Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM

81 posts, read 101,191 times

Advertisements

"That's the result of an online poll by UK social network Badoo.com.

The poll asked 30,000 people across 15 countries to name the coolest nationality and unsurprisingly Americans came out on top.

Canada placed 4th in the uncool category, not even placing high enough to be a uncool winner in an ironic, hipster sort of way."

Would've thought we'd do a bit better than that?

https://www.kelownanow.com/news/news..._Country_List/

Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 AM

26,879 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I am not sure this should be taken completely seriously, but the myth that everyone in the world loves Canadians and hates Americans (and so it's better to be Canadian, I suppose) is not really true.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure this should be taken completely seriously, but the myth that everyone in the world loves Canadians and hates Americans (and so it's better to be Canadian, I suppose) is not really true.
You're really on a anti-Canada roll this morning? Something up?

The notion the world likes Canadians over Americans has some truth to it. Of course it totally depends on what time in history you are talking about.

On my many trips to Europe during the Bush years, I came across this silliness many times over.

I even saw an American almost in tears in Amsterdam because he was getting flack for being American. This on the same day that I had taken a train and had a women assume I was American and be quite quick with me, until she learned I was Canadian, when she transformed into a nicer person and actually said she " hated " Americans.

A few years ago on this forum I posted that story mentioning my disgust at such behaviour. it's childish and presumptuous.

It doesn't make it not true...at that time.

Today? I think things have changed for the better. Perhaps it's the internet? However there still is a prejudice out there in regards to Americans, that Canadians for the most part don't receive, partly because they know so little of us.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

It's anti-Canada to think that not everyone in the world loves Canada and Canadians?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:

The notion the world likes Canadians over Americans has some truth to it. Of course it totally depends on what time in history you are talking about.

On my many trips to Europe during the Bush years, I came across this silliness many times over.

I even saw an American almost in tears in Amsterdam because he was getting flack for being American. This on the same day that I had taken a train and had a women assume I was American and be quite quick with me, until she learned I was Canadian, when she transformed into a nicer person and actually said she " hated " Americans.

A few years ago on this forum I posted that story mentioning my disgust at such behaviour. it's childish and presumptuous.

Today? I think things have changed for the better. Perhaps it's the internet? However there still is a prejudice out there in regards to Americans, that Canadians for the most part don't receive, partly because they know so little of us.
This is kinda different. On the whole, Canada and Canadians are probably more well-liked globally than Americans and the U.S. are. I don't disagree with that.

It's in large part due to the difference between being a relatively innocuous, ill-defined middle power as opposed to a huge superpower, in-your-face globocop that is the only first world country that is also a demographic and geographic giant.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM

82 posts, read 71,102 times
Quote:

Well liked isn't a good word for it. I can guarantee you that an American guy will attract women on any continent faster than a Canadian just because he has the cool factor. America is the popular country in the world, but also has lots of enemies by default being a superpower. This isn't hard to figure out.

Ask how many people who "like" Canada more than the US: "Who is the prime minister of Canada"?

Those people who "like" Canada so much can't even tell you who Trudeau the elder was let alone his son. If someone really "likes" Canada they will be able to tell you basic facts about the place. In my experience it is usually the Americans and on an occasion even the French who really "like" Canada". The others are just being diplomatic. What are they going to say? "Oh you're from Canada? That country is of no relevance to me whatsoever"....??

Old 12-07-2015, 12:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I'm okay with Canada not being considered "cool" by the cool crowd. I don't like the cool crowd, I think they're dangerous and I don't want them directing their predatory attention onto Canada. I think it's better and safer for Canada to be thought of as boring and practical with no thrills to offer rather than notorious and full of celebrities (which was the reason given for why USA ranked highest). It's been my observation that people who are looking for cool also consider themselves as cool and can't see themselves as the shallow minded, easily bored, predatory, thrill seeking entitlement crowd that they are. Generally speaking I've found that people who are shallow, bored, spoiled thrill seekers are also highly destructive and disrespectful so if people like that don't think Canada is cool then they won't be attracted to it and they'll stay away.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Well liked isn't a good word for it. I can guarantee you that an American guy will attract women on any continent faster than a Canadian just because he has the cool factor. America is the popular country in the world, but also has lots of enemies by default being a superpower. This isn't hard to figure out.

Ask how many people who "like" Canada more than the US: "Who is the prime minister of Canada"?

Those people who "like" Canada so much can't even tell you who Trudeau the elder was let alone his son. If someone really "likes" Canada they will be able to tell you basic facts about the place. In my experience it is usually the Americans and on an occasion even the French who really "like" Canada". The others are just being diplomatic. What are they going to say? "Oh you're from Canada? That country is of no relevance to me whatsoever"....??
quite true, but are you sure those who *like* the US know that much about the country? Yes, most likely know the US president and all the celebrities considering it is a powerful country, but is that what the US society, its culture and its philosophy is about?

People naturally know more about powerful countries. Canada has a smaller population and GDP than California. How many people in the world do you think know the name of the governor of famous California? Or where the state capital is? I know for a fact that many in Asia don't even know where Los Angeles is on the US map, and quite a few think NYC is the US capital.

An American guy has a *cool* factor for a woman? What kind of stupid women are they? Hookers from Thailand and east Europe? And what kind of cool? You mean the Ohio kind, or Idaho kind?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm okay with Canada not being considered "cool" by the cool crowd. I don't like the cool crowd, I think they're dangerous and I don't want them directing their predatory attention onto Canada. I think it's better and safer for Canada to be thought of as boring and practical with no thrills to offer rather than notorious and full of celebrities (which was the reason given for why USA ranked highest). It's been my observation that people who are looking for cool also consider themselves as cool and can't see themselves as the shallow minded, easily bored, predatory, thrill seeking entitlement crowd that they are. Generally speaking I've found that people who are shallow, bored, spoiled thrill seekers are also highly destructive and disrespectful so if people like that don't think Canada is cool then they won't be attracted to it and they'll stay away.

I am with you on this.

The article specifically mentioned celebrity culture. I think the first thing one should know in order to be *cool* is stay away from that kind of trash. I respect great actors who give their lives to movies, but can't care less about who gets pregnant and who is on rehab in Hollywood and all the celebrities who don't even have a talent. The fact that Lindsay Lohan and Kadarshian are "celebrities" is such a disgrace for Hollywood and how vulgar the culture has become.

I am so glad that Canada doesn't have a celebrity culture and all the plasticity.

Last edited by botticelli; 12-07-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

What kind of stupid women are they?
Speaking as a woman I'd say it's because they are gold diggers.

Don'tcha know all American men are cool because they're filthy rich?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada