Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 06:06 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Credit is a two way street.. Something you're really not very good at.. Good thing for the U.S, you're not responsible for its diplomacy. Keep on typing keystroke warrior..
I'll give you one: British Columbia is beautiful. Happy now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Economy is in shambles!!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
U.S. oil imports are shrinking drastically: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...s=MTTNTUS2&f=A

We import less oil today than at any point in the past 50 years. And Canada needs the U.S. to sell its oil far more than the U.S. needs Canada's environmentally destructive oil sands. If the U.S. were so beholden with Canadian oil, why did Obama reject Keystone XL? Canada has much less leverage than it thinks.

1) U.S. is producing more domestically. As of June 2015, the U.S. surpassed Russia as the world's largest producer of oil and natural gas: U.S. Ousts Russia as Top World Oil, Gas Producer in BP Data - Bloomberg

2) U.S. solar and wind power is taking off: Fitch: Smooth Sailing Ahead for US Wind Power | Business Wire

3) U.S. is getting more energy efficient. Our cars must average 54.5 miles per gallon in 9 years: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...iency-standard

That will reduce oil imports by 2,000,000 barrels of oil per day. The U.S. imports 3,558,000 barrels of oil from Canada each day. So energy efficiency alone would erase 56% of what Canada provides. And imports are now only 21% of consumption, a record low: Forecast: In 2015, Imported Oil Will Make Up Just 21% of US Consumption

So Canada's golden goose is increasingly meaningless for the U.S. market.

And we're entering a post-oil Era. Not a good time for any petrodollar economy.
How can so many people have no idea how much they rely on petroleum products in everyday life!

If people from the US want to give up their dependence on oil, start by giving up your linoleum, plastics (electric cars are made of plastic), rubber tires (even on the tricycles), fake leather shoes, the soles of your shoes, your rain coat ... give it all up ... no more electric cars, bicycles, boats ... get a horse.

Canada's golden goose will be in extremely high demand as long as people in the US consume plastics, although it is an option to buy oil from ISIS.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm especially impressed with the superpowers in the White House who have decided that men who want to be women have more rights than women, and that the term gender will be replaced with identity. Especially amusing is the consequence that education funding will be withheld from school children who do not comply.

Power is super!
Um, okay.

Some of us, I'm afraid, don't have any problem with transgender individuals. I can't help but think that, because you're Canadian, you get a pass for that remark in the Canadian threads. An American saying something similar absolutely would not. Anyway...

You're directing this post to me, why? As far as the US's position as a military superpower is concerned, I have said this before, but I'll say it again: I would LOVE for the United States to return to its isolationist stance it held dearly prior to WWII. And I know there are tens of millions of Americans who feel the same way I do. We believe that if it's not happening in the US, it's not our business. Period. The bad news, though, is that, other than voting for someone who I believe shuns war and feeding the military monster, I have no more control over that than you do.

The GOOD news, however, is that, where the US's position as an economic and cultural superpower is concerned, YOU have every bit as much control over that, Lieneke, as I do. Isn't that great? It's up to you, though. Fortunately, it isn't a complicated process. All you have to do is...STOP consuming American stuff. Stop supporting American corporate interests. You've been doing plenty of complaining about US power and influence today. But, can you honestly sit there and say that you and other Canadians don't willingly and eagerly buy products sold by American companies, watch American TV and movies, and consume most other forms of American goods? I know fine well you can't.

The buck stops with you. Literally. If you think the United States is so awful, then STOP supporting that corrupt, evil republic to the south. You can't just talk the talk. If Canadians (and other people around the world) resent US economic and cultural power, you CAN mitigate that power. You have the power to do so. The question is, are you prepared to take advantage of your power? Are you prepared for doing without all that American stuff? Only you can answer that. And only you can decide to do it. So, don't be getting mad at me.

Quote:
The US relies on Canada for 33% of its oil, but perhaps buying from ISIS in the Middle East is preferable.

Imagine a life without the evil oil!
No more tires, fake leather, skis, plastics, upholstery, linoleum ... the list goes on.

Perhaps instead of trying to kill the petroleum industry, Canada should look to develop a manufacturing base to compete with US petroleum based products that rely on Canada's petroleum industry.
Absolutely! Why DOESN'T Canada do that? In the meantime, you can CHOOSE to NOT buy American-made petroleum based products. You see? Once again, it's really very easy. The FORCE is within you.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-21-2016 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'll give you one: British Columbia is beautiful. Happy now?
Has nothing to do with the discussion though yes, tourism is something we should work on expanding. Last I looked the 2015 numbers looked good for visitation to Canada's largest citie$$

Last edited by fusion2; 05-21-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
How can so many people have no idea how much they rely on petroleum products in everyday life!

If people from the US want to give up their dependence on oil, start by giving up your linoleum, plastics (electric cars are made of plastic), rubber tires (even on the tricycles), fake leather shoes, the soles of your shoes, your rain coat ... give it all up ... no more electric cars, bicycles, boats ... get a horse.

Canada's golden goose will be in extremely high demand as long as people in the US consume plastics, although it is an option to buy oil from ISIS.
The U.S. consumes 19.1 million barrels of oil per day. Canada provides 14% of what the U.S. consumes.

In other words, 86% of the U.S. oil market does not rely on Canada. By 2025, Canada will provide 10% of U.S. consumption.

The era of oil is over my friend. Canada better get to work on diversifying its economy.

The U.S. is forecast to grow 2.4% in 2015. Canada will grow at only 1.5% in 2015.

The U.S. unemployment rate is 5.0% right now. Canada's unemployment rate is nearly 50% higher at 7.1%

Maybe some Canadians should spend less time crowing and more time fixing their economy? Maybe Trudeau will stop taking selfies and actually get to work (besides elbowing people, of course)

Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Without the invention of the computer in England, Silicone Valley would still be all about fruit. Working with someone else's invention does not make someone a superpower.
Okay, I'm sorry, but this is pet peeve of mine:

It's The U.K. Great Britain.

Are you aware that there is more than England to those islands that have contributed so much to the political, legal, social, cultural, and economic heritage of the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand? If you are, stop calling it "England." Had my Scottish parents read your post, they'd be telling you that YOU need to learn a little more about the world outside of Canada.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM

Personally, I have no issue with American products and working with our American friends in strengthening the economy of both nations. I think its fundamentally in our interest to work together. By and large we do. I think more people are of that mind than the types on either side who want to stick it to the other.

Its a flame war i'd rather not get involved in other than to say that I think mutual respect needs work on both sides among some. Particularly in this thread.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM

To clarify again:

Canada exports a whole lot more than Oil... Its not as much a one trick pony as some people think.

Canada's Top 10 Exports

To put more perspective - exports, all exports only account for 25 percent of its economic output..

Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Personally, I have no issue with American products and working with our American friends in strengthening the economy of both nations. I think its fundamentally in our interest to work together. By and large we do. I think more people are of that mind that the types on either side who want to stick it to the other.

Its a flame war i'd rather not get involved in other than to say that I think mutual respect needs work on both sides among some. Particularly in this thread.
I don't disagree with you. I disagree with those Canadians who have this mentality that everything evil is American, that Canada can do no wrong, that America offers nothing of value and that Canada is defined by being the perfect version of America. Canada = rainbows, roses, chocolate fountains and peace. America = war, fatsos, lazies, racists, mass violence, Hell.

This is what Americans think of Canadians, by and large:

How Canadians view Americans:

Canadians are humble and friendly. Americans are rude and arrogant. Except the above view shows the exact opposite. The Americans are largely collegiate and positive when describing their neighbor. The Canadians are rude and narrow-minded.

I agree whole-heartedly with this American's perspective:
Quote:
But when I am venting to my husband again in the privacy of our bedroom, I find myself pointing out the contradictory fact that Canadians, by their own accounting, are humble, marvelously generous, modest, community-spirited, self-effacing and well-mannered. Indeed, they will tell you so at the drop of a hat. Canadians are peacekeepers, not warmongers, they say. But best of all? Best of all, Canadians—according to themselves—never brag.

Am I the only one who finds this humorous? I mean, in Canada, flag-waving competes with hockey as the national sport … while, ironically, the Americans I know don’t go around waving the red, white and blue. It isn’t done. Patriotism isn’t fashionable.
http://www.salon.com/2014/11/28/ever...aligned_other/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada