U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,818,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, I'm not proposing that. We have a lot of Muslims in my hometown, and all I have met seem very nice. But there is a tiny percentage here and in Canada I assume. I also assume that Canadian Muslims are probably more integrated than British Muslims. But it is a concern when there have been so many terror attacks here. Canada hasn't gotten nearly as many as we have. I'm sure if you did have a terror cell there, they'd be plotting to attack us.
The percentage of Muslim-Canadians is three times higher than the US. I just read in Atlantic Monthly that the % in the US is about 1%, compared to about 3% in Canada. Most Canadian Muslims live in urban areas. My neighborhood is about 30% Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,451,761 times
Only 3% percent of the total population. Wow, I would have thought it was much higher with the amount of attention the media and our prime minister give them.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 AM

14,228 posts, read 6,129,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Who is "they"? Can we get a cite to "their" research?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ity-sharia-law

C4 survey and documentary reveals What British Muslims Really Think - Channel 4 - Info - Press

Old 06-19-2016, 08:54 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Who is "they"? Can we get a cite to "their" research?
Why the incredulity? Do we need a poll to prove that the Habs are the most popular hockey team in Montreal?

Old 06-19-2016, 08:58 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This has been the concern for me is this kind of heightened and inflammatory rhetoric going on because of one event that happened somewhere else. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

To balance out your report - There is positive leadership in the Imam circles here in Canada - even when faced with extraordinary hate.

Meet the Toronto imam wanted dead by Islamic State - The Globe and Mail
The report I heard was not unbalanced. It didn't really focus on the death threat. It was more about how the gay imam was a courageous trailblazer.

Still don't know why people can make death threats in public in Canada under the guise of religion. I thought this was illegal.

Imagine if a Catholic bishop talked about gays as committing a mortal sin... what the reaction would be.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:07 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,159,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The report I heard was not unbalanced. It didn't really focus on the death threat. It was more about how the gay imam was a courageous trailblazer.

Still don't know why people can make death threats in public in Canada under the guise of religion. I thought this was illegal.

Imagine if a Catholic bishop talked about gays as committing a mortal sin... what the reaction would be.
When I said balance I meant in terms of the perception that all Imams would advocate such drastic measures against any group. Not that what you were saying was unbalanced. I would agree with you, such threats shouldn't be tolerated in this country - regardless of who is making them and if they are religious or not.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,453,326 times
Thoughts on Orlando without having read any of this thread (because I don't want to develop an aneurism): typical weekly American happening that will in turn dredge up yet another low-IQ gun defense debate, nothing is solved, the problem will persist, and the discussion will return to City Data ad nauseam until the USA has another revolution that doesn't suck.

I do not claim to know definitively whether or not this was a radicalization thing or an anti-gay thing. Probably more likely an anti-gay thing. Regardless, the main problem is the USA has a gun problem it doesn't want to talk about.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:46 AM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Quote:
Look up the Dancing Boys of Afghanistan. This has been a part of their culture long before Islam came along. I don't think him going to gay bars or watching drag queens is all that different, though I haven't heard one person claim to have had a sexual relationship with him. Whether he was scouting the places, or targeting someone specific that he did have a relationship with, I don't think it was as awful of a thing in his culture as people seem to think.

Maybe I'm wrong about him, but I am right about the culture there.
You are making a huge leap. There is a HUGE difference between one aspect of Afghan culture and gay bars.

However we are talking about HIM, so at least you are seeing that you could be wrong about him. I may be proven wrong as more evidence if any, comes forward. Until them, I'm sticking to what we know.

As an aside, gay hook up apps, like he used, are not part of Afghan culture.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Actually you have in a previous page.
What known facts did I discard?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The authorities haven't finished their investigation, and have no reason to tell us everything until they do. And did I act like a foreign language was scary? No! I just said they said he made a phone call and spoke in a foreign language to someone. Could it have been his wife or someone in a foreign country? You know, like a terrorist network?

If you would just read my post without getting angry about the gun thing, maybe you could understand the point I was trying to make.
Could have, would have, should have. I'm going by what we know so far. It doesn't help his ex-wife ( whose family says is frightened ) or anyone by having people gossip and jump to conclusions ESPECIALLY since the investigation isn't over.

As I said before. I'm going by the known facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada