Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Nowhere else in Canada to my knowledge prides itself on having a local variety of pizza, so we might as well give this one to Windsor! But I'll reserve true judgement until I taste it myself.
Just throwing this idea out there ... maybe that is because other cities have so much other things to be proud of then just pizza. Toronto have a crazy type of variety in terms of types of Pizza. It is just one of the many great things going on. By comparison some places just do not really have that much going on in general so having 10 different types of pizza restaurants might seem like a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:17 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just throwing this idea out there ... maybe that is because other cities have so much other things to be proud of then just pizza. Toronto have a crazy type of variety in terms of types of Pizza. It is just one of the many great things going on. By comparison some places just do not really have that much going on in general so having 10 different types of pizza restaurants might seem like a big deal.
Yeah, Windsor/Essex has 1/15th the population of Greater Toronto so it won't have nearly the breadth of culinary options. However, Windsor/Essex does has a large Middle Eastern neighborhood with a plethora of Middle Eastern restaurants, a 1 km long Little Italy restaurant/café/bakery district, a long strip of Asian restaurants in the University of Windsor neighborhood, and a couple of vibrant areas like Downtown and Old Walkerville that have some fantastic restaurants and bars.

Windsor is where Canadian Club whiskey originates.
In addition, Essex County also has a number of wineries.
Its not just pizza.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Hi, recently I was made aware of "Windsor-style" pizza by a Cleveland, OH poster. I am a lifelong Detroiter and I had never heard of Windsor-style pizza.

I did a little research on-line, and I found this article on the history on Windsor-style pizza and what differentiates it from other kinds of pizza:

Cheese, Please: How Did Pizza Become One of Windsor, Ontario’s Hottest Exports? | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt

In the following article, the author requests a recommendation for an establishment in Toronto offering Windsor-style pizza.

In the comments sections, there is much talk about how Windsor-style Pizza is superior to pizza found in big cities like Toronto and Calgary

Windsor-style pizza in Toronto? - Page 2 - Chowhound

So does Windsor have the best pizza in Canada, or am I reading too much into these couple of articles I found on the internet? What are the pizza hotspots in Canada?
Judging by that picture, I'd say no. First off, good pizza has whole toppings, not julienned bits of meat and whatever else. And banana peppers? No, just... no.

One good pizzeria in town is Pizza Gigi, but the best pizza is the one you make yourself

Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
That picture of "Windsor style pizza" is not very representative of what it should look like. Not sure why that picture was picked.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Ha ha, yeah no! We are not some back woods hillbillies that don't know any better as you seem to be implying. We have many great different restaurants, wineries, micro breweries, festivals, ethnic enclaves and food tourism initiatives, we just perefer our own unique pizza, one we have specialized in for many decades, and do not accept some of the crap other cities try to pass off as good pizza. We are very lucky in this area to have such a great local pizza style all our own!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default I would be happy to try a slice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Ha ha, yeah no! We are not some back woods hillbillies that don't know any better as you seem to be implying. We have many great different restaurants, wineries, micro breweries, festivals, ethnic enclaves and food tourism initiatives, we just perefer our own unique pizza, one we have specialized in for many decades, and do not accept some of the crap other cities try to pass off as good pizza. We are very lucky in this area to have such a great local pizza style all our own!
Hey I would be happy to try a slice ... to bad you don't deliver to Toronto !

Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Wonder if my local pizza joint has heard of Windsor pizza. i'm sure if i showed him a pic he could reproduce it=

Manzo Pizzeria Menu | Order Online for Delivery

Old 02-26-2016, 11:10 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I kind of agree with UrbanLuis being from Western Canada the only Pizza we are really famous for is Halifax's Donair style Pizza being much like New York style and Boston deep dish in terms of being known and served in other locations and cities across Canada.

The rest of our Pizza places (be the Chain or Mom and Pop type places) vary from Horrible and Ok to Great/Amazing but their pizza are not original and tend to follow traditional Pizza formulas for me a made to order thin crispy crust and deli sliced that day ingredients make the best type of pizza ( I generally prefer New York style)

But like most popular food such Pizza parlors to Hamburger Joints it is to each their own what they like the best and there is no really definitive best in pizza in Canada....

Unless TLC or the Food Network offer me a show where I travel the country trying all the pizzas offered from pizza parlors across Canada from the Pacific, Atlantic and all the up to the Arctic it will be hard for me to make a choice

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Well I was at the pub yesterday with friends who harken from Toronto, New Brunswick, Alberta, and here. No one had heard of Windsor Style Pizza.
I did see that a place in Calgary's is offering it now. Maybe it's heading west to Vancouver!

Old 02-26-2016, 02:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I kind of agree with UrbanLuis being from Western Canada the only Pizza we are really famous for is Halifax's Donair style Pizza being much like New York style and Boston deep dish in terms of being known and served in other locations and cities across Canada.

The rest of our Pizza places (be the Chain or Mom and Pop type places) vary from Horrible and Ok to Great/Amazing but their pizza are not original and tend to follow traditional Pizza formulas for me a made to order thin crispy crust and deli sliced that day ingredients make the best type of pizza ( I generally prefer New York style)

But like most popular food such Pizza parlors to Hamburger Joints it is to each their own what they like the best and there is no really definitive best in pizza in Canada....

Unless TLC or the Food Network offer me a show where I travel the country trying all the pizzas offered from pizza parlors across Canada from the Pacific, Atlantic and all the up to the Arctic it will be hard for me to make a choice
I would think a "uniquely " Canadian pizza is the " all dressed ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada