U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 AM

3,896 posts, read 2,723,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4X8 View Post
In Europe they have nice housing projects for refugees using shipping container homes. Canada has a lot of shipping containers too.

source
I clicked on your link to see the inside of a container. There's room for one double bed. One of the housing challenges being faced in Canada is that the Syrian families are typically large - 6, 8, or 10 people are not unusual. Where would they all sleep in a small container?

Besides, marginalizing the newcomers by placing them in ghettos is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM

3,274 posts, read 3,689,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I clicked on your link to see the inside of a container. There's room for one double bed. One of the housing challenges being faced in Canada is that the Syrian families are typically large - 6, 8, or 10 people are not unusual. Where would they all sleep in a small container?

Maybe only small, nuclear families should be brought in. Those large families also indicate traditionalism, which correlates with poor integration success.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:49 AM

44 posts, read 32,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

You can build any volume with shipping containers. Containers can be combined to get large floors or high ceilings. Anything.

If you need a room for 10 people it's possible to add a few containers in one space.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:10 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,372 times
Refugees? Of course.

Why wouldn't we?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4X8 View Post
In Europe they have nice housing projects for refugees using shipping container homes. Canada has a lot of shipping containers too.

Nice plan you've posted, with a bit of creativity heres another idea=
http://www.towertrip.com/wp-content/...4.17.23-PM.png

Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM

3,896 posts, read 2,723,463 times
Syrian refugee children experience tobogganing for the first time in Peterborough:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mXZT...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-20-2016, 02:02 PM

1,284 posts, read 897,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
I dont know why people keep dissing Harper about this , he clearly stated he would have let refugees in albeit at a slower pace due to more thorough background checks...how is that so bad ?_ only sounds prudent to me considering where these come from

I welcome refugees but muslims aren't the most desirable_especially arab muslims , bottom of the list if you ask me....
I agree with this, especially the need for more thorough background checks.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:52 PM

12,666 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Yes I support bringing refugees to Canada. My gut feeling is that most Canadians do. We do it all the time and have had larger groups of refugees in the past.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:53 AM

449 posts, read 278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I support bringing refugees to Canada. My gut feeling is that most Canadians do. We do it all the time and have had larger groups of refugees in the past.
If only more Americans felt the same way. Some of the nicest people I know here strongly oppose taking in refugees. Aside from the attack in Vancouver, I think most Canadians are responding to the crisis in a beautiful way.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:11 AM

5,684 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
If only more Americans felt the same way. Some of the nicest people I know here strongly oppose taking in refugees. Aside from the attack in Vancouver, I think most Canadians are responding to the crisis in a beautiful way.
My grandparents were refugees with big families, a funny religion (imagine loving your enemies!), many languages and not one of them French or English, a reputation for not assimilating, going to a community whose inhabitants had been regarded as enemy aliens as the result of war with Germany, and going to a country where 'ethnic' immigrants were stigmatized. They managed and several of their descendants are in the government.

The new refugees will, I suspect, do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or