Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Given the current oil market why not just leave the oil underground? Storing it for use by Canadians in the future makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 05:43 AM

225 posts, read 202,961 times
This is such a cluster****. The reaction and namecalling on both sides was ridiculous and unneeded.

And as far as I know, the feds have the last word.

I don't really have an opinion on the pipeline as I am neither knowledgeable about the oil and gas industry nor the environmental impact of pipelines. However, I found the actions or both Coderre and the response from Brian Jean of WildRose pretty unbecoming.

Playing both the Quebec separatist and Western Alienation cards were a low blow.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,942 times
What peoples seems to forget about all the angry attitudes towards Quebec and the NO NO and out of the question attitudes we have toward the pipeline is this ....

What is the point of spending that much money on a pipeline that will not change the situation of oil price on the world market. Some Arab countries are selling at low cost and flooding the market with extra production for one reason.... to make the other producers like Canada that have a fairly high cost of operation to produce oil .... sink and to make it barely capable of operating under these conditions .... Albertans can dream on .... if never going to come back for a long period of time ..... building a pipeline to bring oil to a low market is like building a ROAD TO NOWHERE .....

Ontario Quebec and Atlantic provinces suffered for the last 10 years that this oil craziness policy cause to the exporting companies , that had to deal with an inflated dollar value.... So sorry for your broken dreams ..... but bashing on Quebec NO answer to the pipeline is way much easier ...... Yeah let s go for a Quebec bashing again !!!!!

Maybe during the break you have polluting the environment and making it look like a wasteland from another planet ... you should further down the rivers now full of chemicals that is causing cancers rate spikes in these communities (Indians and others)

I think it s time to look ahead and see what kind of future we want... because when will be time for the cleanup time, we all know that the corporations making the profits .... will be gone.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffix0168 View Post
What peoples seems to forget about all the angry attitudes towards Quebec and the NO NO and out of the question attitudes we have toward the pipeline is this ....

What is the point of spending that much money on a pipeline that will not change the situation of oil price on the world market. Some Arab countries are selling at low cost and flooding the market with extra production for one reason.... to make the other producers like Canada that have a fairly high cost of operation to produce oil .... sink and to make it barely capable of operating under these conditions .... Albertans can dream on .... if never going to come back for a long period of time ..... building a pipeline to bring oil to a low market is like building a ROAD TO NOWHERE .....

Ontario Quebec and Atlantic provinces suffered for the last 10 years that this oil craziness policy cause to the exporting companies , that had to deal with an inflated dollar value.... So sorry for your broken dreams ..... but bashing on Quebec NO answer to the pipeline is way much easier ...... Yeah let s go for a Quebec bashing again !!!!!

Maybe during the break you have polluting the environment and making it look like a wasteland from another planet ... you should further down the rivers now full of chemicals that is causing cancers rate spikes in these communities (Indians and others)

I think it s time to look ahead and see what kind of future we want... because when will be time for the cleanup time, we all know that the corporations making the profits .... will be gone.
Yeah, you make good points and it shows why playing the Western Alienation card was a little out of step and pissed people off. It created more tension between East and West. There wouldn't be a national unity problem (however fabricated by the media), if that card wasn't played. I understand your anger after the Harper decade and his Alberta-centric policies at the expense of the rest of the country, making it pretty hard to feel sorry for Alberta hurting. I am from Atlantic Canada! It just created a lot of anger on both sides, because the East lashed, and the the West lashed back, and it was a mess.

The East is still a little pissed right now. Might want to wait till we get over our Harper-induced PTSD.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
And as far as I know, the feds have the last word.
Yes, they do. Under s. 92(10)(a) of the Constitution, the federal government has jurisdiction over "other Works and Undertakings connecting the Province with any other or others of the Provinces, or extending beyond the Limits of the Province...." This would seem to cover a pipeline.

I cannot comment on M. Coderre's actions or feelings. However, I will say that any rumblings of Western alienation, or seperatism, are overblown. Alberta's local municipal and provincial news makes nothing of it; I'm not reading about it in local media nor seeing it on local TV news here in Alberta. Perhaps it is eastern Canada's media who thinks there is a "Western alienation" problem--but western Canada's media sees no such thing. Admittedly, I do hear such things from the guy on the barstool next to me at the sports bar, but he's had a few, and I point out a great play in the hockey/football/basketball/baseball game, and he comments on it, and forgets about western alienation, and that's the extent of it.

Brian Jean of the Wildrose may make statements, but he's in opposition, and has no control over whatever. If he's in power, then his remarks may mean something, but until then, no.

As an aside, I'm not entirely impressed by Mr. Jean. I was lecturing last year, during the provincial election campaign, and he and his entourage barged into our classroom, interrupting me. The good manners that I learned as a child dictated that I shake his hand and welcome him to our classroom. But it was completely unexpected. Had I been warned, or at least told that he would be visiting, it would be one thing. But a completely unexpected visit? Not cool, IMHO.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 02-02-2016 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 AM

^^^ I figured the Western Alienation was overblown, and that when that card was played, I could honestly picture most people from Alberta being like "huh?" :lol:

Same with Quebec separatism..it's not as much of a thing anymore. And Coderre is not a separatist.

From what I see, this was stirred up by the Conservatives in Parliament more than anybody.

Western Alienation may be a thing now in the East because they blame it for the way Stephen Harper acted and governed. Basically him in power generated Eastern Alienation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada