U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,489,437 times

Advertisements

Is Trudeau determined to undo all 66 (was it 60?) laws that were passed under the Conservative government - laws that Canadians agreed with for 8 - 9 years and continue to agree with?

Trudeau campaigned on grounding the F-18s. During the campaign, no one asked Trudeau why this is a good idea, and now he thinks he doesn't need to explain his decision. At the same time, Canadian ground troops who provide training were dodging bullets near Mosul last week. Don't Canadians want the F-18s to have their backs?

I have read complaints about the quality of the F-18s from people in Toronto, but not from the pilots.
Canadian troops need the six f-18s in the air in Iraq and Syria when Canadian ground troops are in the area.

With the legalization of marijuana, another example of change that was campaigned without an explanation. The explanation is that Justin Trudeau had a brother who was driving down the highway when he was pulled over by the RCMP. He had an amount of marijuana in his possession that constituted possession and he was given a court date. Before Justin's brother got to trial, he died during a skiing accident (avalanche/lake). Still, Trudeau cannot forget that if marijuana laws were more relaxed in Canada, his brother wouldn't have been facing a criminal conviction.

Justin's other brother is close friends with a man who has been repeatedly identified as a terrorist sleeper. Trudeau intends to change the law so that identified terrorists are not expelled from Canada because he trusts his brother and his friend.

What is Trudeau up to and why?
Does he have a chip on his shoulder about the dress his mom wore at the White House, and the Consevative's accomplishments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:17 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is Trudeau determined to undo all 66 (was it 60?) laws that were passed under the Conservative government - laws that Canadians agreed with for 8 - 9 years and continue to agree with?

Trudeau campaigned on grounding the F-18s. During the campaign, no one asked Trudeau why this is a good idea, and now he thinks he doesn't need to explain his decision. At the same time, Canadian ground troops who provide training were dodging bullets near Mosul last week. Don't Canadians want the F-18s to have their backs?

I have read complaints about the quality of the F-18s from people in Toronto, but not from the pilots.
Canadian troops need the six f-18s in the air in Iraq and Syria when Canadian ground troops are in the area.

With the legalization of marijuana, another example of change that was campaigned without an explanation. The explanation is that Justin Trudeau had a brother who was driving down the highway when he was pulled over by the RCMP. He had an amount of marijuana in his possession that constituted possession and he was given a court date. Before Justin's brother got to trial, he died during a skiing accident (avalanche/lake). Still, Trudeau cannot forget that if marijuana laws were more relaxed in Canada, his brother wouldn't have been facing a criminal conviction.

Justin's other brother is close friends with a man who has been repeatedly identified as a terrorist sleeper. Trudeau intends to change the law so that identified terrorists are not expelled from Canada because he trusts his brother and his friend.

What is Trudeau up to and why?
Does he have a chip on his shoulder about the dress his mom wore at the White House, and the Consevative's accomplishments?
I stopped reading after the highlighted part. I might come back later and read the rest of it....maybe.

Your assumption that Canadians agreed with all laws passed by a government, let alone the disaster of the Conservative government is so ridiculous that bothering with the rest of the post seems pointless.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
If the next government was formed by the Conservatives, the NDP, the Greens, or any other political party... it would not surprise me in the least if they went and did the exact same thing, and undid every Liberal measure they could think of... because that's politics. Every political party has its own agenda. And they'll get rid of any obstacles to their own agenda once they're in power.

Although, you have to wonder, in their haste to reverse each and every Conservative measure, if they might be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

What's different this time around, I think, is that the Liberals are making a point of publicizing how they're undoing old legislation and old policies. Instead of just moving ahead and implementing their own stuff, they're putting a lot of focus on "out with the old"... they aren't even doing a stellar job of implementing their own stuff yet, a lot got delayed or withdrawn in the past month or two. They're going to have to move on from the "undoing" part and start "doing" some of what they campaigned on.

(I skipped over the F-18 bit too... haven't been following it much.)

Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
If the next government was formed by the Conservatives, the NDP, the Greens, or any other political party... it would not surprise me in the least if they went and did the exact same thing, and undid every Liberal measure they could think of... because that's politics. Every political party has its own agenda. And they'll get rid of any obstacles to their own agenda once they're in power.

Although, you have to wonder, in their haste to reverse each and every Conservative measure, if they might be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

What's different this time around, I think, is that the Liberals are making a point of publicizing how they're undoing old legislation and old policies. Instead of just moving ahead and implementing their own stuff, they're putting a lot of focus on "out with the old"... they aren't even doing a stellar job of implementing their own stuff yet, a lot got delayed or withdrawn in the past month or two. They're going to have to move on from the "undoing" part and start "doing" some of what they campaigned on.

(I skipped over the F-18 bit too... haven't been following it much.)
Undoing the bad stuff Harper implemented was part of their campaign. It is also what all the people I know who voted for changed wanted to see.

I'm still waiting for some work on C-51.

This has been posted before, but it's an easy way for everyone to keep track and hold our government accountable.

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca

Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Trudeau is responsible for making responsible decisions and moving this country forward instead of being stuck in a groove.

Liberals planning to buy Super Hornet fighter jets before making final decision on F-35s, sources say | National Post

No government will get everything right but i see this government as being quite refreshing and transformative, especially compared to what we had before.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-06-2016 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 PM

54 posts, read 44,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is Trudeau determined to undo all 66 (was it 60?) laws that were passed under the Conservative government -
god i hope so! can't wait for it.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Honestly, one can't accuse countries like China or Russia for "human rights violations", and then sell 15 billion worth of weapon to Saudi Arabia government which has the worst human rights record on earth. It just tells the world it is more about politics than about human rights.

I have no problem with this.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Honestly, one can't accuse countries like China or Russia for "human rights violations", and then sell 15 billion worth of weapon to Saudi Arabia government which has the worst human rights record on earth. It just tells the world it is more about politics than about human rights.

I have no problem with this.
Wasn't it a reporter that brought up China's human rights violations this time?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Wasn't it a reporter that brought up China's human rights violations this time?
Yes, the Chinese foreign minister's response was ridiculous and childish.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, the Chinese foreign minister's response was ridiculous and childish.
The question wasn't even directed at him, it was directed at Dion. Really brings home that alot of the people running the show in China may not be very competent. For a diplomat to do that was just crazy, now everyone is talking about human rights abuses in China, and has been given the impression that the Chinese regime is a bully that it's dangerous to engage with. Absolutely the opposite of what his job is. I think China's on the wrong track under Xi Jinping and I don't think Trudeau should go for free trade with them right now, I feel like it isn't the right time yet and they won't make for honest partners right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or