U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:06 AM

625 posts, read 1,188,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I AM a Canadian citizen, yes, but not bilingual which I think would exclude me from government jobs. I know that winters suck in Canada; that's probably the ONLY thing I'm not real keen about. I actually love wintertime and the snow for about 6 weeks or so, but then -- that's enough!! I will miss Texas in that regard, I'm sure. I actually met a girl in Georgia not long ago who said she LOVES being cold and was practically begging me to take her to Canada to live! I told her she had never truly experienced COLD!!
I read somewhere that about 40-something % of federal jobs give preference for or require English/French bilingualism. So it may not be an obstacle necessarily. It would seem an area like Ottawa could even be a good place to become bilingual. I myself have a hard time learning a language without having good reason to use it.

As for Ontario, I've only been a couple times. Enjoyed the Niagara area, and the thousand islands, but never actually went to Windsor. But I agree, a medium sized city close to nature is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM

873 posts, read 816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

If not in the GTA I think my choice in Ontario would be Ottawa. Its a decent sized city and because its the political capital you always feel like there is something going on that is relavent. Winters suck but i'd have to agree with Botti, winters pretty much suck anywhere in Canada. Some people take the complaints about it to a level that is ridiculous though.. Suck it up buttercup - its Canada if you don't like it go away.
I think Ottawa is a much better city than Toronto.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I read somewhere that about 40-something % of federal jobs give preference for or require English/French bilingualism. So it may not be an obstacle necessarily. It would seem an area like Ottawa could even be a good place to become bilingual. I myself have a hard time learning a language without having good reason to use it.

Yes, it is possible to get a federal government job in Ottawa without knowing French. If they like you and think you have potential they may even send you on paid language training leave.

You can even get a federal government job in Gatineau without knowing French.

Federal departments aren't necessarily based in Ottawa or Gatineau with the consideration of language. Government office space management is what enters into it.

Some departments that are more bilingual or French-oriented can be based in Ottawa, whereas there are some that are more anglo that are in Gatineau.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:19 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I think Ottawa is a much better city than Toronto.
Ok. What do you want me to say about that? Everyone has their preferences. I don't like smaller cities or cities lacking in in your face diversity, or cities without a huge gay population, or one's that would probably make me feel dead inside because things are too slow and laid back, or one's that don't have the urban scale to offer what a large city like Toronto can, or cities that don't have large economic clout and opportunities, so Toronto is better for me. This is a free country, we can all gravitate to whatever floats our boat.

Truth is there isn't a much better city for everyone there are much better cities depending on what people prefer but not everyone has the same preference in a place. Toronto isn't everything to everyone and it doesn't have to be, however nobody with a straight face can deny its obviously checking off more boxes for more people than anywhere else in the country since its the largest city.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2016 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Ok. What do you want me to say about that? Everyone has their preferences. I don't like smaller cities or cities lacking in in your face diversity, or cities without a huge gay population, or one's that would probably make me feel dead inside because things are too slow and laid back, or one's that don't have the urban scale to offer what a large city like Toronto can, or cities that don't have large economic clout and opportunities, so Toronto is better for me. This is a free country, we can all gravitate to whatever floats our boat.

Truth is there isn't a much better city for everyone there are much better cities depending on what people prefer but not everyone has the same preference in a place. Toronto isn't everything to everyone and it doesn't have to be, however nobody with a straight face can deny its obviously checking off more boxes for more people than anywhere else in the country since its the largest city.
Well Ottawa isn't exactly small or boring. It has over 1 million people which is really big, especially for Canadian standards. It also has so many festivals and museums, people from Toronto drive up there for Canada Day, which is huge in Ottawa. Also, the economy is great in Ottawa. You are generally secured due to all the government jobs there. It's even easier to find a job if you're qualfied in Ottawa than Toronto. Much less competition. Plus it's close to nature, billingual, and clean. What more can you ask for? Toronto isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me and it is a little too polluted and crowded. Ottawa also has more charm and character than Toronto in my opinion as well.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:15 PM

172 posts, read 153,008 times
I'm actually one of those people who drove from Toronto to Ottawa for the Canada Day fireworks one year!

If my only criteria was size, I'd go with Toronto (or Montreal or Vancouver) for sure. I happen to love the Toronto skyline and believe there's PLENTY of "character" there as well. But... been there, done that, and I'm afraid that if I return I may somehow overwrite the fantastic memories I have of living there -- when I was younger, footloose & fancy free, and still very-happily married -- with new, less-happy moments. So I'd like to try somewhere else.

1 million seems just about right for me now. Even 5 years ago I would've said that was too small to keep my interest, but as I mentioned I think as I get older and mellow-out more I find huge cities less appealing in general. I like to go out and explore and do things a lot, and those opportunities are often more limited in small cities. Ottawa seems like it would have just about the right balance PLUS it would be a convenient drive to Montreal (where my brother lives).

One other question: how is Ottawa's transit system? I'm guessing it's MUCH better than Houston's (which sucks unless you live in midtown/downtown/the museum district) but probably not as good at Toronto's TTC (always kinda loved reading or sleeping on the subway on the way to and from work). Is it advisable to live in Ottawa without a car? Although I like cycling I'm also not a big fan of doing it in the rain or snow. Is Uber alive and well there? (I think I remember reading that the city's taxi unions had forced them out; if true, that's unfortunate, because it's such a convenient system).

Appreciate all your advice and just so you know, it's not just for the purposes of discussion: I'm seriously considering a move in the next 2-3 months and even applied to two Ottawa employers today. So your input is really helping me with some practical decisions.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Well Ottawa isn't exactly small or boring. It has over 1 million people which is really big, especially for Canadian standards. It also has so many festivals and museums, people from Toronto drive up there for Canada Day, which is huge in Ottawa. Also, the economy is great in Ottawa. You are generally secured due to all the government jobs there. It's even easier to find a job if you're qualfied in Ottawa than Toronto. Much less competition. Plus it's close to nature, billingual, and clean. What more can you ask for? Toronto isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me and it is a little too polluted and crowded. Ottawa also has more charm and character than Toronto in my opinion as well.
Ottawa is too small and not urban enough for my liking. its a nice and appealing smaller city for those that like smaller cities. But, it has nothing on Toronto for overall things to do. Its not even remotely close be it festivals, sporting events, arts and culture (including museums btw), bars, clubs, theatre, Amusement Parks, Zoo's, Aquarium, diverse population, gay population, gay things to do, straight things to do etc etc etc. There is just something about the energy and vibrancy that a big city brings to the table that smaller cities can't. I thrive on that type of energy - busy energy.

Toronto has a much larger overall economy. That is why it is growing more than other cities - because it has the scale to do so. As for competition for jobs - it depends on the industry. Toronto has far more industries so it really depends on what you are doing. Ultimately, Toronto adds more jobs and supports more Canadians by a looooong shot vs Ottawa. Hey if you can find a great job in Ottawa and can't in Toronto - go for it but the opposite is true as well and probably true much more often. No human being should move anywhere before securing employment. That said, Toronto simply attracts and supports more jobs for more people than Ottawa. Especially in the private sector which is a much larger generator of jobs (thank god) to the Canadian economy than the public sector. Its not even close.

As for being closer to nature - not going to win me over with that one. Only someone unfamiliar with Toronto's geography would make such a statement. Bilingual - really lol.. Toronto has people from around the globe speaking over 140 languages. Clean? A 1.3 million region vs a 6.7 million urban agglomeration - really? Of course there is going to be more pollution in Toronto - its a big city but who cares? Do people in NYC hate it as a global urban mecca just because its got pollution. Try convincing a New Yorker that Nashville is a much better city. Its about the size of what you are doing here comparing Toronto to Ottawa.

Honestly - do you know how ridiculous you sound? You don't think I could throw a laundry list of things Toronto has that would literally flatten Ottawa in terms of urban amenities. Its not even close.

Canada Day really? So what? Don't make me carpet bomb you with Toronto festivals, events, attractions etc.

There is a reason for the following:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

I tried to be nice and complementary about Ottawa which is a nice city that for many would be more manageable than Toronto. That said, Toronto simply attracts WAY more people to it YOY its not even a just comparison. The GTA adds a city the size of Ottawa to it every 12 years.

If you prefer Ottawa great - I don't and so do many more by a ratio of almost 7:1

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2016 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM

172 posts, read 153,008 times
fusion2, while those may all be correct, you're assuming that everyone values the same things you do in a city (e.g. size, growth, gay culture, ethnic diversity, numerous events, etc.). Many people do NOT and prefer small, quiet, calm places. It doesn't mean one city is better than the other; there's a place for everyone! And I believe everyone should live in a place that they personally enjoy and appreciate. There's no Ottawa vs. Toronto war going on.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
fusion2, while those may all be correct, you're assuming that everyone values the same things you do in a city (e.g. size, growth, gay culture, ethnic diversity, numerous events, etc.). Many people do NOT and prefer small, quiet, calm places. It doesn't mean one city is better than the other; there's a place for everyone! And I believe everyone should live in a place that they personally enjoy and appreciate. There's no Ottawa vs. Toronto war going on.
Ummm look back at the last few posts. Have you even read them? I clearly stated that smaller cities are going to be more appealing to some people. I also extended an olive branch to GM10 about preferences etc and that Toronto isn't going to be everything to everyone and I get that.. I also clearly stated if not in Toronto, i'd live in Ottawa as a second choice in Ontario because its a good urban package. He was the one baiting this on..

Exhibits:

Post by Fusion2 (no smack talking and actually complementary of Ottawa)
Best place to live in Ontario right now?

Post by GM10 (Smack talking Toronto and baiting)

Post by Fusion2 (note I listed why I prefer Toronto - I wasn't talking smack about Ottawa)

Post by GM10 (further smack talking and baiting as if I didn't make it clear before I get that Toronto isn't everything to everyone)

GM10 got the post he deserved after that.

So I get this is not Ottawa vs Toronto war going on - perhaps if you look at the context (context matters) of the posts you might want to exercise some objectivity here and provide a lecture to GM10.. I don't need one.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Ummm look back at the last few posts. Have you even read them? I clearly stated that smaller cities are going to be more appealing to some people. I also extended an olive branch to GM10 about preferences etc and that Toronto isn't going to be everything to everyone and I get that.. I also clearly stated if not in Toronto, i'd live in Ottawa as a second choice in Ontario because its a good urban package. He was the one baiting this on..

Exhibits:

Post by Fusion2 (no smack talking and actually complementary of Ottawa)

Post by GM10 (Smack talking Toronto and baiting)

Post by Fusion2 (note I listed why I prefer Toronto - I wasn't talking smack about Ottawa)

Post by GM10 (further smack talking and baiting as if I didn't make it clear before I get that Toronto isn't everything to everyone)

GM10 got the post he deserved after that.

So I get this is not Ottawa vs Toronto war going on - perhaps if you look at the context (context matters) of the posts you might want to exercise some objectivity here and provide a lecture to GM10.. I don't need one.

I never attacked you. I simply said Ottawa is a nicer city and explained my reasons. You're calling me out personally now when I thought we were having a civil discussion.

Size isn't everything when it comes to cities. In fact there are a lot of cases where smaller cities have been rated as more livable. Ottawa was actually rated the best city to live in Canada on multiple surveys for a while. I love Ottawa and all it has to offer. I respect that you like Toronto, I never said your opinion was wrong. I just defended Ottawa and listed the great qualities the city has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or