U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grittiest City
Toronto 6 15.38%
Vancouver 3 7.69%
Montreal 8 20.51%
Calgary 1 2.56%
Saskatoon 2 5.13%
Winnipeg 17 43.59%
Ottawa 0 0%
Quebec City 0 0%
Halifax 0 0%
Edmonton 0 0%
Regina 1 2.56%
St John's NL 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times

Advertisements

Well, one good thing I can say about Winnipeg is one of the coolest Canadian bands, or just bands period came out of Winnipeg. What other Canadian city can match this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLMF5GM0Kt8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 AM

873 posts, read 814,965 times
I like Winnipeg. It's a very cool city and I'm glad I grew up there.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:14 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
LOL its Stoke not stroke... what the heck u thinkin of

Hey i'm always open and definitely would like to visit Winnipeg. I'm pretty sure i'd enjoy it!
I used to go to Winnipeg every other week when I worked on the trains....years ago. I haven't been back yet.
I liked it, in summer. Nice river, nice people etc. It felt very different from Vancouver.

It was the first place that I really understood cold. It was mid-winter and I walked the few blocks from the train station to the Fort Garry Hotel, with no gloves. My hand froze to the handle of my suitcase. Ugh. The pain.

Stupid west coast kid.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:15 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well, one good thing I can say about Winnipeg is one of the coolest Canadian bands, or just bands period came out of Winnipeg. What other Canadian city can match this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLMF5GM0Kt8
That takes me back. Ya, pretty hard to beat.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,945,872 times
I couldn't find any blight or urban decay in Winnipeg or Hamilton, at worst some slightly run down low income areas with graffiti here and there. Nothing like the rustbelt or the southern states in the US.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I couldn't find any blight or urban decay in Winnipeg or Hamilton, at worst some slightly run down low income areas with graffiti here and there. Nothing like the rustbelt or the southern states in the US.
Yeah for the most part Canadians cities are in good shape. I have actually seen a lot of improvement and renovation in Many places. Some of the places I have seen this are in MTL and Halifax.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:45 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,049,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah for the most part Canadians cities are in good shape. I have actually seen a lot of improvement and renovation in Many places. Some of the places I have seen this are in MTL and Halifax.
Both are a huge improvement over say, 50 years ago, just judging by old photos. Even Saint John (NB) got spruced up a lot in the downtown core around the City Market and around that historic area, where the old brick Victorian buildings are located. Spruced up for tourists.

There is an apocryphal story about Saint John, attributed to Donald Sutherland. He was born in Saint John, although he was still a bit young when his family moved away, I guess. His father was in the military during WW2. During the war he asked his father if he was afraid of the Nazis coming to bomb Saint John. His father told him no... if the Nazis came and flew over Saint John, they'd assume it had already been bombed and they would keep flying.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Both are a huge improvement over say, 50 years ago, just judging by old photos. Even Saint John (NB) got spruced up a lot in the downtown core around the City Market and around that historic area, where the old brick Victorian buildings are located. Spruced up for tourists.

There is an apocryphal story about Saint John, attributed to Donald Sutherland. He was born in Saint John, although he was still a bit young when his family moved away, I guess. His father was in the military during WW2. During the war he asked his father if he was afraid of the Nazis coming to bomb Saint John. His father told him no... if the Nazis came and flew over Saint John, they'd assume it had already been bombed and they would keep flying.
Haha lol

I was over there in the 90s I dont remember it being too too bad.

North end of Halifax was terrible in the 90s. Houses with boarded up windows, vacant lots, people standing around on street corners. It was not a nice place, but now you dont really see that anymore, they have really fixed the place up. Hollis street in downtown Halifax is another place that has made a 360 turn. It was probably one the sleeziest places I have ever seen. It was not uncommon to see ladies out there in pumps a bikini and fake mink, no joke, lol. That is all thing of the past, its looking really nice down there now. There are a lot beautiful old homes in Halifax too. I find St John and Halifax look a lot a like.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM

I just saw some pics on another forum of small cities in Sourthern Ontario. Who ever mentioned those cities was right, the urban decay is a lot worse than I have seen anywhere else.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 06-20-2016 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 AM

150 posts, read 146,244 times
Where is Hamilton? Winnipeg and Hamilton should be the only options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada