U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Ask and you shall receive. New thread started; I look forward to everybody's contributions.
Thanks Chevy. I made the first contribute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 AM
 
18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Ask and you shall receive. New thread started; I look forward to everybody's contributions.

Well done again Chevy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes thank god we have Putin - a champion for gay rights
You know I wasn't talking about gay rights.
I am glad Putin is there to check western abuse of power in the middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
So I don't want to get in trouble for posting in here but since this thread is a condolences thread, I just thought i'd post for the family of Mr Hall. Mr Hall is the second Canadian murdered at the hands of Abu Sayyaf militants (affiliated with the despicable scourge of the earth ISIS) in the Phillipines.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...cid=spartanntp

RIP Mr Hall and just like the Orlando victims who died as a result of hate, your death was a result of the same darkness and you and Mr Ridsdell will not be forgotten.

Read Voyage Canada travel advisories! They are in place for a reason folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Forest bathing
1,630 posts, read 967,014 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I appreciate the kind words from the citizens of our closest ally. I know as an American I am tired of seeing this kind of thing both here and in other parts of the world. I know the people of Europe have also grown tired of seeing it as well. This terrorists has done something no other has done. He has killed over 50 people as a lone wolf attacker, struck terror in the citizens of a large American city and he may have successfully pitted two domestic adversarial groups against each other in the US. I hope all Americans can see through this tactic. Whether or not you support gay marriage, believe in gay rights, believe in traditional values or a secularist society I think we need to stick together and not let this social issue intervene in how we view this attack on our nation. If we descend into bickering over the homosexual rights issues then the terrorists have won another victory. We can sort those things out later, separate from our response to this foreign inspired brutality. The attacker professed allegiance to ISIS. That is all I need to know, I hope our government responds to the terrorists the way they should be dealt with. In fact it is high time the Western nations have a sit down together and put together a real coalition to rid the world of ISIS once and for all. The bloodletting in Europe and North America will only continue if we do nothing. No one should fear walking into a night club in Paris, Orlando or anywhere else. I know our friends up north will be part of the solution as they always are. RIP to the victims.
Very well said. RIP to all who have been murdered by terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Reputation: 3257
Another Canadian killed at the hand of muslim extremist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So I don't want to get in trouble for posting in here but since this thread is a condolences thread, I just thought i'd post for the family of Mr Hall. Mr Hall is the second Canadian murdered at the hands of Abu Sayyaf militants (affiliated with the despicable scourge of the earth ISIS) in the Phillipines.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...cid=spartanntp

RIP Mr Hall and just like the Orlando victims who died as a result of hate, your death was a result of the same darkness and you and Mr Ridsdell will not be forgotten.

Read Voyage Canada travel advisories! They are in place for a reason folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 AM
 
18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So I don't want to get in trouble for posting in here but since this thread is a condolences thread, I just thought i'd post for the family of Mr Hall. Mr Hall is the second Canadian murdered at the hands of Abu Sayyaf militants (affiliated with the despicable scourge of the earth ISIS) in the Phillipines.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...cid=spartanntp

RIP Mr Hall and just like the Orlando victims who died as a result of hate, your death was a result of the same darkness and you and Mr Ridsdell will not be forgotten.

Read Voyage Canada travel advisories! They are in place for a reason folks.
I agree fusion; insofar as nations struggling with the impact these particular deaths are having upon our collective thinking, this is yet another of those that give us all pause for introspection.

Each time something like this happens it causes the exact same kind of frustration with the inability to act in an expedient manner to forestall the next one.

It's all so darn complex and fraught with foreseeable negative consequences that whatever action seen as effective would also carry with it far reaching and unpredictable reaction.

The world's become the type of place where, if I was a believer; any supreme being has to be shaking his figurative head at the mess we've made of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I agree fusion; insofar as nations struggling with the impact these particular deaths are having upon our collective thinking, this is yet another of those that give us all pause for introspection.

Each time something like this happens it causes the exact same kind of frustration with the inability to act in an expedient manner to forestall the next one.

It's all so darn complex and fraught with foreseeable negative consequences that whatever action seen as effective would also carry with it far reaching and unpredictable reaction.

The world's become the type of place where, if I was a believer; any supreme being has to be shaking his figurative head at the mess we've made of it all.
Well in this particular case, both Mr Ridsdell and Mr Hall went to a part of the Philipines that we had a travel advisory about. If they went to Cebu or more northerly islands this probably would never have happened. The southern islands of the Philippines are where these elements are at their strongest.

In any event, Canada should assist the Philippines routing these people out if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 PM
 
18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well in this particular case, both Mr Ridsdell and Mr Hall went to a part of the Philipines that we had a travel advisory about. If they went to Cebu or more northerly islands this probably would never have happened. The southern islands of the Philippines are where these elements are at their strongest.

In any event, Canada should assist the Philippines routing these people out if possible.
Agree again. Personal responsibility to consider why it would seem an adventure worthy of risk to life or limb to travel anywhere when advising against it has been done by many org's. would seem to indicate a response of "hey bub, you threw the dice......." being more than appropriate, but we all know how the 'squeaky wheel' functions.

Much will be made about Canada's lack of effort on their behalf without even knowing the facts. Canadians will be sitting in their loungers with a beer in hand emoting stuff like we should punish their government for all but sanctioning these kidnappings without giving thought to what manner of punishment Canada is in any position to exact.

I hesitate to join you in providing help to some of these places because we are well aware by now as to how our help can be hijacked into becoming a tool for despotic regimes to further their ambitions.

In the long term Canadians need to consider it ain't the friendly world it was before where Canadians were welcomed everywhere and even given special considerations. Now we're seen by the disenfranchised as just another member of the world's thoughtless, wealthy elite to smite every chance they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Agree again. Personal responsibility to consider why it would seem an adventure worthy of risk to life or limb to travel anywhere when advising against it has been done by many org's. would seem to indicate a response of "hey bub, you threw the dice......." being more than appropriate, but we all know how the 'squeaky wheel' functions.

Much will be made about Canada's lack of effort on their behalf without even knowing the facts. Canadians will be sitting in their loungers with a beer in hand emoting stuff like we should punish their government for all but sanctioning these kidnappings without giving thought to what manner of punishment Canada is in any position to exact.

I hesitate to join you in providing help to some of these places because we are well aware by now as to how our help can be hijacked into becoming a tool for despotic regimes to further their ambitions.

In the long term Canadians need to consider it ain't the friendly world it was before where Canadians were welcomed everywhere and even given special considerations. Now we're seen by the disenfranchised as just another member of the world's thoughtless, wealthy elite to smite every chance they get.
Well as you know, I travel quite a bit and its a calculated risk all the time. Sometimes you just can't avoid it but in this particular case, it was well known and highlighted that the island they were visiting had a much higher risk of kidnapping than many many others in the Philippines. These gentleman were frequent visitors to the Philippines and probably took things for granted.

I get your hesitation to assist the Philippine government though it is a democracy and they are fighting terrorist groups so I think if there is something we can do - we should. I'm not saying military assistance - but with police, intelligence and detective work which are probably areas that we as Canadians are stronger in than brute force.

As for people around the world. On my visits to most countries I try to get to know some of the locals and I've met many friends. Its the best way I think to sort of dispel any unfriendly notions. People are people.. We may have different cultures and political views but we generally have the same passions and in many cases values.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-14-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top