U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:53 AM

489 posts, read 1,051,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I'm actually one of those people who drove from Toronto to Ottawa for the Canada Day fireworks one year!

If my only criteria was size, I'd go with Toronto (or Montreal or Vancouver) for sure. I happen to love the Toronto skyline and believe there's PLENTY of "character" there as well. But... been there, done that, and I'm afraid that if I return I may somehow overwrite the fantastic memories I have of living there -- when I was younger, footloose & fancy free, and still very-happily married -- with new, less-happy moments. So I'd like to try somewhere else.

1 million seems just about right for me now. Even 5 years ago I would've said that was too small to keep my interest, but as I mentioned I think as I get older and mellow-out more I find huge cities less appealing in general. I like to go out and explore and do things a lot, and those opportunities are often more limited in small cities. Ottawa seems like it would have just about the right balance PLUS it would be a convenient drive to Montreal (where my brother lives).

One other question: how is Ottawa's transit system? I'm guessing it's MUCH better than Houston's (which sucks unless you live in midtown/downtown/the museum district) but probably not as good at Toronto's TTC (always kinda loved reading or sleeping on the subway on the way to and from work). Is it advisable to live in Ottawa without a car? Although I like cycling I'm also not a big fan of doing it in the rain or snow. Is Uber alive and well there? (I think I remember reading that the city's taxi unions had forced them out; if true, that's unfortunate, because it's such a convenient system).

Appreciate all your advice and just so you know, it's not just for the purposes of discussion: I'm seriously considering a move in the next 2-3 months and even applied to two Ottawa employers today. So your input is really helping me with some practical decisions.

I lived in Ottawa for 2 years and moved back to Toronto about a year ago and never looked back. As someone that didn't have a car and relied on public transit, I will suggest to get a car. The transit system is only good for shuttling people to and from work. Outside of rush hours and weekends the service is not that great but it is probably better than Houston.I also lived in a sun belt city without a car,worst mistake ever. Thanks city data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 PM

171 posts, read 152,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
He was the one baiting this on..
Yeah, and you took the bait!

Okay, relax, Toronto and Ottawa... you're BOTH pretty!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM

171 posts, read 152,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I lived in Ottawa for 2 years and moved back to Toronto about a year ago and never looked back. As someone that didn't have a car and relied on public transit, I will suggest to get a car. The transit system is only good for shuttling people to and from work. Outside of rush hours and weekends the service is not that great but it is probably better than Houston.I also lived in a sun belt city without a car,worst mistake ever. Thanks city data!
Thanks for that tip! Good to know. I wish it was better in Ottawa, though. I guess I could go back to my Toronto routine, which was to rent a car or hop on GO/VIA on weekends when I wanted to get out of town.

I have a car now, but's it a royal pain to import it across the border.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:44 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times
If you live close to the Transitway, bus service in Ottawa is actually pretty decent even at off peak times.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 PM

873 posts, read 814,965 times
The only thing I don't like about Ottawa transit-wise is they don't have Car2Go service, which is really convenient for those without a car. If you live in or near the centre, you don't need a car. Out in the suburbs a car may help.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The only thing I don't like about Ottawa transit-wise is they don't have Car2Go service, which is really convenient for those without a car. If you live in or near the centre, you don't need a car. Out in the suburbs a car may help.
I was going to say this seems to be the way to go these days. I would hope a citykke Ottawa would get a car share service soon, but you never know. I've also always wondered with carshare, if cars tend to book up on a beautiful weekend when people want to get out of town.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:46 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I was going to say this seems to be the way to go these days. I would hope a citykke Ottawa would get a car share service soon, but you never know. I've also always wondered with carshare, if cars tend to book up on a beautiful weekend when people want to get out of town.
Ottawa has car share service I am almost positive. Even Gatineau does!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:48 AM

Yes it's Vrtucar. Also Zipcar I think.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If you live close to the Transitway, bus service in Ottawa is actually pretty decent even at off peak times.
Correct

Old 06-09-2016, 05:23 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I never attacked you. I simply said Ottawa is a nicer city and explained my reasons. You're calling me out personally now when I thought we were having a civil discussion.

Size isn't everything when it comes to cities. In fact there are a lot of cases where smaller cities have been rated as more livable. Ottawa was actually rated the best city to live in Canada on multiple surveys for a while. I love Ottawa and all it has to offer. I respect that you like Toronto, I never said your opinion was wrong. I just defended Ottawa and listed the great qualities the city has.
I didn't say you attacked me. I said you baited me and you did. I was actually saying that I could see why some Canadians would prefer living in smaller cities or just other cities period. You come around out of the blue and respond to that and just say

"Ottawa is a much better city than Toronto"

That is it nothing else. Its bait! If you wanted a civil discussion you would have said I prefer Ottawa for such and such reason so don't go trying to take the moral high ground here after the fact.

Read back - especially in the context of what I was saying to KLM I thought I was being actually respectful of people's preferences across the board which I am! Now I get through reading your posts that Toronto doesn't turn you on and that is ok but that is YOU GM10. Saying this city is better than that city is silly because there are personal dynamics at play. As for the survey i'm not surprised more Canadians would prefer living in a smaller city. That said, more Canadians actually choose living in bigger one's that is why they are bigger. I bet if everyone moved to Ottawa and its population would balloon to 6.5 million it would take a hit on the very same survey given the unique challenges that a larger and growing city has. As I said, Toronto adds an Ottawa sized city into its urban area every 10 to 12 years, not everyone is going to like that and I get it.

This isn't anything new - lots of Countries citizens who live in rural areas or smaller cities prefer not to live in the 'hectic' big city. In some instances you have the red/yellow shirt dynamic. Fortunately in Canada its not that bad, its just a pretty common loathing of everything Toronto in a kind of self righteous way and I can't say its all rational or logically either.

Anyway, some of us thrive in bigger cities and prefer what that offers. Its all relative - for someone like myself, Toronto isn't big enough and I'd want a bigger city if it was in Canada. Honestly if there was an Istanbul, NYC or Mexico City sized city in Canada i'd want to be in it! I respect that you prefer other cities than Toronto and i'm glad you respect my preference. No need to bait. I think initially I was being quite respectful with my comments until your photobomb lol. Honestly, no hard feelings on my said though I think if you were a bit more respectful of my views and also looked back at what I was saying you would have taken a different approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
Yeah, and you took the bait!
Oh I sorry your honour or should I say i'm sorry mother Teresa incarnate - hmmm I can't decide.. If we never responded to bait in here the fish would get hungry...... That said, since you admit that he baited - no you didn't respond to that you simply singled me out for not taking what - the moral high ground for pouncing - Puhlease! Looks like the judge or the mother plays favouritism lol........ Seems to me something you should ask yourself about in terms of the why.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-09-2016 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or