U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Halifax, NS
225 posts, read 147,539 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I tend to be a bit of an élitist myself.


Though I think I also probably see politics as more "fluid" than you do.
I'm not an elitist per se. I get called that a lot. Usually by people on the far right when I challenge their racism or misogyny.

They probably mistaken it for elitism because people into the far right are usually broke.

I used to be more fluid about politics but then I got on the wrong end of a far-right psycho's railings, and he stalked me for five years and sent people after me simply because I was a woman who disagreed with him. So I'm a little leery now.

Obviously, I don't think all people who support X are Y but I tread lightly now. And I can be rude I admit. It's for protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2016, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
I wouldn't call you an elitist at all.

Probably a one note broken record, with the occasional pearl of wisdom.


I may be alone on the ledge, but really, we get it. You don't like Reform, Stephen Harper, the West, conservatives, etc. etc. Every single post in multiple threads it gets repeated, unsolicited. Message delivered.

Move on. They lost. The good guys won. They're not even in power in Alberta anymore. Find a new boogeyman to haunt your nightmares.

You have some amazing insights, and a lot of intelligent things to say, but it's tiring wading through all your unprovoked hate regarding conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,722 posts, read 3,199,575 times
Reputation: 7171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
*sigh* Don't you see that you are also guilty of painting with the broad brush that you complain about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You really need to get out more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,722 posts, read 3,199,575 times
Reputation: 7171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Wow I'm public enemy #1 on another forum I go to full of people who have accomplished nothing in life so are angry about it. Awesome lol

Their most active thread is about refugees, or as they call them "rapeugees" and I guess I am personally responsible. Somehow. I, just one person, get a rise out of them and it's hilarious. It's apparent they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Crazy as the birds too.

RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS... THEY'RE ALL BROKE LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Broke, unemployed and on disability: Here

But I forgot.. being largely rejected by society shows you're a superior minded non-conformist... riiight.

They always try to claim there's something "wrong" with me because I am not a racist like them and not irrationally angry. I've been armchair diagnosed with a few mental illnesses by that motley crew.

Actually thinking of making a thread on there "are white Canadians the only sane white people left on the planet?"

Because I actually do feel that way. This forum is populated with Americans and Europeans... all nuts. I'm the only Canadian on there and the opposite of all the other members.




Sorry, but you (often) sound as "nuts" -- as intolerant, as "irrational," as "angry" -- as all those "Americans" and "Europeans" on the other thread you go on. The only difference, apparently, is you call yourself a "liberal," and they call them themselves "conservatives." You're not "the opposite of all the other members," at all, no matter how much you've convinced yourself of that. You're just like them. I think you fit right into the culture of the P&OC thread.

Because, in this thread and others, you make ridiculous over-generalizations about "Americans," "Europeans," "Israelis, "conservatives" and "Anglo Canadians" (did I get all of them? All the groups you seem to have a problem with?) I guess you think that all 320 million Americans, 740 million Europeans, and 8 million Israelis think the same way about everything. It's only Canadians, or should I say "liberal" Canadians like yourself, who are the enlightened ones (?).

Perhaps it's just that you're young and possess that unique combination of impudence and naïveté characteristic of many twenty-something/early 30-somethings. In any case, you really ought to examine your own bigotry, Souriquois, before you even think about commenting on (what YOU perceive as) the bigotry of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Halifax, NS
225 posts, read 147,539 times
Reputation: 156
No my anger is rational, actually. The forum I alluded to, a person on there, because I committed the crime of disagreeing with a male while being female, threatened me, got my personal information, sent people to my house, tried to get me fired from my job... some GamerGate type crap, before GamerGate happened.

I was referring to people on THAT FORUM, not all, they're from Europe mostly, some American (though a minority) and all they do is bash Muslims. Of course, you are going to say that I am painting all with a broad brush because of your simplistic thinking. That's not my problem, it's yours.

As for my "unprovoked attacks". Nah. Nothing is unprovoked. You can't abuse whole groups of people and not expect there to be a little bit of anger.

Know who has never abused me? A Muslim. Never. But, I'm still supposed to hate them and I get called down or called stupid for not hating them.

I mean, I guess because I'm lower in the social order than you guys, and I'm not staying in my lane, I'm crazy and stuff. Whatever. I know the drill, must obey the white man and acknowledge his God given supremacy at all times, or else I'm a threat, crazy, or an all around bad person.

You know it's OK to call all Muslims terrorists or all black people thugs, for example, but if you are a little weary of the white male who has killed, raped, and maimed... oh no, you're "painting with a broad brush!" Even though I tried to be nice, bit me in the ass every time. Now in before you accuse me of painting all white males or white people now... no, again I am not... there are many who get it. It's not about people personally, it's about society.

Last edited by Souriquois; 02-02-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
No my anger is rational, actually. The forum I alluded to, a person on there, because I committed the crime of disagreeing with a male while being female, threatened me, got my personal information, sent people to my house, tried to get me fired from my job... some GamerGate type crap, before GamerGate happened.

I was referring to people on THAT FORUM, not all, they're from Europe mostly, some American (though a minority) and all they do is bash Muslims. Of course, you are going to say that I am painting all with a broad brush because of your simplistic thinking. That's not my problem, it's yours.

As for my "unprovoked attacks". Nah. Nothing is unprovoked. You can't abuse whole groups of people and not expect there to be a little bit of anger.

Know who has never abused me? A Muslim. Never. But, I'm still supposed to hate them and I get called down or called stupid for not hating them.

I mean, I guess because I'm lower in the social order than you guys, and I'm not staying in my lane, I'm crazy and stuff. Whatever. I know the drill, must obey the white man and acknowledge his God given supremacy at all times, or else I'm a threat, crazy, or an all around bad person.

You know it's OK to call all Muslims terrorists or all black people thugs, for example, but if you are a little weary of the white male who has killed, raped, and maimed... oh no, you're "painting with a broad brush!" Even though I tried to be nice, bit me in the ass every time. Now in before you accuse me of painting all white males or white people now... no, again I am not... there are many who get it. It's not about people personally, it's about society.

Does the burden of constantly being a shaheeda ever become too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
I was surprised as well. The leadership in the NDP is very much against Islamophobia, but the supporters are not. I have seen in one of the Liberal vs NDP wars people using verses from the Qu'ran out of context to say they're all violent and want to take over the world. Frank Gaffney Sharia hysteria type stuff. Muslims are rapists, etc.

I chalk it up to the NDP's populist learnings. Where there is populism, there is racism.

Same goes on the right. Red Tories are very rarely Islamophobic, but many conservatives who came from the Reform side are. Reform were a populist party at its core.

Makes me wonder if the Cons in the last election used Islamophobia for that reason, to split progressive voters. Problem is, it caused a lot of Red Tories to vote Liberal. Heh.
That was a low blow. You really need to get off your high horse, not everyone that disagrees with your point of view or that critizes Islam is a racist or islamophobic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,722 posts, read 3,199,575 times
Reputation: 7171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
No my anger is rational, actually. The forum I alluded to, a person on there, because I committed the crime of disagreeing with a male while being female, threatened me, got my personal information, sent people to my house, tried to get me fired from my job... some GamerGate type crap, before GamerGate happened.

I was referring to people on THAT FORUM, not all, they're from Europe mostly, some American (though a minority) and all they do is bash Muslims. Of course, you are going to say that I am painting all with a broad brush because of your simplistic thinking. That's not my problem, it's yours.

As for my "unprovoked attacks". Nah. Nothing is unprovoked. You can't abuse whole groups of people and not expect there to be a little bit of anger.

Know who has never abused me? A Muslim. Never. But, I'm still supposed to hate them and I get called down or called stupid for not hating them.

I mean, I guess because I'm lower in the social order than you guys, and I'm not staying in my lane, I'm crazy and stuff. Whatever. I know the drill, must obey the white man and acknowledge his God given supremacy at all times, or else I'm a threat, crazy, or an all around bad person.

You know it's OK to call all Muslims terrorists or all black people thugs, for example, but if you are a little weary of the white male who has killed, raped, and maimed... oh no, you're "painting with a broad brush!" Even though I tried to be nice, bit me in the ass every time. Now in before you accuse me of painting all white males or white people now... no, again I am not... there are many who get it. It's not about people personally, it's about society.
My simplistic thinking? That's right, you're so much more open-minded.

Now, as for the rest of this post, I have nothing to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 AM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Reputation: 13321
Bump.

Yes; I support Justin Trudeau bringing refugees into Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Bump.

Yes; I support Justin Trudeau bringing refugees into Canada.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top