Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Accounting giant KPMG says Canada has proven to be second most competitive market in a comparison test of 10 leading industrial countries.

In its report, KPMG says Canada lags only behind Mexico when it comes to how little businesses have to pay for labour, facilities, transportation and taxes.

The report, which compared the competitiveness of a number of western countries along with Australia and Japan, found that a high U.S. dollar has helped Canada stay affordable despite rising office real estate costs and lower federal tax credits.
2016 Ranking:

1. Mexico (1)
2. Canada (2)
3. The Netherlands (3)
4. Italy (6)
5. Australia (8)
6. France (5)
7. United Kingdom (4)
8. Germany (10)
9. Japan (7)
10. United States (9)

The number in brackets represents the ranking in 2014 when the last report was released.

Canada ranks No. 2 among 10 countries for cost competitiveness: report - The Globe and Mail

Canada keeps top spot as cost competitive mature market | KPMG | CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 PM

218 posts, read 509,866 times
Whatever, I guess, that's why everything's more expensive than in the States (even remote ones, like Hawaii) and the services are crap, because Canada is so competitive market. Who gives a flying damn, keep strokin'.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Whatever, I guess, that's why everything's more expensive than in the States (even remote ones, like Hawaii) and the services are crap, because Canada is so competitive market. Who gives a flying damn, keep strokin'.
Umm, I guess you haven't noticed that the Canadian dollar is in the toilet and that's why many things are more expensive. That fact that as a result the Canadian market is very cost-competitive is the silver lining in that cloud as it helps to stimulate business activity and growth and creates more jobs. You might not "give a flying damn" but those who benefit certainly care.

As far as services is concerned, if you normally respond to positive news with such an ugly attitude, I can imagine that service people find you a joy to interact with and treat you accordingly.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Umm, I guess you haven't noticed that the Canadian dollar is in the toilet and that's why many things are more expensive. That fact that as a result the Canadian market is very cost-competitive is the silver lining in that cloud as it helps to stimulate business activity and growth and creates more jobs. You might not "give a flying damn" but those who benefit certainly care.

As far as services is concerned, if you normally respond to positive news with such an ugly attitude, I can imagine that service people find you a joy to interact with and treat you accordingly.
Even when the CAD was at parity, typically things in Canada are 10-15 percent more expensive than in the U.S.. Since the dollar has dipped, the only thing I've noticed that has gone up is the cost of some food items. Totally offset by the lower cost of gas since oil starting tanking in 14. I get paid the same (more due to raises), my rent is the same aside from yearly increases that happen regardless of what the value of the CAD is, Car payment the same etc. I just haven't seen any differences of note where I live.

Speaking of the CAD dollar - its actually quietly going up.. Its gone from a low of .68 cents USD back in January to now .77 cents at the end of March...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Even when the CAD was at parity, typically things in Canada are 10-15 percent more expensive than in the U.S.. Since the dollar has dipped, the only thing I've noticed that has gone up is the cost of some food items. Totally offset by the lower cost of gas since oil starting tanking in 14. I get paid the same (more due to raises), my rent is the same aside from yearly increases that happen regardless of what the value of the CAD is, Car payment the same etc. I just haven't seen any differences of note where I live.

Speaking of the CAD dollar - its actually quietly going up.. Its gone from a low of .68 cents USD back in January to now .77 cents at the end of March...
Maybe in part due to this:

Canada's Economy Smashes All Expectations In January

Let's hope for solid growth but not before the manufacturing engine enjoys a re-surge due to lower costs of exported products.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I get paid the same (more due to raises), my rent is the same aside from yearly increases that happen regardless of what the value of the CAD is, Car payment the same etc. I just haven't seen any differences of note where I live.
Well, that's the point. Domestic Canadian costs, including labor, don't generally change when the Canadian dollar weakens. It could still, for example, result in a product selling for the same price in Canadian dollars. The price is just much more attractive expressed in U.S. dollar equivalent than it was when our dollar was stronger. That makes the product more competitive in the U.S. market. It allows companies to grow and reach certain economies of scale which will help reduce costs when the dollar eventually strengthens.

On the other hand, imports are more expensive. I just bought the new iPad Pro. I winced when I saw the price I would have paid if the Canadian dollar had been at par with the U.S. Dollar.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I honestly didn't notice things were getting more expensive, maybe only if you shop in the US often. In 2008 when CAD was higher than USD, things didn't exactly become cheap either. Price can be quite sticky.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Maybe in part due to this:

Canada's Economy Smashes All Expectations In January

Let's hope for solid growth but not before the manufacturing engine enjoys a re-surge due to lower costs of exported products.
I read that and its good news! I think the Canadian economy is more robust and diverse than some give it credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I honestly didn't notice things were getting more expensive, maybe only if you shop in the US often. In 2008 when CAD was higher than USD, things didn't exactly become cheap either. Price can be quite sticky.
This has been my experience as well. I also don't have a particularly strong affiliation for a name or brand of anything so that may help as well. If the price of a brand of phone or computer goes up, i'll be sure to pick up the competitions product that hasn't.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-31-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada