U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:28 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There are some interesting issues raised through this thread, but I'm wondering if they deserve their own threads. In other words, it might be easier to discuss if we separated the condolences from the commentary.
Bingo. It would be better to have one thread free of politics and just for condolences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:29 PM

18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There are some interesting issues raised through this thread, but I'm wondering if they deserve their own threads. In other words, it might be easier to discuss if we separated the condolences from the commentary.
EXACTLY SO! Thank you Chevy for your timely interjection.

I have no problem debating some of the points raised on the other boards but my intention was not to create a venue for us to "rub salt" in this thread.

My intention was to express my sympathy and to give encouragement to the American's on these boards that we are in their corner and will hope they can rally against the negative influences these events stimulate in all of us.

Now is not the time and this, I most humbly exhort you all, is not the thread for debating gun laws, gay laws, muslim laws, the moral imperatives behind American incursions, or any of those things the P&OC forums exist expressly for.

Folks; they're hurting down there and will no doubt raise all of the arguments for and against everything from their 2nd amendment to their foreign policy one could possibly make without unnecessary help from us.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Bingo. It would be better to have one thread free of politics and just for condolences.
Once again that was indeed the intent and I thought I had worded the post to make that understood.

Thank you Netwit.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
As a gay man living in the US, I appreciate the condolences. Thank you for the thread.

That said, it's ludicrous to think the reason these things haven't happened to this degree in Canada is because of Canadian foreign policy. Muslims attacked Ottawa; they attacked the military in Quebec. There have been lots of Muslim terrorist atrocities that were prevented - many from well before the US invasion of Iraq - that were thwarted because of the security authorities in Canada. Muslims planned to bomb Ste-Catherine St in Montreal; they planned to blow up a VIA Rail train, etc.

The only reason these things haven't claimed the lives they have here in the US is because of luck, and because Canada isn't insane and actually has common-sense gun laws.

But don't kid yourself- Canadians aren't immune. Radical Muslims hate you, too, and they'd love to slaughter people in Canada as well.
Muslims attacked Ottawa?

A lone gunman, born in Montreal who was an addict and had mental health issues, who converted from Roman Catholicism to Islam shot and killed on Parliament Hill.

"They" attacked the military in Quebec. Again, a lone radicalized born and bred Canadian, ran over and killed
Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent. Again by all accounts he become unhinged according to family and friends.

In both of these instances there have been NO connections to any other group or persons involved.

You have two individuals, much like the Orlando killer, who were having mental troubles.

It is not unrealistic to assume that people with certain mental issues want to become part of something bigger than themselves. Right now it's Islamic terrorism, in the future who knows.

This is not to take away thwarted efforts by some to do harm in Canada, but let's keep things in perspective.

To someone unfamiliar with your Ottawa and Quebec stories, they would have a much different picture of what actually happened by reading " muslims attack Ottawa ".

Old 06-12-2016, 05:44 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,443,437 times
If our American friends want to vent, and express their views I don't see a reason to try and stop them . They have every right to do so.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:46 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If our American friends want to vent, and express their views I don't see a reason to try and stop them . They have every right to do so.
Well, after reading Netwit and others comments about this thread ( I'm guilty of going off topic ) I think we should respect BruSan's initial reason for this thread.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well, after reading Netwit and others comments about this thread ( I'm guilty of going off topic ) I think we should respect BruSan's initial reason for this thread.
Who is thread for exactly Netwit and Brusan? No disrespect to Brusan, he should have stated that from the beginning instead of opening the door for further discussion.....

Quote:
I keep wondering to what extent this will affect the individuals outlook towards any one of the many contentious conundrums facing the American people as a whole. It has to have some impact on the subconscious of everyone.

They are being tested as they've never been tested before to come to a national consensus.

All those things we have come to appreciate about America are being put under strain like never before and it is my hope we can watch as they prevail and come together to become even stronger and more unified than recent years have illustrated

If we are going to show solidarity with our friends, they should be allowed to respond how they see fit. Specially since the outlet for them do so on our forum was opened up. After all this thread is for them.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:12 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Its not just Americans who are hurting from this - a lot of people are. I know it may come as a shock to some in here, but Gay communities around the world are hurting too. Unless you're gay - you don't understand.

Something for people to think about as well.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its not just Americans who are hurting from this - a lot of people are. I know it may come as a shock to some in here, but Gay communities around the world are hurting too. Unless you're gay - you don't understand.

Something for people to think about as well.
You are 100% correct.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Who is thread for exactly Netwit and Brusan? No disrespect to Brusan, he should have stated that from the beginning instead of opening the door for further discussion.....

If we are going to show solidarity with our friends, they should be allowed to respond how they see fit. Specially since the outlet for them do so on our forum was opened up. After all this thread is for them.
My mention of "conundrums" was the political manoeuvering by various entities to gain nothing more than points on the board.

It is not "THEY", the Americans at large, I had in mind when I was exhorting people to use restraint.

Surely you understand.

If our American friends wish to vent it should not come as a result of their Canadian brethren castigating them for their approach to various issues.

We should listen and support at this time.

There will be many threads created over in the P&OC where opinions will be aplenty and expected. This is the Canada board and it is time for "condolences", sympathy and respect.

I'm finished begging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada