Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's also not the same thing as somebody who wants to know if she and her daughter can reside as illegal immigrants in a foreign country while she travels back and forth across the border every work day to work at a job in their own country.

This seems a bit harsh. OP is simply asking a question. And, you can legally stay in Canada for up to six months as a visitor. And, cross the border everyday if you'd like (provided the border staff don't decode to turn you away which is always a possibiliry.) Or even look for a job in Canada. (Understanding that the employer would then have to sponsor you. And as. a visitor you won't have status re: health insurance, etc.) Many Canadians live in the US six months a year, year after year. There was a gentleman who had a cabin in Point Roberts and worked in Vancouver. He only got into trouble because hew as staying more than 183 days of each hear in Point Bob, not just weekends.

As an RN, you should not have too much trouble finding employment. I believe Canada is even advertising for RNs to move here, while New York State is trying to recruit from Canada ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
This seems a bit harsh. OP is simply asking a question. And, you can legally stay in Canada for up to six months as a visitor. And, cross the border everyday if you'd like (provided the border staff don't decode to turn you away which is always a possibiliry.) Or even look for a job in Canada. (Understanding that the employer would then have to sponsor you. And as. a visitor you won't have status re: health insurance, etc.) Many Canadians live in the US six months a year, year after year. There was a gentleman who had a cabin in Point Roberts and worked in Vancouver. He only got into trouble because hew as staying more than 183 days of each hear in Point Bob, not just weekends.

As an RN, you should not have too much trouble finding employment. I believe Canada is even advertising for RNs to move here, while New York State is trying to recruit from Canada ...
I didn't think I was harsh, just being matter of fact about the illegality of what the OP was enquiring about. As I understand the OP, the mom wanted to know if she and her 10 year old daughter could reside as visitors in Canada and have the daughter attend school in Canada, while mom works in America, all without becoming legally established as permanent residents of Canada. That would be illegal immigration for both the mother and the daughter.

I'm pretty sure that if a parent from America is living in Canada as only a visitor in the home of her Canadian friends she cannot enroll her American daughter in a Canadian school and the parent cannot be working in America.

I'm also pretty sure she and her daughter have to at the very least be permanent residents of Canada for the daughter to go to a Canadian school without a student visa even if the mom wants to work in America. As it stands it's far too complicated, the mom can't even come in to reside on a Canadian work visa to work in Canada because she plans to work in America, not work in Canada.

Perhaps I have miscontrued mom's intent but it seems to me her main goal for now is for the daughter to attend school in a Canadian school. Until proper legal arrangements can be made about residency the only way I can see around it that might possibly work is for the mom to arrange for the daughter to live in Canada on a student visa and live with the Canadian friends as guardians while daughter is going to a Canadian school. Meanwhile mom can reside and work in America on her work days and then visit and stay with her daughter and friends in Canada on her days off from work.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,731 times
And for the record............That "six months in Canada " is NOT carved in stone.

It is at the discretion of the individual CBSA officer who interviews the person at the port of entry. IF the CBSA officer has reason to doubt what the person is saying, he/she can reduce the allowed stay period to as little as 14 days, OR reject the person , and deny them entrance to Canada. Period.

That happens every day of the week at the border. Never ASSUME that a non-Canadian will automatically be allowed to enter Canada. There are at least 15 legal reasons why admittance to Canada can be denied by the CBSA.

link. What makes a person ineligible to enter Canada? - Canada - CBC News

Jim B.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
To live in Canada you'll have to apply for permanent resident status.
To then work everyday in the USA you'll have to cross the border everyday opening yourself up to the occasional grumpy CBSA agent who could bait you into a situation where your entry is denied,could go down something like this=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYMw1p8s9M

Old 01-16-2016, 11:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,035 times
Long story short, OP can visit Canada, but should be careful of the possibility of being turned away (as I noted, having no current home or job in the US to return to may be a red flag; I'm not sure how these things work as to me it seems perfectly reasonable to stay in borderland Ontario with a friend while looking for work in Buffalo, but the border guards may look at things differently. Enrolling in school would be more difficult sinxe it would require enrolling as an international student. New York does have an excellent school system BTW (In both Canada and the US all children have the right to attend school, regardless of their or their parents status. However, this right doesn't extend to visitors).

On the other hand, if OP wants to work in Canada, gaining residency could be fairly straightforward since nurses are being actively recruited and it is on the NFTA list - we'd certainly welcome you.

Of course double check what we say, but the safer bet may be to rent in Buffalo while seeking work and see where you land - and come up for a visit!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:19 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
OP was a US citizen, working in Buffalo, NY......no problem there.
The daily border crossing to get back home to Canada is the issue.
OP wants the higher US wage and the low cost of Canada combo (US exchange rate is 32% better than the CAN dollar).
Earn $1000 in the US, come back to Canada and it is worth $1460 Canadian dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada