U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,664,295 times

Advertisements

Our family (U.S. Citizens) are driving to our Canadian summer home in 2 weeks but just realized our passports have expired.

I checked the Canada border patrol site and it says they'll accept birth certificate as form of identification. I did not know that. I've always traveled with passport. So we should have no problems crossing the border without the passports and getting back into the states - right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
I have crossed the border into the US with an expired passport twice. I dont think it should be a big issue coming here. Just bring both your birth certificate and passport to be safe.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 PM

After reviewing the government sites, it seems like we could drive into Canada with photo ID/ birth certificate but need passports to get back into U.S.? Our new passports should arrive at our U.S. address while we are in Canada, so I could have my sister airmail them to our Canadian house so we'll have them to get back into the country?

I'm going to expedite the passport order tomorrow, but just don't know if they'll get here in time for our trip in two weeks.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have crossed the border into the US with an expired passport twice. I dont think it should be a big issue coming here. Just bring both your birth certificate and passport to be safe.
Unfortunately, we won't have passports because I have to mail them in for the renewal. All the other expired passports I have are hole punched. I hope I can expedite and get them in 2 weeks.

I also made an appt. with Chicago regional passport office but I couldn't get an appointment until June 10 and it could take another 8 days for processing.

Very dumb that I forgot to check passport expiration dates.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-03-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
So we should have no problems crossing the border without the passports and getting back into the states - right?
Not necessarily no problems going back to America. Getting into Canada may be easy but it's the American border officials you have to satisfy the most when you return to America. It's the American border officials who are the ones who kick up more of a big fuss about not having a passport to get back into America, the Canadians are much more foregiving.

You should check the American border patrol site and see what they say about how to get back into America without passports. Find out what other kind of documentations and proof of American citizenship and residency for all members of the family might be acceptable to the American border officials if you don't have passports.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 PM

Thanks... If my passports don't arrive in time, I think I'll have my sister get them from my mail and send them to me in Canada.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 AM

213 posts, read 160,967 times
If you're in Chicago, why don't you just go downtown to the passport office and do the expedited, same-day issuance? It'll cost more, but it saves you a lot of headaches.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
If you're in Chicago, why don't you just go downtown to the passport office and do the expedited, same-day issuance? It'll cost more, but it saves you a lot of headaches.
I can't get appt there until June 10 and it says it will take another 8 days to process - so this is 2-3 weeks, same as the expedited mail service. Also, Chicago regional office require proof of immediate travel, and states that is an airline ticket (I'm driving) or letter from employer stating it is for business purposes. I could get a letter from employer (am self-employed), but can I do that for kids' passports also? It doesn't seem like you can get the passport in one day anymore (I remember doing this as a kid), unless there is a true emergency, which would not include my family summer holiday.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 AM

7,242 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks... If my passports don't arrive in time, I think I'll have my sister get them from my mail and send them to me in Canada.
Maybe I'm being paranoid but if you're going to do that I still think you should contact American border authorities in advance and ask them if there are going to be problems with you having them mailed to Canada and then later presenting new, unstamped, unexamined American passports upon your return to America.

Won't the American border guards be suspicious about why the passports haven't been stamped or punched or entered into the shared data base by Canadian authorities when you first entered Canada? Is it legal for you to have them mailed out of country to a foreign address? Is there any chance American border authorities might think that since the new passports haven't been stamped that they might be counterfeits that you had acquired in Canada? If you don't have stamped passports from when you entered Canada, what other documentations will be required to prove to American authorities upon your return that your children really are your children and that you aren't trying to traffic them across the border?

I don't know if those will be problems or not but I think you should cover all your bases and think ahead. The authorities can't stop you from returning to America if you are American citizens but don't take it for granted that you and your whole family aren't going to get hassled, delayed for hours and interrogated upon your return to America if you haven't made all enquiries and don't have all your ducks in a row. Better to be safe than be sorry and subjected to a lot of grief.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Zoisite - You raise some very good points! If necessary, I will check with border authority on this. I'm still hoping we get passports in time though. We sent in expedited forms today with rush mail/return and then found out we can further expedite process by calling passport office within seven days of travel. So hoping it all works out. We miss Canada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or