U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:11 PM

298 posts, read 195,845 times

Advertisements

I know that this topic has been discussed many times on similar threads, but I just wanted to clarify out of the arbitrary that if Americans still believe Canadians are nice and friendly people? I just wanted to get an opinion on how they feel when they come up here and how they get treated by any other Canadian citizen, I hear on many occasions that Americans always assumed Canadians were friendly and nice? How are Americans really like then? if they find Canadians so friendly and nice? I'm pretty sure many Americans have different opinions and perspective of Canadians, Many would say Canadians are more polite and civil but not friendly. I myself don't find Canadians any different from Americans, they both have the same types of friendly and unfriendly people.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 03-28-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:16 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
I hear Americans say that Canadians are polite and civil more than I hear them say that Canadians are friendly.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:20 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,456,433 times
Maybe you should ask on the world forum.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:27 PM

98 posts, read 205,183 times
Vague question and similiar response I am a canadian living in the usa 25 yrs and 35 in canada .All our relatives are mostly in BC , ont, and PQ. I would say yes . cdns are more freindly and welcoming , but it depends which state/city you live in compared to which province /city in canada.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 AM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:

I just wanted to get an opinion on how they feel when they come up here and how they get treated by any other Canadian citizen, I hear on many occasions that Americans always assumed Canadians were friendly and nice?
I agree with Zortation, I think you would get better results with responses from Americans if you ask a moderator to move your thread or if you re-post your question in the World Forum where interested Americans will see the post.

To answer your question from a Canadian's perspective - The general impression I've gotten from American visitors is that they find Canadians polite and civil and easy to get along with but reserved on a personal level and more politically correct and guarded in speech than what Americans are accustomed to for themselves. I don't believe Americans can consider Canadians particularly friendly and nice since by comparison Americans are very, very friendly and outgoing, they are sometimes too friendly by Canadian standards, so the reserved and more private Canadians would have to really put themselves out there to match Americans in that regard.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 AM

23,058 posts, read 12,281,155 times
Yes -- Americans are guilty of stereotyping just like Canadians ;-)

Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 PM

11,048 posts, read 4,855,666 times
I've been to the Vancouver area on and off (my mother and her side of the family is from there) growing up, and visited other cities and other provinces as an adult many times.

No complaints from me. The city I'm in now, San Francisco, could take a few pointers in how to be civil in a city.

Well, except for the Air Canada flight attendants. They seem kinda mean.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 PM

873 posts, read 813,674 times
The Canadian stereotype isn't that Canadians are friendly. It's that Canadians are polite. There's a difference.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 AM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The Canadian stereotype isn't that Canadians are friendly. It's that Canadians are polite. There's a difference.
Exactly!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,586,952 times
I've never had any problems with any Canadians.
I've always liked them as a people and throughout all my travels (mostly B.C. and the Yukon) I've never had any issues.

That said, sure, there are "good" and "bad" people and aspects, in any country. Canada has a fraction of the population numbers that we do in the States. So say for example, point-two percent "bad" people in the U.S. makes for a greater number than does .2% in Canada. Obviously there is more "room" in Canada, the population density is far less.

Have always been somewhat jealous of the life in Canada, but not of the weather, of course. I imagine that Canadians get as frustrated with their government and politicians as we do with ours, little difference there too.

Heck, even the girls at the customs/border check on the Canadian side were polite to me. I was tempted to propose to them all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada