Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I wonder why the poll was taken of only those 4 countries and not all 16 Commonwealth Realms that have Queen Elizabeth as monarch?
The reason is simple: such a policy can only work if all the involved countries have similar standard of living, so that the movement is multi-directional, instead of being one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
On the surface I like the idea.

Can anyone think of any cons?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
Thanks, Zoii, I never realized these 16 nations including Belize (which actually has a sizeable Spanish speaking population) and Jamaica kept the Queen. Well, that would be interesting to have free movement although its a bit of an odd grouping. Now that I know the list includes countries with some diversity of peoples and climates, I like the idea more ... of course, we might want to add some caveats that often come with free movement, as the EU, Mercosur or Australia and New Zealand do (perhaps requiring criminal background checks and limiting access to welfare until one goes through a process of working and becoming a permanent resident). To address Botti's point pragmatically, these are not large countries (population wise) excepting perhaps Papua New Guinea, so even if many choose to come here, it would not be a huge influx of people to Canada. And it would be a great opportunity for Canadians - who wouldn't then need to flock to Victoria to escape the snow.

I don't see anything wrong with the four having free movement as there are some commonalities that make sense, as well as probably political support for the idea. And it would be great to see Canada broaden our horizons. But I am not thrilled with limiting to that list for a few reasons. First, it starts to read like a list of white colonial nations and their UK master. Even though all of these societies are becoming more diverse, such an agreement seems to take us back to the pre-1964 days when the UK and the US were "preferred" sources of immigration (so long as the Americans in question were white). By opening it up more broadly we could avoid that. It also completely ignores French Canada - why not free movement with France? Or other Francophone nations?

Secondly, while from a purely lifestyle point of view it makes sense to choose English speaking nations (ease of movement for workers who can work in their own language), and it opens up different climates, it doesn't do a lot to broaden our horizons by going to these countries. It would be far more interesting culturally for me to spend time in, say Latin America or Asia. It may also enrich our own culture more.

Third, I think there's the question of why we would ignore the elephant in the room (the U.S.) I know, I know - we don't want to be overwhelmed by a country that is 9 times our population, so similar (for Anglophones) yet different politically. At the same time there are so many natural connections, established through hundreds of years of cross border movements and commerce - whether the French Canadian heritage of many New Englanders, or the vibrant ethnic communities in New York, Montreal and Toronto, or the influences of Jazz music. Now, I wouldn't argue for free movement per se, but if we are discussing it with other nations, let's look at our NAFTA relationship, not just our relationship with the remnants of the Empire. (I know there are many family connections among UK, Australia and Canada as well - immigrants from the UK to Canada, as well as immigrants from all over the world to Canada or Australia). It seems odd to me if we'd suddenly see an influx of Aussies, Pohms and Kiwis in BC, while it still remains rare to meet a Washingtonian, and while seasonal workers from Mexico or Guyana have no path to settle here.

Finally, while the common language, and even level of economic development are relevant, we may want to tread lightly on the importance of the Queen to all of this and focus more on what binds our nations - as perhaps close to half of Canadians (including most Quebecois) and a majority of Australians do not support the monarchy.

Let's not also forget that these 4 countries, and several others, already have working holiday programs with Canada.

Last edited by docwatson; 03-18-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 04:17 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
In actuality, I think another issue for the smaller nations would be the influx of "foreign" money. It's all well and good for tourists, but think if all of a sudden Canadians could use small Caribbean nations as a new national base. A defacto 11th province.

Actually that's not an entirely bad idea now that Cuba will be ruined by being over-run by Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada