U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not taking away from what you said, nor was I questioning it. I guess I was more or less adding to it. Civilization has taken a black eye today from barbarism.
I agree with you Daniel.. Honestly I didn't realize I would react this way or that I'm reeling from this but I am! I'm talking to friends in Rome right now and there are vigils right now going on at Roma Pride for this. We as a community are feeling this around the world is what i'm trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,321,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It seems relevant to me to put a thread in place that expresses my sympathies to the American people at the occasion of yet another terrible event in their country.

Orlando shooting: 'Isil-allied' Omar Mateen named as gunman who killed 50 in Pulse nightclub in America's worst ever mass shooting

As a nation, Canada has experienced some soul shattering events but I believe we can be thankful to not have had to endure the seemingly never ending chain of horrendous acts perpetrated upon our citizens the USA has been subjected to over that last decades.

I keep wondering to what extent this will affect the individuals outlook towards any one of the many contentious conundrums facing the American people as a whole. It has to have some impact on the subconscious of everyone.

They are being tested as they've never been tested before to come to a national consensus.

All those things we have come to appreciate about America are being put under strain like never before and it is my hope we can watch as they prevail and come together to become even stronger and more unified than recent years have illustrated.

I'm rooting for you Team America. God speed.
Thank you.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:08 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
I have only one thing to say and it sounds neither new nor compassionate: Blame NATO for all these.

Yes you can say RIP or accuse ISIS but it's all utterly useless. If western governments don't change their foreign policy, don't stop meddling ME business under the hypocritical pretext of human rights (real reason being oil), then we will keep losing innocent lives. It will NOT stop.

The atrocity of ISIS or extremism is hardly the root of the problem, and we all pretend it is.

Side note: Trump may sound horrible but Clinton being such a war mongering hawk, will only make things far worse all things considered. But it's American lives and it is their choice. At least Canada is stopping being stupid.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:17 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,787,713 times
If we are being realistic things like this can happen at any time or any place. It just takes one person to do something horrible. We can't live in fear and stop doing things or society as a whole loses. The night of the Paris attacks I was sitting at a concert and going to concerts, street festivals and cultural events is what keeps me wanting to wake up each morning. I am not willing to lose out on this part of my life because an off balanced person is having a bad day or has a chip on their shoulder. The best any of us can do is keep on living and if we see or hear something suspicious we need to report it. We has come so far in many ways. I know that I am even more motivated to take part in Pride events in my city this year!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
What were you thinking when France decided to attack Libya and Sakozy said Gaddafi must go?

Honestly what DID you clueless guys expect will happen when Gaddaffi and Saddam are "removed" as dictators? That ME will enjoy eternal peace and human rights are vastly improved? For Christs sake, don't be so naive!

In present day Afganistan, all NATO could say is "now more girls go to school". EVERYTHING else got worse and they know it.

And they still think it is imperative to remove Assad. Thank God we have Putin.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,170,919 times
I can't wait to abandon this warzone country.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What were you thinking when France decided to attack Libya and Sakozy said Gaddafi must go?

Honestly what DID you clueless guys expect will happen when Gaddaffi and Saddam are "removed" as dictators? That ME will enjoy eternal peace and human rights are vastly improved? For Christs sake, don't be so naive!

In present day Afganistan, all NATO could say is "now more girls go to school". EVERYTHING else got worse and they know it.

And they still think it is imperative to remove Assad. Thank God we have Putin.
Yes thank god we have Putin - a champion for gay rights

Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,754,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not taking away from what you said, nor was I questioning it. I guess I was more or less adding to it....
And the points made by Daniel, Luis, Fusion, and others, are good points. I think that they are worth discussing, even here in the Canada forum. Just, perhaps, not in this thread.

I understand why BruSan started this thread; what puzzles me is how derailed it has become. Maybe a new thread to discuss the issues raised here would be better.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And the points made by Daniel, Luis, Fusion, and others, are good points. I think that they are worth discussing, even here in the Canada forum. Just, perhaps, not in this thread.

I understand why BruSan started this thread; what puzzles me is how derailed it has become. Maybe a new thread to discuss the issues raised here would be better.
I would agree about the fact that really this should have been left as a condolences thread. I just wanted to expand on the fact that the gay community and not just in America but the world over has been impacted (among others). the cat has been let out of the bag though Chevy.. If you want to create a new thread to deal with the politics of it all i'd contribute to that thread. Where possible I did try to keep it about the victims - not just who passed away but all those impacted by the events.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,754,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you want to create a new thread to deal with the politics of it all i'd contribute to that thread.
Ask and you shall receive. New thread started; I look forward to everybody's contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada