Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is it they think Trump is going to do that living through a Canadian winter is a preferable course of action?
Also subjecting themselves to a lengthy bureaucratic immigration procedure that doesnt guarantee success.
Personally i think the people who espouse this idea are just the usual republican whiners who hate everything even their own democratic voting process, the usual all torque no traction types.
Yeah sure if Trump wins come Canada.
Tell you what lets trade, ya'll come on up and deal with this for 4-5 months a year http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSC00064.jpg
and i'll go down there and deal with a President Trump=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps404ae05e.jpg
It seem people from the US think of Canada as a state that doesn't benefit from the union; one they can move to whenever the fancy strikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
For an American in one of the NAFTA occupations, applying for a job may be a good route as well!
I don't think so. The Canadian economy is tanking, and will continue on this trend for a couple of years. Tens of thousand of people are out of work due to the price of oil, and the indecisive new governments. There's room for people who have no where to live (refugees), but there's not much room for people who are simply looking to take jobs that are already in short supply. Everyone from unskilled labour to extremely qualified professionals are out of work in Canada.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,724 times
Trump is a nut, no doubt about it. As one who reads - rather than watches - news I admittedly don't see the extent of it, so I tend to judge more on the ideas (such as they are) than the obvious lunacy of Trump and his followers.

But ...

If you take one of his extreme statements - to ban Muslim immigrants - an Angus Reed poll found 36% of Americans, and 33% of Canadians agree. (The poll mentioend a permanent ban, while Trump's proposal was temporary.) That's not a big difference, perhaps not worth moving over.

As for the wall with Mexico ... Canada already has one, it's the USA. Our former PM Harper (for those Americans who don't know) required Mexicans to apply for visas, effectively creating a regulatory wall that did not make Mexico happy. It's safe to say progressive states in the US are more freindly to broad Latin immigration than is Canada - unless of course you have a college degree. So we are perhaps not that different in substance on these two issues... Even when it comes to style we had the Ford brothers!

And hey, Trump says he loves Canadians - and he used to love our health care system!

True, it would be great to see US elections more reasonable than they are. Cruz is as much of a nut as Trump. And I'm not sure I trust Clinton (At least we have a PM who opposed the Iraq war), but the alternative on the right is scary.

Come to Canada if you'd like! But of its b/c you don't like the likes of Trump, I'd say challenge him at home. (Of course you can always come herr vote absentee ...)

Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Trump is a nut, no doubt about it. As one who reads - rather than watches - news I admittedly don't see the extent of it, so I tend to judge more on the ideas (such as they are) than the obvious lunacy of Trump and his followers.

But ...

If you take one of his extreme statements - to ban Muslim immigrants - an Angus Reed poll found 36% of Americans, and 33% of Canadians agree. (The poll mentioend a permanent ban, while Trump's proposal was temporary.) That's not a big difference, perhaps not worth moving over.

As for the wall with Mexico ... Canada already has one, it's the USA. Our former PM Harper (for those Americans who don't know) required Mexicans to apply for visas, effectively creating a regulatory wall that did not make Mexico happy. It's safe to say progressive states in the US are more freindly to broad Latin immigration than is Canada - unless of course you have a college degree. So we are perhaps not that different in substance on these two issues... Even when it comes to style we had the Ford brothers!

And hey, Trump says he loves Canadians - and he used to love our health care system!

True, it would be great to see US elections more reasonable than they are. Cruz is as much of a nut as Trump. And I'm not sure I trust Clinton (At least we have a PM who opposed the Iraq war), but the alternative on the right is scary.

Come to Canada if you'd like! But of its b/c you don't like the likes of Trump, I'd say challenge him at home. (Of course you can always come herr vote absentee ...)
I don't know much about it, but it seems like the Democrats focus on health care and social issues, while Republicans inevitably go to war. It's probably time for a Republican government. Will Trump still care about health care and peace, or will he be too much like Putin? Syria is a time bomb waiting to happen if the US were to oppose Russia in Syria. It would be like Saudi Arabia and Iran in Yemen, fighting each other in someone else's backyard, except Russia and the US have arsenals.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Hard to say. If I were Mexican-American, or muslim I might be a tad concerned.

Majority? No where has anyone stated that a majority of Americans would move.

The threat of moving, and actually doing it are totally different anyway.
I'm Middle Eastern, so Trump scares me a bit.

Quote:
Good for you...Canada needs more doctors
Hmm...do they need more software developers?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Hmm...do they need more software developers?
No. Canada does not need skilled, unskilled, or professional employees. Tens of thousands of all three categories are out of work in Canada today. However, if you could prove value to a company like Blackberry, you might have a future as an outhouse using igloo dweller.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Hard to say. If I were Mexican-American, or muslim I might be a tad concerned.

Majority? No where has anyone stated that a majority of Americans would move.

The threat of moving, and actually doing it are totally different anyway.
Why would you be concerned if you were Mexican American? Trump is ONLY against illegal immigration, which is by definition against the law. He never said anything against legal Mexicans living in the US, who should be against illegal immigrations in general as well. If the Canadian government launch a crack down against illegal Chinese immigration into Canada, I would be totally in favour of it.

As to Muslims, Trump, believe it or not, is no worse than Bush or Obama, who directly cause the chaos, misery and indirectly murdered millions of lives in Muslim countries. I guess those are not Americans lives so who cares. Trump simply said "temporarily closes to the door the Muslims to figure out what is going on" - not politically correct but not exactly resulting in any death.

I am not exactly a fan of Trump, but I despise hypocritical and greedy Hilary Clinton way much more. She is always blah blah blah yet not saying anything meaningful.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Then you are clueless about who are a bigger threat to Middle Eastern countries.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:14 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't think so. The Canadian economy is tanking, and will continue on this trend for a couple of years. Tens of thousand of people are out of work due to the price of oil, and the indecisive new governments. There's room for people who have no where to live (refugees), but there's not much room for people who are simply looking to take jobs that are already in short supply. Everyone from unskilled labour to extremely qualified professionals are out of work in Canada.
BC is the bright spot, but please stay in the US and try and fix your broken political system....

British Columbia expects to lead the provinces with economic growth of 2.4 per cent this year as it weathers the resource sector’s slump and posts a fourth consecutive balanced budget.

B.C. expected to lead provinces in growth as it leans on non-resource industries - The Globe and Mail

Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Mass migration from the USA to Canada ... oh no!!! We might need to start working on building a wall to defend our boarders !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada