U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,448,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note again that I did not name names!

I also have issues with Orthodox Jewish men who don't want to sit next to women on airplanes, for example.
I know you didn't Acajack. It was in response to another comment on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM

21,959 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Regarding gay-friendly religions, there are some fringe groups but among the larger mainstream ones there aren't many. Probably the friendliest is the United Church of Canada. The Anglican church isn't too hostile either but still struggles with the issue a bit.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily want you to do anything. I just find surprising the eagerness and willingness to give a blank cheque to any form of religious accommodation or freedom to be demander or exercised, simply because (I assume), they're minorities "too".
Well if the expectation is that we don't take any form of action than really - isn't the eagerness and willingness largely irrelevant? I don't give anyone a blank cheque to violate my rights and freedoms! Honestly, i'm not really seeing an impact to my rights and freedoms as a Canadian by other religious groups in general. I think in the case of homophobia - there is absolutely generalized homophobia but that certainly isn't or can't be relegated to just a few religious groups. If we truly wanted to get rid of homophobia we'd have to get rid of straight people.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 PM

As a married straight guy I don't have any skin in this game directly. Unless I suppose one of my kids ends up being gay.

But anyway, I do believe in equality and social progress,

I don't think there is any reason to be alarmed but there are some things that need to be watched IMO.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I think it unfair to say it is just Muslims and Christians. Hindus and Sikh have more than their share of extremist and anti gay views. If people don't want to see it, that is something different.

Tories dump candidate who touts therapies to turn gay youth straight - Politics - CBC News
And the Tories made the right decision! I wouldn't have voted for any party that didn't deal with this issue the way they did. As a matter of fact, this article just further reinforces the fact that our institutions are responsible.

I don't think there is any question that some groups have more conservative or are more likely to have more conservative views but again - what exactly do we do about it other than to really take drastic action in terms of immigration intake. If that is what is being proposed than let's not beat around the bush about it. I don't agree with Max - but he's being honest about his approach that is for sure. I know where he's coming from and its not insidious.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Things change quickly sometimes and progress is not always linear.

Photo from 1920s Berlin

Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Regarding gay-friendly religions, there are some fringe groups but among the larger mainstream ones there aren't many. Probably the friendliest is the United Church of Canada. The Anglican church isn't too hostile either but still struggles with the issue a bit.
I believe the United church actually ordains gay ministers. Some Presbyterian congregations are quite open also.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
As a married straight guy I don't have any skin in this game directly. Unless I suppose one of my kids ends up being gay.

But anyway, I do believe in equality and social progress,

I don't think there is any reason to be alarmed but there are some things that need to be watched IMO.
Well I don't have any skin in the game in a lot of things but it doesn't mean I won't stand up for what I think is right or just for other groups. As for the rest of what you said, I would agree - we do need to ensure that our values in this country are not compromised. I totally agree there. Watching an arm that has a cut is one thing, to make sure it doesn't get infected and keeping things in check - its entirely another thing to cut the arm off as some elements would have us do re immigration.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
And the Tories made the right decision! I wouldn't have voted for any party that didn't deal with this issue the way they did. As a matter of fact, this article just further reinforces the fact that our institutions are responsible.

I don't think there is any question that some groups have more conservative or are more likely to have more conservative views but again - what exactly do we do about it other than to really take drastic action in terms of immigration intake. If that is what is being proposed than let's not beat around the bush about it. I don't agree with Max - but he's being honest about his approach that is for sure. I know where he's coming from and its not insidious.
I don't know but I think we are doing a good thing by talking about it, and lets call people out when they are clearly in the wrong. I am on your side Fusion.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Things change quickly sometimes and progress is not always linear.

Photo from 1920s Berlin
I bet Hitler was made up like that at one point or another back in the 20's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada