Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,723,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Your welcome anytime man, let me know.
Ok you got a deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,900,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Controlling immigration is a good thing. We can't keep letting people come in with no checks. We don't know who these people are....
They do jobs most Americans won't.
We are not talking about illegal immigrants. This is about legal immigration, a completely different kettle of fish.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 PM

26,766 posts, read 37,679,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sometimes we all just need a confirmation. I'm glad you stated and clarified that. I will not ask such a question again.
Wasn't my comment that I was playing the devil's advocate a good tip-off?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:24 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,036,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
People like the OP would probably disown their son/daughter (but especially their daughter) for marrying the wrong type of foreigner. Racial bigotry runs deep in this country, regardless of what people think.
Why is it 'racial bigotry' to want to marry someone of similar background/ethnicity or wanting your son/daughter to do so? Just because there is diversity in Canada's population, it doesn't mean we must all mix on a romantic level. And just because say a white person says they want to marry white it doesn't make them racist. I'm damn sure no one would care one bit if a black person said they only wanted to marry black or an asian person said they only wanted to marry another asian person. But as soon as a white person says it, its WRONG and we must do our best to stomp out all that racism. >_>

This is why I hate alot of TV commercials these days that have mixed couples, like cmon do we really need that kind of thing shoved down our throats? I don't really care who people like and want to marry, I just wish people didn't make it sound so wrong if people publicly stated they prefer to marry someone that's of similar background to them.

Quote:
I actually read a study conducted some years back where they interviewed Canadian parents on how they would react to their adult children marrying someone of a different religion (and not necessarily a foreigner). B.C was the most tolerant, followed by Ontario and Atlantic Canada, with the Prairies right at the bottom.

Not surprisingly, Islam was the least favored religion in all regions.
Of course Islam is at the bottom of the barrel, because its the most troublesome religion that can't ever seem to stay out of the news for bad things. There is literally NOTHING that is good about Islam and it contributes ABSOLUTE NOTHING to humankind other than oppression, suppression of free thinking, unrest, violence and death.

That's why we need LESS Muslims in Canada and in the world and not more and that's why we should get our immigrants from elsewhere other than the Mideast or Africa. Just look at what's happening in Europe and how those Muslims make it sound like its their God given right to invade our nations in endless masses and DEMAND that we take care of them all. When they're already behaving like that on our borders, why in the HELL would we want these kinds of people in our countries causing even more crap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Canada's still not interesting enough. Not for my taste. We need more people. We should bring in double the number of immigrants that we currently have coming. Yes, I'm serious.
I really wish that we could have a question on our tax forms or something where you were forced to answer a question of whether or not you were in favor or against allowing refugees and poor immigrants into the country and that if you answered yes, then you would be required to pay a special tax to support thoses people while those who answered no didn't have to pay that tax. I'm pretty much sick and tired of seeing my tax dollars going towards these people when I and many others DO NOT want refugees here. If people are willing to put up money, clothing, housing etc to personally support bringing a refugee family into Canada and taking care of them and being responsible for them all on their own then that's fine, but to bring in thousands upon thousands of refugees where Canadian taxpayers have to pay for them, then HELL NO.

I'm pro-immigrantion, but I want CONTROLLED immigration whereby we allow people into the country that can contribute without requiring a ton of assistance to get off the ground and more importantly won't do us any harm either by committing everyday crime or by terrorism. So to me that means as few blacks and Muslims as possible. Call me racist all you want, but Somali immigrants are a prime example of the kind of people we should be KEEPING OUT rather than bringing in. In recent years its just been ALOT of trouble from them that we wouldn't have had to deal with if we had replaced them with say more Chinese immigrants. Instead of dealing with more crime and murder, we'd just have more good Chinese restaurants to try out here, more fun Chinese events that we could go to and more cute Chinese girls to checkout.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,674,277 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Why is it 'racial bigotry' to want to marry someone of similar background/ethnicity or wanting your son/daughter to do so? Just because there is diversity in Canada's population, it doesn't mean we must all mix on a romantic level. And just because say a white person says they want to marry white it doesn't make them racist. I'm damn sure no one would care one bit if a black person said they only wanted to marry black or an asian person said they only wanted to marry another asian person. But as soon as a white person says it, its WRONG and we must do our best to stomp out all that racism. >_>

This is why I hate alot of TV commercials these days that have mixed couples, like cmon do we really need that kind of thing shoved down our throats? I don't really care who people like and want to marry, I just wish people didn't make it sound so wrong if people publicly stated they prefer to marry someone that's of similar background to them.

Of course Islam is at the bottom of the barrel, because its the most troublesome religion that can't ever seem to stay out of the news for bad things. There is literally NOTHING that is good about Islam and it contributes ABSOLUTE NOTHING to humankind other than oppression, suppression of free thinking, unrest, violence and death.

That's why we need LESS Muslims in Canada and in the world and not more and that's why we should get our immigrants from elsewhere other than the Mideast or Africa. Just look at what's happening in Europe and how those Muslims make it sound like its their God given right to invade our nations in endless masses and DEMAND that we take care of them all. When they're already behaving like that on our borders, why in the HELL would we want these kinds of people in our countries causing even more crap??

I really wish that we could have a question on our tax forms or something where you were forced to answer a question of whether or not you were in favor or against allowing refugees and poor immigrants into the country and that if you answered yes, then you would be required to pay a special tax to support thoses people while those who answered no didn't have to pay that tax. I'm pretty much sick and tired of seeing my tax dollars going towards these people when I and many others DO NOT want refugees here. If people are willing to put up money, clothing, housing etc to personally support bringing a refugee family into Canada and taking care of them and being responsible for them all on their own then that's fine, but to bring in thousands upon thousands of refugees where Canadian taxpayers have to pay for them, then HELL NO.

I'm pro-immigrantion, but I want CONTROLLED immigration whereby we allow people into the country that can contribute without requiring a ton of assistance to get off the ground and more importantly won't do us any harm either by committing everyday crime or by terrorism. So to me that means as few blacks and Muslims as possible. Call me racist all you want, but Somali immigrants are a prime example of the kind of people we should be KEEPING OUT rather than bringing in. In recent years its just been ALOT of trouble from them that we wouldn't have had to deal with if we had replaced them with say more Chinese immigrants. Instead of dealing with more crime and murder, we'd just have more good Chinese restaurants to try out here, more fun Chinese events that we could go to and more cute Chinese girls to checkout.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 AM

854 posts, read 582,134 times
As an employee (rather than self-employed person), I can see both sides of this debate.

I can see how immigrants DO compete for jobs and in high numbers, can drive down wages.

I can also see how immigrants generate employment (my aunt has been running a business since the late 80's that is now very lucrative and employs many people, usually Canadian-born but not always). On a personal level, immigrants have enriched my life with my best friend having been born in a foreign country (Bahrain) and a long-time friend having been born in Romania. I appreciate learning about different cultures and how life is in other countries. It's also a really cool experience learning just how alike we all are (my best friend also grew up listening to the Deftones, like me. Some things are just universal!)

So I can see both sides, for sure. I know that real estate prices are being driven super high by something that is artificial. I don't know if it's immigrants per se, or actual foreign ownership. So it would be nice to sort of clear that up.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM

854 posts, read 582,134 times
Quote:

Um, first of all, as a black person, I would definitely say it's racist if another black person said that they're against their son or daughter marrying someone of a different race, and have. Do not purport to speak on behalf of people groups you are not part of and likely have no interaction with.

Second of all, seeing couples who happen to have different ethnicities is "shoving [something] down your throat"? Yeah, that's pretty freakin' racist. Couples like the one I am in exist. Why shouldn't they be reflected in the media if we're reflected on the planet? Hello?! Racist much?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,674,277 times
Default Smart marketing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Um, first of all, as a black person, I would definitely say it's racist if another black person said that they're against their son or daughter marrying someone of a different race, and have. Do not purport to speak on behalf of people groups you are not part of and likely have no interaction with.

Second of all, seeing couples who happen to have different ethnicities is "shoving [something] down your throat"? Yeah, that's pretty freakin' racist. Couples like the one I am in exist. Why shouldn't they be reflected in the media if we're reflected on the planet? Hello?! Racist much?
Showing mixed race/ cultural couples in ads has little do with social consciousness, but good business sense. It gives you the ability to pull in more potential viewers of your ads that can relate in th most basic of senses. Ads and marketing are usually motivated by dollars. If adds reflecting more diversity pull in more dollars then that will be what is featured. I am pretty sure the person who is selling tooth paste does not care if you are a purple people eater as long as they can get you to buy their product. Rest assured that if you are against people marrying outside of their race, culture or religion these ads are not being made to promote certain marriage choices, but to sell products unless you are looking at an ad promoting finding a mail order bride/ lover like the ones often featured on online forums !

Old 04-11-2016, 11:55 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,900,119 times
Quote:

It's ironic that you rail against mixed relationships and the last sentence of your post talks about "cute Chinese girls to check out". Are you saying it's OK as long as you don't date them?

First of all, I was referring to parents interfering in their kids' decisions, which is quite a bit different from someone expressing their preferences.

Secondly, what influences preferences? Sure, someone may instinctively be attracted to a particular race (either their own or another) and there's nothing that can be done about that. But at the more conscious level, people like you have been brainwashed into thinking that someone who looks different is culturally different. This is just stereotyping and yes it's bigotry. Someone who looks Asian or Black may have been in Canada for generations and may be just like you. Someone who looks white may be new to Canada and may not share the same background as you.
And I would definitely criticize any Indian, Chinese, Black or Muslim for practicing ethnic bigotry by insisting on keeping their marriages in the community, especially when it's the 2nd generation that does it to their 3rd generation kids. We all need to mix.

As for marriages between a Canadian and a non-Canadian who is clearly of a different culture, yes there can be major issues there. But that doesn't mean it can't work out, and parents should not try to force their adult children's decisions.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM

7,240 posts, read 9,217,792 times
I have several multi-ethnic/religious couples in my family. I don't think you can conflate religion and ethnicity. One of my supposedly non-religious family members was in a relationship with a supposedly non-religious Jew and it didn't take long for her inner Mennonite to spring to the fore and his inner Jew to do the same. You don't always realise what is important until it is important.

However, white is not a race nor a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada