Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM

174 posts, read 214,101 times

Advertisements

If you consider things such as cost-of-living, jobs, culture and amenities, and overall future growth prospects, which small-to-medium sized city would you choose to live in in Ontario right now? If it helps, I'm a middle-aged single male who enjoys the arts, dining out on occasion, and prefers innercity living to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Toronto. Why would you choose anywhere else unless you actually work outside the city.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I think Ottawa and Thunder Bay are the nicest cities in Ontario in my opinion. Big enough to have most urban amenities but also small enough to be close to nature.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:18 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Toronto. Why would you choose anywhere else unless you actually work outside the city.
Now now - some people just prefer living in smaller cities that are 'closer' to nature. As if Toronto/GTA are somehow independent of nature lol.. Ravines - what ravines...

Old 06-05-2016, 12:35 AM

Hamilton isn't bad. Its pretty affordable and projected to grow robustly like other mid-sized cities in Ontario. Its also pretty close to Toronto if you need to get an occasional larger city fix.

If not in the Toronto area's gravitational pull - i'd say the best option would be Ottawa. It checks off a lot of boxes and for a city of its size there are a decent amount of cultural/urban offerings. Its a manageable drive away from Montreal.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Ottawa and Thunder Bay are the nicest cities in Ontario in my opinion. Big enough to have most urban amenities but also small enough to be close to nature.
Ottawa is so small than you can walk from the busiest downtown intersection to the middle of the dead suburb in 20 minutes.

Close to nature? 99% of the entire country is nature. In Canada, urbanity is a luxury, not nature.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:39 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
If you consider things such as cost-of-living, jobs, culture and amenities, and overall future growth prospects, which small-to-medium sized city would you choose to live in in Ontario right now? If it helps, I'm a middle-aged single male who enjoys the arts, dining out on occasion, and prefers innercity living to the suburbs.
Do you want to be affiliated with the federal government in Ottawa or the gimme a handout, I'm so deep in debt provincial government of Ontario?

If you enjoy the arts, I would suggest Montreal, Quebec rather than the province of Ontario. Ontario has always been a bit board up your butt.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:10 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Hottawa. Seriously, despite being a government town, there are a lot of decent draws in the city if you live downtown. I can walk to Bluesfest at Lebreton Flats, or to the Byward Market, or to the National Gallery or National Arts Centre, or to Chinatown or Little Italy from where I am in south of Parliament Hill. Gatineau is right across the river, I can walk over there too. There are shuttle buses that go to the Sens Games. You could do way worse than Ottawa.

Toronto would obviously have the most to offer.... although real estate is sky-high downtown, but you didn't mention if you'd consider renting... if it were me, I'd look for a sweet downtown condo. Or maybe rent in the Beaches or Ossington or someplace.

Lots of people love Kingston, so they should get a mention.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ottawa is so small than you can walk from the busiest downtown intersection to the middle of the dead suburb in 20 minutes.

Close to nature? 99% of the entire country is nature. In Canada, urbanity is a luxury, not nature.
I guess it depends on your priorities. If you just want a totally urban environment then yes TO would be best. Personally I like having close access to decent natural areas. It's far easier to access that in Ottawa than Toronto because it's much closer to the city.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I guess it depends on your priorities. If you just want a totally urban environment then yes TO would be best. Personally I like having close access to decent natural areas. It's far easier to access that in Ottawa than Toronto because it's much closer to the city.
I wouldn't say Toronto is a natural oasis but you might want to read up on Toronto's ravine system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_ravine_system

There are quite a few large parks in Toronto's boundaries also. Rouge Park in particular is massive and comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwC4MjHxzGo

It just baffles me why people think Toronto is just a concrete jungle. For crying out loud a 10 minute ferry ride from DT Toronto and you can be walking around on an island with a nude gay beach lol (not in the winter though obviously)... Toronto and the GTA are more green than given credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada