U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Zoisite - You raise some very good points! If necessary, I will check with border authority on this. I'm still hoping we get passports in time though. We sent in expedited forms today with rush mail/return and then found out we can further expedite process by calling passport office within seven days of travel. So hoping it all works out. We miss Canada!
I really hope things work out well for you GoCUBS1.. I know its in the name of security but i can't help but miss the old days when a good old DL would suffice crossing our borders and that the requirements now are just overkill. Its not like Canada and the U.S aren't integrated in intelligence sharing etc.

In any event, enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:12 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
I have read on other sites that focus on travel, that it really depends on the border guard. What some people have said, is that even though a US citizens does not need a passport to enter Canada, they do need one to enter the US. ( or other approved documentation like an enhanced drivers license.) In some instances Canadian border patrol will ask for such documentation, to see if they have the appropriate documents to re-enter the US.
In other words, they might refuse you entry into Canada, because you don't have the proper papers to re-enter the US.

It's a gamble IMO

Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I really hope things work out well for you GoCUBS1.. I know its in the name of security but i can't help but miss the old days when a good old DL would suffice crossing our borders and that the requirements now are just overkill. Its not like Canada and the U.S aren't integrated in intelligence sharing etc.

In any event, enjoy your trip!
DL? Heck I remember when they didn't even ask for ID at all sometimes.

"All Canadians?" Yes. "where are you headed?" Seattle. " OK, have fun".

Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
DL? Heck I remember when they didn't even ask for ID at all sometimes.

"All Canadians?" Yes. "where are you headed?" Seattle. " OK, have fun".
When I was 15 my 16-year-old friend and I impulsively decided to head over the border which was just over an hour away. Where we were there was nothing on the U.S. side of the border, but it was more about blasting the - um - 8 track, I guess - and going for a drive. We weren't asked for any ID at all and didn't have any real answer when asked where we were going and we were still allowed through. Not likely to happen today. I think we basically drove for half an hour and then turned around and came back.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
When I was 15 my 16-year-old friend and I impulsively decided to head over the border which was just over an hour away. Where we were there was nothing on the U.S. side of the border, but it was more about blasting the - um - 8 track, I guess - and going for a drive. We weren't asked for any ID at all and didn't have any real answer when asked where we were going and we were still allowed through. Not likely to happen today. I think we basically drove for half an hour and then turned around and came back.
You rebel!

Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM

213 posts, read 161,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I can't get appt there until June 10 and it says it will take another 8 days to process - so this is 2-3 weeks, same as the expedited mail service. Also, Chicago regional office require proof of immediate travel, and states that is an airline ticket (I'm driving) or letter from employer stating it is for business purposes. I could get a letter from employer (am self-employed), but can I do that for kids' passports also? It doesn't seem like you can get the passport in one day anymore (I remember doing this as a kid), unless there is a true emergency, which would not include my family summer holiday.
It could be worth a try. I know people in DC who have gotten same-day passport issuance because they discovered their passport was expiring before/during a business trip. This was only a few years ago.

Can you get to the Loop sometime early next week and just pop up to the office and ask someone?

Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM

684 posts, read 376,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I know its in the name of security but i can't help but miss the old days when a good old DL would suffice crossing our borders and that the requirements now are just overkill.
In the name of security... not really, thats just what they use to sell the entire "control" and "Submit" strategy. Its so sad so many good honest people are caught up in so many laws, regulations, and bureaucracy like this and every day thousands of Illegal Hispanics cross the southern US border with children, drugs, and all sorts of other stuff. No security there whatsoever yet long lines at the border to see if an American with a DL or a birth certificate can get back into their own country.. what a crying shame

/rant

Old 06-05-2016, 05:34 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
OP - I would consider postponing your vacation until you have the proper passports. Inconvenient but a lot fewer potential problems. Pick fights you can win. Fighting with the Border Police is not one of them. Expecting them to be reasonable is even more foolish.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:32 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,141,319 times
To address one comment made above. If the OP is driving into Canada, passports of US citizens are not stamped, so here would be no stamp missing when they entered the U.S. on their newly issued passports.

If Customs and Border Patrol in Canada have any hesitations about letting you in, they can give each of you a travel authorisation document. It will authorise you to visit Canada for up to X days and must be surrendered when you leave the country. It is the way they prove you left.

Those documents are not normally provided to U.S. citizens, but can be depending on the individual circumstances.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,981,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - I would consider postponing your vacation until you have the proper passports. Inconvenient but a lot fewer potential problems. Pick fights you can win. Fighting with the Border Police is not one of them. Expecting them to be reasonable is even more foolish.
That is wisdom.
There are a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong, here. How much of an adventure are you really prepared for?
It could all work out with no problem, but then again, you never know. Me, I'd get my passport taken care of and THEN cross the border. I learned a long time ago that bureaucratic SNAFUs are not usually happy affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or