U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 PM
 
14,238 posts, read 6,138,067 times
Reputation: 8875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm talking about generalized homophobia.. If you want to keep it about just murder there are still a plethora of examples of gays killed by Christians or gays just killed by people in general. In the religiously inspired cases, they actually distort their religion and enact judgement and actually break the very tenets of their religion by doing what they do. I agree with you, religion isn't the only influence on hate though. Totally, absolutely and unequivocally agree with that. I'm just highlighting that Islam isn't the only religion or entity in the world that has a hate on for gays and we shouldn't forget that and conveniently use one example and put all the crosshairs on Radical Islam.
Islam is the religion that you as a gay man should be concerned about. They did a survey in England, and when asked if homsexuality was acceptable or unacceptable, 100% answered that it was unacceptable. Further, 52% said homosexuality should not be legal. That's right, they want to put you in jail for it. Over 20% wanted the option for them to be under Sharia law. The same amount thought that men should be allowed to have more than one wife. And these weren't just newly arrived immigrants. Many of them had been born and raised in England. A whole bunch of them said they wouldn't turn in a family member who got radicalized. A larger than expected number said they identified or somewhat approved terrorist attacks around the world by Muslims. As a group, they have become less moderate over time.

The so-called moderate Muslim isn't nearly as moderate as people think. Christians are not trying to outlaw homosexuality. The worst you will get from them is wishing to make gay marriage illegal. For the record, I am neither Christian nor against gay marriage. I've always been for it as long as it's been proposed. There are too many legal benefits of marriage to deny it to a portion of the population. Besides, I don't think it's a sin and I don't see how someone else's choice in a spouse is any of my business. My aunt was able to marry her long time girlfriend last year, and everyone was very happy for them. And I live in the Bible Belt (Texas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2016, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Islam is the religion that you as a gay man should be concerned about. They did a survey in England, and when asked if homsexuality was acceptable or unacceptable, 100% answered that it was unacceptable. Further, 52% said homosexuality should not be legal. That's right, they want to put you in jail for it. Over 20% wanted the option for them to be under Sharia law. The same amount thought that men should be allowed to have more than one wife. And these weren't just newly arrived immigrants. Many of them had been born and raised in England. A whole bunch of them said they wouldn't turn in a family member who got radicalized. A larger than expected number said they identified or somewhat approved terrorist attacks around the world by Muslims. As a group, they have become less moderate over time.

The so-called moderate Muslim isn't nearly as moderate as people think. Christians are not trying to outlaw homosexuality. The worst you will get from them is wishing to make gay marriage illegal. For the record, I am neither Christian nor against gay marriage. I've always been for it as long as it's been proposed. There are too many legal benefits of marriage to deny it to a portion of the population. Besides, I don't think it's a sin and I don't see how someone else's choice in a spouse is any of my business. My aunt was able to marry her long time girlfriend last year, and everyone was very happy for them. And I live in the Bible Belt (Texas).
No disrespect Katygirl - but I think it resonates more importantly for me through actual experience living as a gay man to decide what should concern me as a gay male in my own country. Also, London is London - the climate may not be the same in Canada so the comparisons shouldn't tried to be made in a corollary manner. I'm not under any illusion that even muslims in Canada are exactly gay friendly in general (though believe me I know many muslim queens here) but we have to look at the overall threat to our society in Canada - its pretty low.

Besides - what exactly are you proposing for Canada - that we close the door to Muslim immigrants? It seems to be the implication by many without actually saying it. I'm actually more fearful of this mentality, than the rather limited number of total muslims who may actually be a threat to our broader way of life. Certainly in Toronto where I am from, the gay community is actually extremely robust and in a position of strength. About 1 million of us and our allies will be making that statement on July 3rd.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-18-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 09:37 PM
 
14,238 posts, read 6,138,067 times
Reputation: 8875
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No disrespect Katygirl - but I think it resonates more importantly for me through actual experience living as a gay man to decide what should concern me as a gay male in my own country. Also, London is London - the climate may not be the same in Canada so the comparisons shouldn't tried to be made in a corollary manner. I'm not under any illusion that even muslims in Canada are exactly gay friendly in general (though believe me I know many muslim queens here) but we have to look at the overall threat to our society in Canada - its pretty low.

Besides - what exactly are you proposing for Canada - that we close the door to Muslim immigrants? It seems to be the implication by many without actually saying it. I'm actually more fearful of this mentality, than the rather limited number of total muslims who may actually be a threat to our broader way of life.
No, I'm not proposing that. We have a lot of Muslims in my hometown, and all I have met seem very nice. But there is a tiny percentage here and in Canada I assume. I also assume that Canadian Muslims are probably more integrated than British Muslims. But it is a concern when there have been so many terror attacks here. Canada hasn't gotten nearly as many as we have. I'm sure if you did have a terror cell there, they'd be plotting to attack us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, I'm not proposing that. We have a lot of Muslims in my hometown, and all I have met seem very nice. But there is a tiny percentage here and in Canada I assume. I also assume that Canadian Muslims are probably more integrated than British Muslims. But it is a concern when there have been so many terror attacks here. Canada hasn't gotten nearly as many as we have. I'm sure if you did have a terror cell there, they'd be plotting to attack us.
Well actually Toronto (not the gay community specifically) has actually been targetted with attacks before as have other cities in Canada.

Here is one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_V...terrorism_plot

Despite what some may think, Canadian Intelligence is actually very good. It won't prevent and has not prevented every conceivable attack but we have had a good track record foiling past plots.

In any event, don't think it isn't a concern for me as not just a gay male, but also as a Canadian. I am, believe me but we also have to balance safety with our values as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Reputation: 8626
Interesting report on Radio-Canada today about an openly gay imam in Toronto. In the same report there were comments from another imam (also based in Toronto) who said that there was no room for gay people in Islam and that the punishment for this was death. Quote unquote as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting report on Radio-Canada today about an openly gay imam in Toronto. In the same report there were comments from another imam (also based in Toronto) who said that there was no room for gay people in Islam and that the punishment for this was death. Quote unquote as they say.
This has been the concern for me is this kind of heightened and inflammatory rhetoric going on because of one event that happened somewhere else. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

To balance out your report - There is positive leadership in the Imam circles here in Canada - even when faced with extraordinary hate.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29809829/

Last edited by fusion2; 06-18-2016 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,925 posts, read 2,739,423 times
Reputation: 5104
There is this article as well:

Toronto mosque welcomes LGBT community for Ramadan feast - Toronto - CBC News

Biography: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El-Farouk_Khaki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 11:41 PM
 
14,238 posts, read 6,138,067 times
Reputation: 8875
He started a Unity Mosque. It's cool, but I hope he has lots of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Reputation: 3738
I've actually met Mr Khaki on several occasions. He is an incredible human being and very talented legal mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,186 posts, read 1,760,094 times
Reputation: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Islam is the religion that you as a gay man should be concerned about. They did a survey in England....
Who is "they"? Can we get a cite to "their" research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top