U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,536,431 times

Advertisements

My condolences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,878,817 times
Terrible news and utterly despicable that this happened My heart goes out to the victims families and the LGBTQ community at large. I wonder how many more shootings like this will have to happen before the US wakes up and decides to make a paradigm shift in the way they deal with guns and the gun culture there as a whole

Old 06-12-2016, 03:36 PM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
My deepest condolences to everyone effected by this horrific tragedy. Just turned on the news a short while ago and learned of this. What a dark day in history this is. There are so many thoughts I'd like to express about the whos, hows, whys, whats and wherefores behind this incident but right now am feeling too sad and numbed to put them into words.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:38 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Changing gun laws will fix nothing. If someone in that place had a gun he could have been stopped. The problem is our borders are wide open. Most of the murders in the USA happen in gun free zones.
Gun free zones mean nothing. NYC has strict handgun laws but what good are they? There are no border checks etc when you enter NYC? What is needed is a NATIONAL gun policy.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:48 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,137,980 times
This article and particularly this excerpt from it resonated with me.

Quote:
The weapon that was used in this case can discharge several hundred death-inducing shots per minute. The immense firepower of that weapon has allowed this to become the most deadly terrorist attack since 9/11. As a country, we must take a moment to pause and contemplate whether an unbridled protection of our Second Amendment rights is appropriate in this day and age.

There is simply no rational reason to believe that we have to supply citizens with assault weapons. Any paranoid belief that such weaponry would be necessary in a government-induced Armageddon simply pales in comparison to the undeniable reality of what we might do -- are doing -- to each other with such weapons.
When Orlando shooting brings terror, guns to my backyard - CNN.com

Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Sad to hear this news. My condolences to the victims and their families.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM

213 posts, read 160,928 times
As a gay man living in the US, I appreciate the condolences. Thank you for the thread.

That said, it's ludicrous to think the reason these things haven't happened to this degree in Canada is because of Canadian foreign policy. Muslims attacked Ottawa; they attacked the military in Quebec. There have been lots of Muslim terrorist atrocities that were prevented - many from well before the US invasion of Iraq - that were thwarted because of the security authorities in Canada. Muslims planned to bomb Ste-Catherine St in Montreal; they planned to blow up a VIA Rail train, etc.

The only reason these things haven't claimed the lives they have here in the US is because of luck, and because Canada isn't insane and actually has common-sense gun laws.

But don't kid yourself- Canadians aren't immune. Radical Muslims hate you, too, and they'd love to slaughter people in Canada as well.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:56 PM

6,520 posts, read 7,461,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
As a gay man living in the US, I appreciate the condolences. Thank you for the thread.

That said, it's ludicrous to think the reason these things haven't happened to this degree in Canada is because of Canadian foreign policy. Muslims attacked Ottawa; they attacked the military in Quebec. There have been lots of Muslim terrorist atrocities that were prevented - many from well before the US invasion of Iraq - that were thwarted because of the security authorities in Canada. Muslims planned to bomb Ste-Catherine St in Montreal; they planned to blow up a VIA Rail train, etc.

The only reason these things haven't claimed the lives they have here in the US is because of luck, and because Canada isn't insane and actually has common-sense gun laws.

But don't kid yourself- Canadians aren't immune. Radical Muslims hate you, too, and they'd love to slaughter people in Canada as well.

Sir you seem to have gotten the message from this attack that I also have gotten. Muslim extremist, ISIS to be exact have attacked the US and they are motivated by a hatred for Western culture. The US was the target today, specifically homosexuals as ISIS detests the tolerance for homosexuals in western societies. Tomorrow however the attack may be aimed at any other western nation, or a different group in a different western nation. Tomorrow it may be Christians, or young people in a theater, well you get the picture. They hate Western society, hate its openness and freedom, they hate everything about it. There are those who will try and make it about our foreign policy, but this is about them and their lack of tolerance for our existence. As I stated in my previous post this attack is also designed to pit us against each other, conservative vs liberal, traditional values against progressivism, well all Americans should see through this tactic and see it for what it is, an attack on the United States by ISIS. I may not agree with the gay activists but as they are fellow American citizens I am angry and sickened by what has occurred in Florida. We need to stand together and support the victims, and then hold the people, groups or nations behind this responsible. It is never acceptable when Americans die on our own soil at the hands of terrorists. I disagree with you however about the gun laws, again this had nothing to do with that. The terrorists in Europe got guns for their plots in spite of the gun laws over there. These are committed killers, they will get their weapons whether they are legal or not. I hope to see the whole conservative vs liberal thing put on hold while we make the decisions on how to deal with these enemies. We can go back to arguing these issues amongst ourselves later, but we should never let outsiders pit us against each other after they have attacked us.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:02 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
There are some interesting issues raised through this thread, but I'm wondering if they deserve their own threads. In other words, it might be easier to discuss if we separated the condolences from the commentary.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM

839 posts, read 589,438 times
I thank our Canadian brothers and sisters for their comments. However, to try to use this to advocate stricter gun laws is foolish. The murderer had a federal gun license that allowed him to posses automatic weapons because he was an armed security guard. I don't know what companies you have in Canada, but think Brinks armored cars in the U.S. Because of his job he was exempt from local gun laws. He also had access to body armor.

This individual, because of his Radical Islamic upbringing, was taught to hate freedom, gays and lesbians, and women. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

I learned first hand of the oppression of Radical Islam. While in the Navy I visited Turkey, and the United Arab Emerites. I saw first hand how women are removed from day to day activities and treated as second class citizens. Anyone who continues to deny that Radical Islam is the problem is blind and will just continue to perpetuate the violence they bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada