybody else will just be spitting in the wind making suggestions and not knowing what may be suitable to you.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:56 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
The first suggestion that comes to my mind is Edmonton. If you want someplace where people are "less flashy", Calgary's full of ambitious people who flaunt their prosperity. Given the current oil prices that might be different now, but still, I think Edmonton might be more your style.

Prince George was another interesting suggestion. What would be you minimum populations size for a city? Would you go as far east as Ontario?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:27 AM

10,131 posts, read 11,872,252 times
If you don't mind the cold, Whitehorse could be a good idea. I have heard good things about it from people who've been there. I haven't been there myself so can't give a personal opinion.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodthatwontcomeout View Post

So maybe you realised that you are a small town person at heart. Cities can seem very lonely to small town people who grew up where everyone knows everyone else but you might find Calgary to be the same. Do you need to be in a bigger city for your job?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful

In terms of population I think I'd definitely like a mid to large size city, but ideally somewhere much less dense than Vancouver. Edmonton is a great idea actually! Not sure I'd want to go as far as Ontario, I'm an only child and it would break my mother's heart! I've also heard Whitehorse is lovely. As far as climate, I don't mind the cold if it's sunny - dark and cold not so much!

Also to clarify, 'less flashy' probably isn't the best choice of words - I just mean that I find Vancouver kind of snobby and cliquey, although I think it's a combination of things that causes it to be that way and not least of which is the fact that it's just not my scene. Success and affluence isn't a problem, but in Vancouver it kind of bugs me that it feels like all the money is foreign and the picture of the economy isn't necessarily reality for the average person, although to some extent I'm sure that's true everywhere.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So maybe you realised that you are a small town person at heart. Cities can seem very lonely to small town people who grew up where everyone knows everyone else but you might find Calgary to be the same. Do you need to be in a bigger city for your job?
This is very true - while I do enjoy the anonymity of being somewhere larger (when I visit my parents you can't leave the house without seeing a bunch of people you know) but it can also be overwhelming and hard to meet people when you're new.

Job isn't such a consideration, I can do it anywhere although opportunities are definitely better in bigger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or