Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,698,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The guy who ran down the Canadian soldier in St-Jean was reported to the police by the imam at his mosque.
I hope that fact makes the headlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There certainly didnt seem to be any forewarning from any family or friend regarding this mornings atrocities.
I think the arrest of Salah Abdeslam in Brussels earlier this week (and the broadcasting of it to the public) should have been forewarning enough to everyone that there would be immediate terrorist retaliation in Brussels.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM

26,803 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I hope that fact makes the headlines.
It's old news by now.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,477,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
When people feel integrated, equal and valued members of society the chances of them wanting to become terrorist decrease.
This was written in 2006 and is part of a quote in the Politics forum:

Quote:
Europe's Muslim communities are powder kegs, brimming with an alienation born of the immigrants’ deep antagonism toward an infidel society that rejects them and compounded by misguided immigration policies that enforce their segregation and empower the extremists in their midst."
http://www.city-data.com/forum/43459222-post37.html

The Muslim population of the United States is about 3.3 million. I wonder how accepted they feel these days.

Last edited by cdnirene; 03-23-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,923,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This was written in 2006 and is part of a quote in the Politics forum:

"Europe's Muslim communities are powder kegs, brimming with an alienation born of the immigrants’ deep antagonism toward an infidel society that rejects them and compounded by misguided immigration policies that enforce their segregation and empower the extremists in their midst."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43459222-post37.html

The Muslim population of the United States is about 3.3 million. I wonder how accepted they feel these days.
Deep antagonism towards and "infidel society"? Why would anyone move to a country where they feel antagonistic towards the community of "infidels"?

Since I don't know what an "infidel" is, I looked it up: "a person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own."

Do I understand correctly that some people moved to a new country where they were antagonistic towards the local community of "infidels", and then the newcomers became angry at the people that they apparently didn't really like from the beginning and then ... they decided to kill people in the new country? In my humble opinion, there's something seriously wrong with people who make those decisions, and it sure isn't the fault of the local communities that newcomers make stupid decisions.

Last edited by Lieneke; 03-23-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,477,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Deep antagonism towards and "infidel society"? Why would anyone move to a country where they feel antagonistic towards the community of "infidels"?

Since I don't know what an "infidel" is, I looked it up: "a person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own."

Do I understand correctly that some people moved to a new country where they were antagonistic towards the local community of "infidels", and then the newcomers became angry at the people that they apparently didn't really like from the beginning and then ... they decided to kill people in the new country? In my humble opinion, there's something seriously wrong with people who make those decisions, and it sure isn't the fault of the local communities that newcomers make stupid decisions.
I think the author is saying that the local communities rejected the newcomers, encouraging a "them vs us" environment further fostered by the European countries' policy of creating ghettos. This prevented integation.

You say newcomers but we probably talking second generation now. They haven't moved from anywhere.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:45 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think the author is saying that the local communities rejected the newcomers, encouraging a "them vs us" environment further fostered by the European countries' policy of creating ghettos. This prevented integation.

You say newcomers but we probably talking second generation now. They haven't moved from anywhere.
I think many of the terrorists who have carried out the attacks in France and Belgium have been born in either of those countries. They are either second or even third generation Belgian or French. I don't really see a connection to these people and to Syrian Refugees.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think many of the terrorists who have carried out the attacks in France and Belgium have been born in either of those countries. They are either second or even third generation Belgian or French. I don't really see a connection to these people and to Syrian Refugees.
Sounds like a good reason to be very cautious about bringing over these people by the tens of thousands if they can become radicalized for generations to come.
Their worldwide connection is their religion.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like a good reason to be very cautious about bringing over these people by the tens of thousands if they can become radicalized for generations to come.
Their worldwide connection is their religion.
Who can't become radicalized? John Maquire became radicalized. I think there are other problems at the root of ISIS and the problems related to terrorism that would give more bang for the buck then shuttering our doors to refugees simply because they are Muslim.

I think It becomes very dangerous when we connect the collective behaviour of any group with a religion. Yes there are some horrible examples of Islamic fundamentalism ie terrorist attacks. I wouldn't deny that but what do we lose with this abundance of caution? I think we lose a lot of who we are at the hands of a very small minority of people. We are also speculating that these people will become radicalized in Canada to the same degree as some Euro countries. Let's not forget as well, the majority of Muslim French and Belgian people are good and are not radicalized at all.

I am in the worlds largest Islamic state (Indonesia) right now and the people couldn't be any more kind and welcoming. It would be a horrible injustice for these people and to my spirit if I came here with the attitude that at any moment, I will be will blown up by some lunatic fundamentalist. I could be cautious and not engage with these people or I can engage in the best form of diplomacy there is, making friends and accepting people who are different than I am whilst learning we aren't all so different.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-24-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Cant fault your viewpoint Fusion its definitely more politically correct than mine,its just that personally i've become a little wary of Islam, i guess we could call it a budding case of Islamophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada