U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,267,628 times

Advertisements

For the OP.............A birth certificate is a poor form of identification, as it does not have a photo, a signature or a home address. All it does is state that a person was born in a specific place on a specific date and year. How does any person in authority ensure that you are THAT person ?

On the other hand a passport is a definitive identity document, issued by the Government of your country.

I don't know why so many Americans have such a great reluctance to get a passport ?

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,658,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
For the OP.............A birth certificate is a poor form of identification, as it does not have a photo, a signature or a home address. All it does is state that a person was born in a specific place on a specific date and year. How does any person in authority ensure that you are THAT person ?

On the other hand a passport is a definitive identity document, issued by the Government of your country.

I don't know why so many Americans have such a great reluctance to get a passport ?

Jim B.
I have had a passport my entire life (and so have my kids), and use it often for travel. As I clearly stated in my post, my passport just expired (yes, my mistake) and will take 2-3 weeks for renewal to be processed. I wanted to know if I could cross the Canada border with the birth certificate and photo ID and then have my new passport airmailed to Canada since that is where I spend my summers (and have gotten across the border with passport the last 20+ years). I mentioned a birth certificate AND photo ID because that is specifically what is listed as acceptable form of border ID on the Canadian government web site.

Should also be fairly obvious this American has no reluctance to get a renewed passport since I'm paying all sorts of expedite fees to get one within two weeks.

But thank you for the clear and condescending lesson on forms of govt. ID and Americans.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-06-2016 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 AM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
Quote:

Jim B.
Apparently you didn't read the OP's first post and would rather just be condescending to an American.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times
As you are US citizens you will ultimately be admitted back into your own country but expect it to take a lot longer if you dont have a valid passport.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
The kids only need their birth certificates when crossing into Canada by land.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,267,628 times
michgh.

That only applies to those under the age of 16. Older young adults do require their own personal passport, to travel outside of the US's territories.

Jim B.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,658,273 times
Quote:
michgh.

That only applies to those under the age of 16. Older young adults do require their own personal passport, to travel outside of the US's territories.

Jim B.
From Canada govt. border services...

Travellers - Visitors to Canada

"Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card."

Where does it state U.S. citizens over 16 are required to have passport to enter Canada by land?

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-11-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
From Canada govt. border services...

Travellers - Visitors to Canada

"Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card."

Where does it state U.S. citizens over 16 are required to have passport to enter Canada by land?
My understanding has been that Canadians have a passport requirement to enter to the U.S. but Americans don't need a passport to enter Canada. The problem arises in Americans returning home without a passport to prove they are in fact US citizens.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Anyone under 18 years of age is considered a minor. A birth certificate on it's own technically should be enough, but ONLY if the child is travelling with both parents.

"Children under the age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. They must follow the same rules to enter Canada as any other visitor.

Minors who try to enter Canada without the proper documents, or who are with adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s), will be checked more closely."

If travelling with one parent for instance this applies. Notice the additional documentation needed beyond just the birth certificate.

"The parent should present:

the child’s passport
a copy of the child’s birth certificate, and
a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, which is signed by the parent who is not travelling with them and lists:
the address and telephone number of the parent who is not travelling, and
a photocopy of that parent’s signed passport or national identity card
."

The link has other scenarios as well.

Minor children travelling to Canada

Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,165,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have crossed the border into the US with an expired passport twice. I dont think it should be a big issue coming here. Just bring both your birth certificate and passport to be safe.
US doesn't care,anyone can get in...prime example would be the Mexican border. Canada is stricter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or