Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Cant fault your viewpoint Fusion its definitely more politically correct than mine,its just that personally i've become a little wary of Islam, i guess we could call it a budding case of Islamophobia.
I was editing like crazy lol.. Didn't think you'd be so quick to the reply draw. Hey look, I'm not trying to be Politically correct Jambo. I find that term overused, especially as of late in our neck of the woods ie Canamerica against people who are labelled as 'liberals'. I'm not being politically correct or trying to sing the PC gospel- i'm speaking from the heart with a dose of balance from my head I would hope. We can disagree but please don't just dismiss my feelings or thoughts as simply PC or more PC. Its annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Anyway, what happened in Belgium is horrible but let's not forget there are some issues with that country. What country doesn't have them but I suspect at the root of things there are some pretty good conditions that are making it a more fertile breeding ground than other nations in Europe or here in N.A. Also, I think Belgium and even France are becoming a bit more open to using the intelligence approach of countries like the U.S and even Canada who have had better success post 9/11 than they have. I've read that Belgium's intelligence institutions are considered the weakest link in Europe.

Brussels attacks: Belgian intelligence service seen as weak link in Europe

Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was editing like crazy lol.. Didn't think you'd be so quick to the reply draw. Hey look, I'm not trying to be Politically correct Jambo. I find that term overused, especially as of late in our neck of the woods ie Canamerica against people who are labelled as 'liberals'. I'm not being politically correct or trying to sing the PC gospel- i'm speaking from the heart with a dose of balance from my head I would hope. We can disagree but please don't just dismiss my feelings or thoughts as simply PC or more PC. Its annoying
I'd be more than happy to use an alternate term than politically correct it wasnt meant in a derogatory sense it was just the first phrase that came to mind, how about culturally sympathetic instead? or just correct?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
At present I don't think there are any recent migrants from Syria who have been involved in terror attacks.

This doesn't mean that there might not be some in the future (or by their children) but it doesn't seem like a problem at the moment.

The idea that the migrant hordes are infiltrated by secret ISIS operatives does not seem to have any basis at this point.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
A couple of random thoughts:

- Here is a HUGE list of terrorist bombing incidents in London in the 1980s and 1990s by the IRA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...he_Troubles.22 - I wonder if at the time anyone speaking with an Irish accent was feared.

- Killing people by chopping their heads off seems barbaric to me. However, I wonder how many people know that France was doing it as late as 1977. It was the standard method of judicial execution: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I've read that Belgium's intelligence institutions are considered the weakest link in Europe.

Brussels attacks: Belgian intelligence service seen as weak link in Europe
The terrorist who was captured alive last week was only captured by accident. Authorities went to search what they thought was an empty apartment and were very surprised to be met with gunfire.

Now I just heard on CNN that the family of the bomb maker who blew himself up in this week's attack warned authorities about him back in 2013.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
So now it's Belgium's fault this happened. Wow...

Old 03-24-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So now it's Belgium's fault this happened. Wow...
No, but the terrorists will probably find it harder to carry out attacks in other parts of Europe and in North America.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Belgium's weak intelligence is not the "root of things" as was suggested above. Let's not blame the victims here. Let's call a spade a spade, this was Islamic terrorism and that is the only thing to blame here. And I could be wrong, but this is the first time I remember hearing about an attack like this in that country.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think the author is saying that the local communities rejected the newcomers, encouraging a "them vs us" environment further fostered by the European countries' policy of creating ghettos. This prevented integation.

You say newcomers but we probably talking second generation now. They haven't moved from anywhere.
This is the kind of BULLCRAP that I'M SO SICK OF HEARING OVER AND OVER. Every immigrant group that first settles in a new country probably has to face at least some discrimination/racism etc, but do you ever see them all get resentful and turn to terrorism? NO NOT EVER. They go and get educated and work hard and be friendly towards everyone around them and in time they become accepted and they become part of the country they settled in.

That's how its SUPPOSED to work where yes the native population has to be welcoming, BUT the immigrants ALSO have to be open and welcoming to which many Muslims are NOT. In Europe they often stick to their own kind and they often make their neighborhoods UNFRIENDLY AND HOSTILE to anyone who might venture into those places. Contrast that to any Chinese neighborhood in the world that is created in a western nation and non-Chinese are ALWAYS welcomed into those communities. The Chinese WANT people to come to their businesses and spend money there and learn about their culture and traditions etc. And on top of that the Chinese are very peaceful and hardworking people and they generally don't cause much trouble in the countries they immigrated to which you can't say the same for Muslims.

The bottom line is that it has become 'us vs them' between westerners and Muslims is mostly because its THEM that has caused us all this pain and suffering and its THEM who continue to be a burden on us financially where we constantly have to support them and its THEM who keep attacking, raping and committing other various crimes against us that have turned us against them. If most Muslims were as friendly, hard working and crime free as Chinese immigrants are, then we would have no problems with them and our relationship with them would be much different than it is now.

Quote:
I think It becomes very dangerous when we connect the collective behaviour of any group with a religion. Yes there are some horrible examples of Islamic fundamentalism ie terrorist attacks. I wouldn't deny that but what do we lose with this abundance of caution? I think we lose a lot of who we are at the hands of a very small minority of people. We are also speculating that these people will become radicalized in Canada to the same degree as some Euro countries. Let's not forget as well, the majority of Muslim French and Belgian people are good and are not radicalized at all.
No we CAN connect the behavior of Muslims to their religion because NO OTHER PEOPLE who believe in other religions are as violent and commit so many henious acts so many times as Muslims do. PERIOD. When 99% of the world's terrorism is committed by Muslims, then YES you can and SHOULD connect violence and terrorism to Muslims and Islam. Sure there are Muslims in other parts of the world that are more peaceful and less violent, but that DOES NOT apply to Muslims coming out of the Mideast and Africa where many of whom ARE violent and prone to committing terrorism.

And yes its just speculation as to whether or not Muslims in Canada will become radicalized as much as they have been in Europe, but I don't think there's any argument that AT LEAST SOME OF THEM WILL BECOME RADICALIZED and will eventually commit acts of terror either in Canada or elsewhere. Of this there is no dispute. Whether this happens this year, next year or 5-10 years from now who knows, but it WILL HAPPEN. We've already seen dozens of Muslim Canadians already leave the country to go fight with ISIS and we've already seen several Muslim attacks happen in Canada in the past few years.

THIS is the issue that every western nation that has a significant number of Muslim immigrants has to deal with and its why I'm AGAINST bringing in all these Muslim refugees into Canada because you never know if and when some of them will turn on you. You will ALWAYS have to spend countless amounts of resources, manpower and money to keep watch over them because if you don't and one day one or more Muslims commit a major terrorist attack in Canada, the public and media will be all over Canada's security forces for not doing enough to prevent that attack just as they're all over Belgium's security forces for not preventing these current attacks.

But the truth is YOU CAN'T prevent every potential attack because ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO SO. How is it humanly possible for Belgium's intelligence and security assets to keep tabs on even a fraction of the 700,000 Muslims currently living there? The answer is its 100% impossible. So question begs, WHY BRING MUSLIMS INTO OUR NATIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE??

As I've asked again and again, what's so special about Muslims that western countries can't live without them and NEED them to come and live here? If we need and want immigrants, why can't we bring in non-Muslims who likely won't ever commit terrorism against us and cause us much trouble in general? Look at all the Muslims that have flooded the EU now. Again how much untold resources are going to be needed to take care of them and watch over them? Even if a TINY FRACTION of the millions of refugees that are in the EU eventually become terrorists, that's going to be THOUSANDS of Muslims that we will have to spend so much time, energy and money to prevent them from successfully attacking us.

This is why its SO STUPID for Canada to bring in all these refugees, because now we've created a security problem where none existed or was not a huge issue before. Even if only a couple of dozen of these many thousands of Syrians now in Canada become terrorists, that's more than enough to cause Canada's security forces a never ending headache of watching over them indefinitely. Why in the HELL do we want to do this to ourselves?? Why put Canadians at risk by taking in Muslims when we could take in non-Muslim immigrants and not have to worry about any future terrorism threat at all? That's what I don't get about Canada's government having such a hardon for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada