U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

34 posts, read 114,615 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out the best way to immigrate to canada. I have aunts and cousins that live in Canada but I'm over 18 so they would not be acble to sponsor me. I thought about applying as a skilled worker but I have been advised that can take up to 5 years. If I go as a student there will be limitations on me in regards to working. I am a US green card holder. Does any one have advise that knows the system.I need a shortcut !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,428,726 times
All the immigration options for moving to Canada can be found through Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

There aren't any legal "shortcuts".

Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM

70 posts, read 259,967 times
What's the hurry? What difference does it make if it takes 2 or 5 years? As long as you are living and working where you want.....you still have all the rights and benefits as all other Canadians (other than voting).

Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM

315 posts, read 1,506,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by channy0808 View Post
Does any one have advise that knows the system.I need a shortcut !
The fastest way is to come in on a Temporary Work Permit. Work permits are good for 1 - 3 years and can be extended. Once you are here, you can apply for Permanent Residency as a skilled worker or provincial nominee.

To get a Temp Work Permit, a company must apply for and receive a favorable Labor Market Opinion. Once they have that, you can apply for the permit and gain entrance (you must prove you qualify for the job and are admissable).

Of course, I have over simplified the process for the sake of this post. Once you find a company that wants to hire you, they will be best served by retaining an experienced immigration attorney to assist with the process. The whole deal should take 6 - 12 weeks.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 AM

70 posts, read 259,967 times
Look for jobs in Alberta as we are crying for people to work. The newspapers here are constantly running ads on seminars to show companies on how to hire immigrant labour. Depending on your education and skills they are also fast tracking many professions.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:19 AM

I live in THE USA not canada. I am a resident in the us. I want to move to CA

Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 AM

The fastest way is to come in on a Temporary Work Permit. Work permits are good for 1 - 3 years and can be extended. Once you are here, you can apply for Permanent Residency as a skilled worker or provincial nominee.

To get a Temp Work Permit, a company must apply for and receive a favorable Labor Market Opinion. Once they have that, you can apply for the permit and gain entrance (you must prove you qualify for the job and are admissable).

Of course, I have over simplified the process for the sake of this post. Once you find a company that wants to hire you, they will be best served by retaining an experienced immigration attorney to assist with the process. The whole deal should take 6 - 12 weeks.

do u think an apartment rental company would qualify ? I am a Leasing Consultant/Apartment Rental Agent

Old 02-16-2008, 11:26 AM

315 posts, read 1,506,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by channy0808 View Post
do u think an apartment rental company would qualify ? I am a Leasing Consultant/Apartment Rental Agent
I suspect getting a favorable LMO is Alberta is possible for just about any skilled position. The real trick is finding a company that will offer you a job and then go through the hassle and expense of getting a Labor Market Opinion months before you can even start.

Anything is possible but it would be an uphill fight.

Where do you want to live and why?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
I suspect getting a favorable LMO is Alberta is possible for just about any skilled position. The real trick is finding a company that will offer you a job and then go through the hassle and expense of getting a Labor Market Opinion months before you can even start.

Anything is possible but it would be an uphill fight.

Where do you want to live and why?
Montreal for the European like style of living, stronger economy, I love the cold/snow, less expensive to live in QC compared to other parts of Canada. I need a change and a place to start over and I feel that's montreal

Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,428,726 times
How's your French? Might be hard to have success as a unilingual rental agent in Montreal or other areas of Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada