Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times

Advertisements

would a person who has a couple of midemeanors on their record within the past 10 years (minor offences), who would otherwise exceed the points required, have problems with immigration?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
It depends on the offense and how the crime is classified in Canada. If the incidents in question are felonies in Canada, you won't be admitted. A good example is a minor (no injuries) DUI offense. In many US states, this could be classified as a misdemeaner but since any and all occurances are felonies in Canada, it would prevent immigration.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
In many US states, this could be classified as a misdemeaner but since any and all occurances are felonies in Canada, it would prevent immigration.
First of all, there are no felonies in Canada; crimes are classified as either summary convictions or indictable offences.

If you are seriously considering applying to immigrate to Canada, then don't take advice on important matters from any internet forum, including this one. Ther's simply too much at stake.

Go to the Citzenship and Immigration Canada web site, find the applicable Immigration office for you, and contact them with details of your particular circumstances.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
First of all, there are no felonies in Canada; crimes are classified as either summary convictions or indictable offences.
My immigration attorney used "felony" to describe what must be a "summary conviction". I guess we didn't discuss it in-depth since I didn't have any convictions

Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 AM

170 posts, read 893,155 times
You may be interested in this story famlife which concerns the recent number of "turnbacks" at the border for offenses like marijuana possession, assault and impaired driving. If the government doesn't want these people even visiting I suspect that they would take a dim view of "misdemeanors" for someone wanting to immigrate.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,759 times
I want dual citizenship. Both my parents were Canadian and my mother was born in England and moved to Canada at age three. She went back to Canada after retiring and passed away in 2000.
I was told that, since my parents were both originally Canadian and later American. I should not have a problem, but they are both dead and the only thing I have going for me is 100 acres in Quebec. Do I have to jump through hoops to get dual citizenship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada