Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

529 posts, read 508,211 times

Advertisements

No, I do not support Trudeau. Focus on more pressing issues and fulling one of the other 100+ promises you made on your campaign. People think Harper was bad, well, wait until they see Trudeau drive the Canadian economy completely into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
No, I do not support Trudeau. Focus on more pressing issues and fulling one of the other 100+ promises you made on your campaign. People think Harper was bad, well, wait until they see Trudeau drive the Canadian economy completely into the ground.
This is what we have now that Trudeau, like a bull in a China shop, barged forward with bringing refugees to Canada without first ensuring that the infrastructure was in place: some refugees would prefer to return to the Middle East, but they can't.

January 2016

"Some Syrian refugees in Canada already want to return to the Middle East

Johnson said the refugees have been at the hotel for weeks and have no idea when they will be able to leave. Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-middle-east/

"Some government-sponsored Syrian refugees staying at a budget hotel in Toronto say they feel like they're "trapped in a prison" without hope due to a lack of communication, supplies and assistance. ...

"There is nothing unusual about a stay of several weeks in transitional accommodation ... Government-assisted refugees receive a one-time startup allowance plus monthly income support for their first year in Canada.

Abu-Rukti added many of those who came with her were getting more help in Lebanon and Jordan."

"Maybe this isn't where I should be. Another lady asked to return and the Canadian Embassy said: 'There is no way you guys can return now.'"

Syrians feel 'hopeless' as government-sponsored refugees in Toronto, mother says - CBC.ca | Metro Morning

Old 02-26-2016, 03:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default Of course they want go home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
This is what we have now that Trudeau, like a bull in a China shop, barged forward with bringing refugees to Canada without first ensuring that the infrastructure was in place: some refugees would prefer to return to the Middle East, but they can't.

January 2016

"Some Syrian refugees in Canada already want to return to the Middle East

Johnson said the refugees have been at the hotel for weeks and have no idea when they will be able to leave. Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-middle-east/

"Some government-sponsored Syrian refugees staying at a budget hotel in Toronto say they feel like they're "trapped in a prison" without hope due to a lack of communication, supplies and assistance. ...

"There is nothing unusual about a stay of several weeks in transitional accommodation ... Government-assisted refugees receive a one-time startup allowance plus monthly income support for their first year in Canada.

Abu-Rukti added many of those who came with her were getting more help in Lebanon and Jordan."

"Maybe this isn't where I should be. Another lady asked to return and the Canadian Embassy said: 'There is no way you guys can return now.'"

Syrians feel 'hopeless' as government-sponsored refugees in Toronto, mother says - CBC.ca | Metro Morning
Moving from somewhere so different is SCARY!!! You don't know the language, the culture and you are so far from everything you have ever known. Most of these people never wanted to leave their homes in the first place. They just got here. I went to live in London, England by choice in my early 20s and it was scary. So I can not even imagine how scared and overwhelemed someone coming here from the Middle East would be. It takes time to settle in and feel safe. What I am hearing these people say in the articles does not seem like anyone else would think. It is scary not knowing what will happen next and coming in the middle of Winter from a warmer climate in itself can be scary. A few people cannot speak on behalf of everyone else. To me these articles are just another way certain people with hidden agendas are trying to push Canadians and other countries to not want to help these people out.

Last edited by klmrocks; 02-26-2016 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Moving from somewhere so different is SCARY!!! You don't know the language, the culture and you are so far from everything you have ever known. Most of these people never wanted to leave their homes in the first place. They just got here. I went to live in London, England by choice in my early 20s and it was scary. So I can not even imagine how scared and overwhelemed someone coming here from the Middle East would be. It takes time to settle in and feel safe. What I am hearing these people say in the articles does not seem like anyone else would think. It is scary not knowing what will happen next and coming in the middle of Winter from a warmer climate in itself can be scary. A few people cannot speak on behalf of everyone else. To me these articles are just another way certain people with hidden agendas are trying to push Canadians and other countries to not want to help these people out.
Of course it's scary, and that's why proper infrastructure needs to be in place prior to bringing 25,000 refugees to Canada. After the photo opportunity with Trudeau at the airport handing out a couple of "shiny winter coats", the government dropped the ball. What needed to be in place were housing arrangements, language classes, school enrolments for children, winter clothing, food, connections to translators, native language instruction in Canadian culture, custom, and habits, banking, how to pay bills, job search skills, adult education opportunities for local certifications and accreditations, and so much more. Trudeau was unable to think (or perhaps care) beyond the photo opportunity, and therefore people who were brought here to bolster Trudeau's Star image want to go back to the Middle East, and they were told that they cannot return. That, in itself, is problematic. Canadians should not turn a blind eye to the carelessness with which this government imported thousands of people and then, in some cases, abandoned them. The general attitude is that new immigrants can take 2 years to learn English, and longer to find work. I highly doubt that sits well with new immigrants.

Last edited by Lieneke; 02-26-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The results of NAFTA taken over the long term have virtually decimated Ontario's manufacturing base of income. Ontario has taken a big hit and now with a government in charge that seems willing to re-mortgage it's future with more handouts and freebies we cannot afford.

I predict that if there is one province out there that will share Alberta's pain it is Ontario.

Ontario already understands Alberta's feelings of being behind a nasty curve ball thrown by a mean-azz
pitcher by years of NAFTA influence.

We have pandered to NIMBY's for years with shutting down refineries and not building newer, more enviro-friendly ones due to the David Suzuki types with four homes and a carbon footprint bigger than most of us telling us we're complicit.

Pipelines could have been in the ground and moving already refined oil to ports east and west for years had we simply been smarter and using even a reasonable amount of rational foresight.
I heard today that Ontario pays $100 billion annually in interest on money owed. Clearly there has been a long history of financial mismanagement.

It's truly unfortunate that when the youth vote decided they wanted "change", they had no understanding of what "change" meant. Change means blowing the budget, stalling on important decisions, and making change for the sake of change alone.

On the upside, children of low income families in Ontario are now entitled to free post-secondary education - on the downside, the government is mortgaging everyone's future.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Since this thread is meandering all over the place I guess its ok to post an interesting article on Canada's debt to GDP ratio.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...123008383.html

Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Since this thread is meandering all over the place I guess its ok to post an interesting article on Canada's debt to GDP ratio.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...123008383.html
Where does Canada rank internationally?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_public_debt

Russia 17.92 Dec/14 14 % Govt Debt to GDP
Canada 86.51 Dec/14 87 % Govt Debt to GDP

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/coun...nt-debt-to-gdp

Last edited by Lieneke; 02-26-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Where does Canada rank internationally?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_public_debt

Russia 17.92 Dec/14 14 % Govt Debt to GDP
Canada 86.51 Dec/14 87 % Govt Debt to GDP

Country List Government Debt to GDP
This is a comparison between other G7 nations.

Budget 2015 - Annex 2

This is another good read on urging a greater focus on debt to GDP ratio than simply focussing on not running a deficit

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/09/23/econo...-not-deficits/

Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default It is not that bad ...

Quote:
Of course it's scary, and that's why proper infrastructure needs to be in place prior to bringing 25,000 refugees to Canada. After the photo opportunity with Trudeau at the airport handing out a couple of "shiny winter coats", the government dropped the ball. What needed to be in place were housing arrangements, language classes, school enrolments for children, winter clothing, food, connections to translators, native language instruction in Canadian culture, custom, and habits, banking, how to pay bills, job search skills, adult education opportunities for local certifications and accreditations, and so much more. Trudeau was unable to think (or perhaps care) beyond the photo opportunity, and therefore people who were brought here to bolster Trudeau's Star image want to go back to the Middle East, and they were told that they cannot return. That, in itself, is problematic. Canadians should not turn a blind eye to the carelessness with which this government imported thousands of people and then, in some cases, abandoned them. The general attitude is that new immigrants can take 2 years to learn English, and longer to find work. I highly doubt that sits well with new immigrants.

Hey if any of them what to leave I know a family of 6 (husband and wife with 4 kids) begging to get here as their first choice, the USA (only due to having relatives in the USA that have lived there for decades is dragging their feet). I still 100% support what Justin has done. When situations are this bad the time to act was yesterday. We might as well be building plots to burry the dead if we drag our feet any longer. Even staying at the worst motel in Toronto would be better then living in the refugee camps most of these people are coming from. You fall to note the tones of other articles that where written showing the immense thanks being expressed by other refugees.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Trudeau is certainly enjoying his new star/celebrity status, but we can all easily find stories about new Canadians who, after 2 years, still can't speak English, still don't have jobs, and who are not given the tools to become productive, contributing members of the community. I have spent time talking with parents (new Canadians) who are trying to obtain local accreditation for skills acquired in foreign countries, and they talk about how their children feel misplaced, miss their home and friends, and feel isolated from their peers. Those children gravitate towards others who feel the same. Another problem is that those children have a distinct advantage over parents because parents are slower to learn English, slower to understand the school system, and who therefore rely on their children to interpret information from the schools and community. This leads to a reversal in family authority - where the child become the authority due to helping with interpreting bills/banking information, and other communications. It appears to be a messy can of worms where the consequences of actions are not properly considered.
I beg to differ. I used to be a new Canadian. I was eager to improve my English. At that time, there was no need to do the equivalency, a translation of my diploma was OK. Still, took a year-long program in a college to get some Canadian diploma, in my field. Often such short courses are better than sitting for three years complaining that nobody would hire them.

What's more, after 19 years in Anglo Canada, I have moved to Quebec (with zero French) and am undergoing anew the proverbial adaptation. Quebec requires to do equivalency of diplomas, so you do it, - what is the big deal? The wait may take a month, three months, six month, a year, but you will get it. Again, is it better to sit and complain? I see young- and middle-age newcomers from Arab countries (where French is widely spoken) - they take the same courses as me, to get a Canadian diploma and to break into a profession.

I don't get it. If I, in my late 40s, am able to learn French from nothing, what keeps these new immigrants from doing the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada