U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,786,103 times

Advertisements

What is your lifestyle like? Ex Do you want to stare a trees and drink cider or you do be out and about is a busy city with lots of options? If you leave towards the edges of the city you can get a better value for housing and still enjoy all the perks of living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
What is your lifestyle like? Ex Do you want to stare a trees and drink cider or you do be out and about is a busy city with lots of options? If you leave towards the edges of the city you can get a better value for housing and still enjoy all the perks of living in the city.
There are plenty of places in Toronto or Montreal to stare at trees or a large patch of nothing but grass. All this big cities don't have nature argument is ridiculous to me.

If one loves so much nature, don't live in an urban area. Problem solved.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:23 PM

873 posts, read 815,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
great climate? you are stretching it.

Nowhere in Canada has "great climate". Ask anyone in America if Detroit has "great climate" and you will meet with laughs. Even Seattle is consider to have depressing weather.
Not this again. I think you're the only one who thinks that. Windsor has a great climate, one of the best in Canada.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Not this again. I think you're the only one who thinks that. Windsor has a great climate, one of the best in Canada.
OK, I am the only one who thinks Windsor has bad weather.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:
great climate? you are stretching it.

Nowhere in Canada has "great climate". Ask anyone in America if Detroit has "great climate" and you will meet with laughs. Even Seattle is consider to have depressing weather.
Ofcoarse you don't like it, you don't like anything Canadian, you're always complaining. If you don't like it, pretend you're in subtropical China, with it's billions of people, huge cities, no trees and lots of warm air and extreme pollution

Last edited by North 42; 06-06-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Ofcoarse you don't like it, you don't like anything Canadian, you're always complaining. If you don't like it, pretend you're in subtropical China, with it's billions of people, huge cities, no trees and lots of warm air and extreme pollution
OMG -- you just flipped out and ranted all this gibberish because I don't think Windsor has great weather.

I don't like anything Canadian? Haha, not based on my hundreds of posts in the past couple of years...

China is not sub-tropical by the way. It is several climate zones ranging from pure tropical to humid continental. In January, it can be 35C with hot sunshine or -35C with 2 feet of snow depending on where you are.

I am not pretending anything. It is you who are pretending Windsor has "great climate" -- only Canadians will agree, and polar bears I don't really blame you because you probably grew up believing -10C in Jan or snow in mid March is not bad...

Old 06-06-2016, 03:10 PM

10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Quote:
We have nature in Toronto too ! Also you are less likely to get eaten by a bear (re Thunder Bay). I personally dont like Ottawa as I found it fairly boring. It is pretty, but pretty can get old really fast. Also people don't dress up as much when going to night clubs. I remember being crazy underwhelmed by the lack of effort.
Well I'm just giving my own opinion on what I like. I personally like smaller cities that some might perceive as boring. I don't get people who always complain about being bored. There is always something to do if you look for it. I also have no interest in night clubs and the OP hasn't indicated as much either.
I also never said that Toronto has no nature just that Ottawa and Thunder Bay have more nature nearby than Toronto. Again, it all depends on what you like. I personally love to have easy access to lots of wilderness close to the city but for some that may not be a priority.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
Quote:
There are plenty of places in Toronto or Montreal to stare at trees or a large patch of nothing but grass. All this big cities don't have nature argument is ridiculous to me.
Anywhere in Canada, we have pretty easy access to *parkland*. That's true. We're spoiled for it in this country. Greenbelts, ravines, landscaped parks, our cities have plenty of grass and trees.

OTOH, urban parks in the largest cities can be a bit dodgy. Some "interesting" people hang out in the woods... Plus the popular spots are actually swamped with people during the Summer and on holiday weekends.

In Montreal and Toronto, someone living centrally probably isn't going to spend much time at the park anyway. They'd be busy doing other things. They'll see some trees here and there during their daily routine, but a lot of concrete, brick, steel, and glass in between.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
Some people don't like big busy places though. I think the argument that there isn't anywhere to escape in Toronto is weak. A stronger argument would be that for many Canadians, it is too big and congested in a general sense. Really this isn't going to change - Toronto will get bigger and bigger, more congested and more dense. So if you're a Canadian and don't like big cities stay away from Toronto. I would respect that view more than Toronto doesn't have nature or you can't escape into nature within a reasonable distance. You can even do that in Hong Kong and Toronto isn't even close to being as dense.

If not in the GTA I think my choice in Ontario would be Ottawa. Its a decent sized city and because its the political capital you always feel like there is something going on that is relavent. Winters suck but i'd have to agree with Botti, winters pretty much suck anywhere in Canada. Some people take the complaints about it to a level that is ridiculous though.. Suck it up buttercup - its Canada if you don't like it go away.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-06-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 PM

172 posts, read 152,830 times
If Stratford or London were a little more populous (with the amenities that tend to accompany growth) I'd probably choose one of those places.

I'm a city boy at heart but I've noticed that the older I get, the less being "downtown" appeals to me. Just in Toronto, I've lived on Queen West near University (a block from CityTV, if it's still there), right behind city hall, on Bloor West in a lovely old neighborhood, and on Parkside Drive with a great view of High Park. Yes, you can definitely find nice pockets of nature in Toronto, plus it was always fun to go the islands, the Beaches, Harbourfront, etc. I'm a big fan of Toronto!

I identify with deneb78 above in that I now prefer medium-sized cities to larger metropolises. No, not into the club scene anymore (too old for that), but I am single and it'd be nice to be in a large enough city to find other singles too. Any place with a thriving meetup.com scene, plenty of local festivals/live music/visual arts, and good parks are bonuses to me.

I think life is too short to stay in the same place for long, especially if you've lived there before and have "moved on" with your life. So somewhere like Ottawa is pretty appealing to me right now. It looked clean and well-kept there, and I saw a lot of US-based restaurant chains and retailers that would be available if I was ever feeling nostalgic for my adopted homeland.

I AM a Canadian citizen, yes, but not bilingual which I think would exclude me from government jobs. I know that winters suck in Canada; that's probably the ONLY thing I'm not real keen about. I actually love wintertime and the snow for about 6 weeks or so, but then -- that's enough!! I will miss Texas in that regard, I'm sure. I actually met a girl in Georgia not long ago who said she LOVES being cold and was practically begging me to take her to Canada to live! I told her she had never truly experienced COLD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or