Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,409,975 times

Advertisements

It seems relevant to me to put a thread in place that expresses my sympathies to the American people at the occasion of yet another terrible event in their country.

Orlando shooting: 'Isil-allied' Omar Mateen named as gunman who killed 50 in Pulse nightclub in America's worst ever mass shooting

As a nation, Canada has experienced some soul shattering events but I believe we can be thankful to not have had to endure the seemingly never ending chain of horrendous acts perpetrated upon our citizens the USA has been subjected to over that last decades.

I keep wondering to what extent this will affect the individuals outlook towards any one of the many contentious conundrums facing the American people as a whole. It has to have some impact on the subconscious of everyone.

They are being tested as they've never been tested before to come to a national consensus.

All those things we have come to appreciate about America are being put under strain like never before and it is my hope we can watch as they prevail and come together to become even stronger and more unified than recent years have illustrated.

I'm rooting for you Team America. God speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:52 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,775,174 times
Thanks for creating this Bru..

I posted the following in another thread but will post here instead:

I just want to say my heart goes out to the friends and family of the 50 people killed and 53 injured last night in a gay nightclub in Orlando. The lone shooter - 29 is linked to radical Islam and is dead also. This is June and often a time that gays take part in Pride festivities across the world. As tragic as this is, it underscores to me that Pride isn't just a time to celebrate and party, but also take stalk that the LBGTQ community needs to continue the fight and the struggle towards creating societies that are open, respectful and embrace diversity. We have work to do up here too, make no mistake about that and we all need to band together in that goal.

To all my brothers and sisters who lost their lives - R.I.P and we will continue the fight with you in our hearts and minds.

Was it a hate crime against gays or an act of terrorism - it was both and we should all be repulsed by this act and stand united! We can all benefit from less hate in our hearts because it all comes from the same dark place.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-12-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 PM

9,448 posts, read 10,745,226 times
I appreciate the kind words from the citizens of our closest ally. I know as an American I am tired of seeing this kind of thing both here and in other parts of the world. I know the people of Europe have also grown tired of seeing it as well. This terrorists has done something no other has done. He has killed over 50 people as a lone wolf attacker, struck terror in the citizens of a large American city and he may have successfully pitted two domestic adversarial groups against each other in the US. I hope all Americans can see through this tactic. Whether or not you support gay marriage, believe in gay rights, believe in traditional values or a secularist society I think we need to stick together and not let this social issue intervene in how we view this attack on our nation. If we descend into bickering over the homosexual rights issues then the terrorists have won another victory. We can sort those things out later, separate from our response to this foreign inspired brutality. The attacker professed allegiance to ISIS. That is all I need to know, I hope our government responds to the terrorists the way they should be dealt with. In fact it is high time the Western nations have a sit down together and put together a real coalition to rid the world of ISIS once and for all. The bloodletting in Europe and North America will only continue if we do nothing. No one should fear walking into a night club in Paris, Orlando or anywhere else. I know our friends up north will be part of the solution as they always are. RIP to the victims.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM

President Obama has declared this an act of terror and an act of hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-ow1N2FLY

Old 06-12-2016, 12:40 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,375,450 times
Awful. My heart goes out to our American brothers and sisters, from EVERY walk of life.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:58 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,431,993 times
I'm just hearing about this now. So sad.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM

617 posts, read 534,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It seems relevant to me to put a thread in place that expresses my sympathies to the American people at the occasion of yet another terrible event in their country.

Orlando shooting: 'Isil-allied' Omar Mateen named as gunman who killed 50 in Pulse nightclub in America's worst ever mass shooting

As a nation, Canada has experienced some soul shattering events but I believe we can be thankful to not have had to endure the seemingly never ending chain of horrendous acts perpetrated upon our citizens the USA has been subjected to over that last decades.

I keep wondering to what extent this will affect the individuals outlook towards any one of the many contentious conundrums facing the American people as a whole. It has to have some impact on the subconscious of everyone.
I join the condolences.
However I must add that the reason Canada did not experience such dramatic events is that its government is smarter and does not conduct super aggressive foreign policies against other countries. No one out there has asked US to bring "democracy" to Iraq, Syria, Ukraine - US is in constant wars with other countries which are thousands miles away and pose no threat to it.
Violence brings more violence, never solves problems.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I join the condolences.
However I must add that the reason Canada did not experience such dramatic events is that its government is smarter and does not conduct super aggressive foreign policies against other countries. No one out there has asked US to bring "democracy" to Iraq, Syria, Ukraine - US is in constant wars with other countries which are thousands miles away and pose no threat to it.
I see the attacks as two-fold.. An act of terror on the American people and the other an act of hate against the Gay community. I think we'd have to be blind not to acknowledge that this isn't simply an act of terror and was also targeted against a specific community. I think President Obama highlighted that well in his speech and did a good job conveying that.

I don't always agree with the F.P of the U.S either but at the same time if you think that radical islam speaks for the Iraqi or Syrian or M.E people as a whole they don't. They engage in terror against all kinds of groups even within those countries and we can't constantly excuse their actions just as a response to what the U.S has done.. There comes a time when they have to take responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming the U.S.. The fact is this group wants to create a society that the civilized world simply does not want. Would you want to be a citizen under ISIS rule? Do you ascribe to that value system. If the answer is no than we need to confront them for our own sake.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,346,362 times
It's just horrifying. I feel sadness for the families and friends of the victims.

There will be soul-searching in the U.S., to try to figure out how such a tragedy could've been prevented. But we all know that the access to high-powered assault rifles is a major factor behind this and similar events, that occur with numbing routine frequency in the States. And what will be done to take these high-powered weapons off the street? What's it going to take for people to act?

Old 06-12-2016, 01:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,501,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I join the condolences.
I have to agree with you.

I am very saddened to hear about all those unnecessary deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada