U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 AM

247 posts, read 170,425 times

Advertisements

Here are my favorites:

1) Toronto
2) Montreal
3) Ottawa
4) Niagara Falls
5) Halifax
6) Calgary
7) Edmonton
8) Vancouver
9) Quebec City
10) Winnipeg

YES, I placed both Vancouver & Quebec City as my lower favorites b/c of its local inhabitants to be anarchist (VC), egotistic (QC), flakey (VC), hippy (VC), insular (VC & QC), linguaphone (QC = French), & shallow (VC & QC) personalities. However, both VC's climate-geography & QC's architecture-history to be beautifully & wonderfully scenic. VC is the Emerald City of the Great White North & QC is the New Orleans of the Nordique du Francophone.

Last edited by PRINCE-DARKNESS; 06-03-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
You don't need to specifically justify putting Vancouver at 9th. It is perfectly OK. It is not my cup of tea either.

My favourite are Montreal and Toronto, because these are the city I can live in.

Quebec city has charm but the charming part is overwhelmingly touristic and isn't a part of normal people's life. The rest is typically North American suburbs. Ottawa would be ok if the pretty part were 4 times larger. It is so small that you can literally walk from Parliament Hill to the suburbs. Niagara Falls is not really a city. Just some waterfalls plus an amusement park. These are the cities worth visiting for a couple of days, but I can't imagine living there.

I have never been to other Canadians cities, and from what I read and see online, I have no intention of ever going either, especially considering Canada's high fare.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post

YES, I placed both Vancouver & Quebec City as my lower favorites b/c of its local inhabitants to be anarchist (VC), egotistic (QC), flakey (VC), hippy (VC), insular (VC & QC), linguaphone (QC = French),
What's fundamentally wrong with having local inhabitants who are French-speaking?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
QC is the New Orleans of the Nordique du Francophone.
Quebec City has basically nothing in common with New Orleans. Even Montreal - New Orleans, which might make a bit more sense, is a huge stretch.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM

213 posts, read 161,003 times
I'd give QC more credit. The walled city is, of course, tourist ground zero. But once you get outside the walls into neighborhoods like Faubourg St-Jean, it's still beautiful and much more livable. Plus there are some great bars and restaurants, where you will almost never see a tourist. And I find the people to just be great.

I love Ottawa, although I agree that it does get suburban rather quickly. Unfortunately, that's just the historic development pattern almost everywhere in North America. It's still a walkable city with good public transport, and the downtown and inner neighborhoods are developing nicely, I think.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Here are my favorites:

1) Toronto
2) Montreal
3) Ottawa
4) Niagara Falls
5) Halifax
6) Calgary
7) Edmonton
8) Vancouver
9) Quebec City
10) Winnipeg

YES, I placed both Vancouver & Quebec City as my lower favorites b/c of its local inhabitants to be anarchist (VC), egotistic (QC), flakey (VC), hippy (VC), insular (VC & QC), linguaphone (QC = French), & shallow (VC & QC) personalities. However, both VC's climate-geography & QC's architecture-history to be beautifully & wonderfully scenic. VC is the Emerald City of the Great White North & QC is the New Orleans of the Nordique du Francophone.
Vancouver hippy and insular? I doubt hippies are living in 2 million dollar homes. Perhaps you mean laid back type of people?

I'm also not sure how a city that has 45 percent of it's citizens be of foreign birth, can be insular. People here despite what the naysayers say do mingle and cross cultures. To say that Vancouverites aren't interested in other cultures and peoples when that is what makes up Vancouver is rather odd.

Egotistic. Hmmm.How can we be " hippies " and egotistical at the same time. The whole hippy movement was about community and not about ones self.

My mother is from Quebec City. Trust me, she's not any of the things you charge her with...or neither am I.

The fact that you equate QC with New Orleans shows me you don't really have a good sense on judging a place and it's culture.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What's fundamentally wrong with having local inhabitants who are French-speaking?
Don't you know Acajack? People who speak only French, are anarchists who are plotting against those who don't speak French.

Come on, EVERYONE knows that.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-03-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Don't you know Acajack? People who speak only French, are anarchists who are plotting agains those who don't speak French.

Come on, EVERYONE knows that.
Shhhh... you're gonna blow our cover!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:01 PM

247 posts, read 170,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nothing at all monsieur, madame, ou mademoiselle,

This was from my travel experience to observe QC as the most militant-heritage & separatist supporters en l'Province du Quebec. Although I respect the Quebecois to maintain their language & culture, but if they so desire to succeed l'Union du Canada then go plan ahead on this matter b/c the Anglophones can careless sur l'Souverainete du Quebec. Sadly, I saw the QC separatists to have their protest signs up so that they can ***** & complain about their identity topic particularly around l'Parlement et l'Administration du Municipale. Oui I do not bother to ask the local QC inhabitants for directions reason that they despise tourists as trespassers to visit & spend money in the city. Therefore, I just use my android phone for directions to make things easier since we are living in the 21st Century of Digital Mobile Technology. LOL! Overall I enjoyed my travel in QC due to its magnifique l'architecture, boutique, cuisine, geographie, histoire, dessein du urbaine, etc. Merci beaucoup et au revoir!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Nothing at all monsieur, madame, ou mademoiselle,

This was from my travel experience to observe QC as the most militant-heritage & separatist supporters en l'Province du Quebec. Although I respect the Quebecois to maintain their language & culture, but if they so desire to succeed l'Union du Canada then go plan ahead on this matter b/c the Anglophones can careless sur l'Souverainete du Quebec. Sadly, I saw the QC separatists to have their protest signs up so that they can ***** & complain about their identity topic particularly around l'Parlement et l'Administration du Municipale. Oui I do not bother to ask the local QC inhabitants for directions reason that they despise tourists as trespassers to visit & spend money in the city. Therefore, I just use my android phone for directions to make things easier since we are living in the 21st Century of Digital Mobile Technology. LOL! Overall I enjoyed my travel in QC due to its magnifique l'architecture, boutique, cuisine, geographie, histoire, dessein du urbaine, etc. Merci beaucoup et au revoir!
Odd. Millions of tourists to QC and Quebec don't have that experience. I'm sure some do, but in my experience in witnessing locals anywhere reacting negatively towards a tourist, it's usually the tourists approach. From your ramblings, I'm getting the impression you arrived with more baggage in QC than just your luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or