U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,070,697 times
Reputation: 1256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Over 70% of the illegal weapons found during searches and as the result of violent crimes in Canada originated in the U.S. of A.

Dubious claim....a 2005 article from the Globe and Mail: "Statistics belie flood of guns from U.S."

Statistics belie flood of guns from U.S. - The Globe and Mail


"Guns from the U.S. are an issue, but a small part of the bigger picture," said Paul Culver, a senior Toronto Crown Attorney.

From his vantage point, gun crimes are a complex riddle. He finds the ones he prosecutes mostly involve weapons stolen from Canadian homes and businesses.

"Guns on the street are nothing new, especially in Toronto. I would say they are probably being used more often."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 AM
 
1,300 posts, read 828,892 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Katy it's easy to point fingers with 20/20 hindsight but how many shooters have the FBI stopped we don't know about?

They are overwhelmed with potential terrorists. Like the director James Comey said in his speech, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and even if we find the needle you never know when a piece of hay will become another needle.

And for the record, I have no issue with legitimate skepticism and healthy distrust like some have expressed in this thread.

But I have all kinds of problems with fanatical partisans - at either end of the political spectrum - attempting to gin up and manufacture stuff to suit a political agenda.

As for the sheeps....you need to stay close to the shepherd
This is the part that I don't understand why people that defend Muslims don't seem to get. If finding a terrorist is like looking for a needle in a haystack and even if you find the needle you never know when a piece of hay will become another needle, then why in the world would you want to ADD MORE HAY TO THE ALREADY MASSIVE PILE??

It just boggles my mind that if someone asked you to take in a few homeless people into your home and feed, cloth and house them you would probably say no. Even if they seemed like nice homeless people, you would probably still decline because you don't know them and wouldn't want to risk your property or your personal safety to help them in this manner and you'd probably just prefer to help them in a different way. Yet when it comes to a national scale and Muslim refugees all this logic goes out the window and the ONLY WAY we can help these people is by bringing them into our countries and spending countless resources to take care of them as well as watching over them so that none of this new pile of hay turns into more needles.

So someone please tell me why on a personal level its ok to say no to allowing strangers into your home, but on a national level to do the same thing is so wrong and unfathomable even though the reasons for saying no are mostly the same??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How are you pro-Palestinian after watching that? I used to be pro-Palestinian, but then I realized they don't deserve that country. What would they do if handed over one of the most prosperous and socially tolerant countries in the Middle East? Would they continue in the vein of Israel, who gives us advances in medicine and technology that benefits the world? No! It would turn back into the same crap hole it probably was before Israel came along. .
I am not in favour of "handing over" all of Israel to the Palestinians. I am in favour of a Palestinian state alongside Israel. This includes the West Bank and several other territories BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
On the morning of. I'm not saying that information wouldn't have come to him eventually, but he ALLEGEDLY cheered AT THE MOMENT THE PLANE HIT. That is a HUGE difference.

Anyone who followed geopolitics....yes, could have had a good GUESS. However, he wasn't a good student. He was a troubled youth. I seriously doubt he followed geopolitics closely if at all.
Kids can be highly politicized at a young age on certain issues. Especially if their parents are passionate about these issues. They don't have to be at the top of the class in order to separate two sides into bad guys and good guys.


I am sure this kid wasn't up to speed on the two Koreas, or the Zapatista rebellion in the Chiapas.


But it's plausible he was reasonably aware (for someone of his age) of the generalities of the conflict in the Middle East and the faults people in that region attributed to the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 AM
 
14,195 posts, read 6,105,213 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Katy it's easy to point fingers with 20/20 hindsight but how many shooters have the FBI stopped we don't know about?

They are overwhelmed with potential terrorists. Like the director James Comey said in his speech, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and even if we find the needle you never know when a piece of hay will become another needle.

And for the record, I have no issue with legitimate skepticism and healthy distrust like some have expressed in this thread.

But I have all kinds of problems with fanatical partisans - at either end of the political spectrum - attempting to gin up and manufacture stuff to suit a political agenda.

As for the sheeps....you need to stay close to the shepherd
How many have they stopped since Obama has been in office? I would imagine a few, but we are at a point where what they were most worried about for two years is coming true and they obviously have no plan. I understand things slip through the net. It's the reaction after that really irritates me. Let's pretend this was just an anti-gay attack. Let's pretend that was just a workplace grudge. Anything but terrorism.

And look at the furor over what Trump said about profiling. This guy who twice came on their radar for comments and associations should have been profiled, but instead they scrubbed his name from the list because their list is so large it's completely ineffective. If you're watching everyone, you're watching no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 AM
 
14,195 posts, read 6,105,213 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not in favour of "handing over" all of Israel to the Palestinians. I am in favour of a Palestinian state alongside Israel. This includes the West Bank and several other territories BTW.
I suppose it matters what several other territories. I personally know next to nothing about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I know I don't like Israeli settlements. I don't like Hamas and their terrorist leanings. I don't like that they hid missiles in schools and launched them into Israel, or used women and children as shields so they could then complain that Israel was hitting schools and women and children. I don't like that they use most of their money on making bombs instead of improving the lives of their people. I don't like that they used to regularly use suicide bombers to kill people in Israel. Remember all the bus bombings?

I don't think either side is going to give up their claims, but I do believe they could peacefully co-exist and even prosper if the Palestinian leaders would allow it, and they won't. Now I understand that the people on both sides have hardened so much against the other that peace is probably impossible. And expecting Israel to give up so much is probably like expecting the United States to give up all of the Southwest (and some of their most prosperous states) to Mexico. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

So someone please tell me why on a personal level its ok to say no to allowing strangers into your home, but on a national level to do the same thing is so wrong and unfathomable even though the reasons for saying no are mostly the same??
OK, let me answer that since it bothers you that much: because Canada participated in the "air strikes" of Syria, and therefore is partly responsible for the refugee situation.

Don't tell me that was meant to remove a dictator and improve human rights and freedom to Syrians. I am sick of hearing that BS. There is a reason Switzerland is not prone to terrorist attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:25 PM
 
14,195 posts, read 6,105,213 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OK, let me answer that since it bothers you that much: because Canada participated in the "air strikes" of Syria, and therefore is partly responsible for the refugee situation.

Don't tell me that was meant to remove a dictator and improve human rights and freedom to Syrians. I am sick of hearing that BS. There is a reason Switzerland is not prone to terrorist attacks.
Gee, I wonder why we weren't all expected to take in Nazis or Japanese after WWII?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Reputation: 13321
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Dubious claim....a 2005 article from the Globe and Mail: "Statistics belie flood of guns from U.S."

Statistics belie flood of guns from U.S. - The Globe and Mail


"Guns from the U.S. are an issue, but a small part of the bigger picture," said Paul Culver, a senior Toronto Crown Attorney.

From his vantage point, gun crimes are a complex riddle. He finds the ones he prosecutes mostly involve weapons stolen from Canadian homes and businesses.

"Guns on the street are nothing new, especially in Toronto. I would say they are probably being used more often."
And guess where they're coming from:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...92a_story.html

Gun Runners: Unsuspecting Canadian drivers drawn into world of weapons smuggling | Windsor Star

9. Illegal Access to Firearms - Firearms, Accidental Deaths, Suicides and Violent Crime: An Updated Review of the Literature with Special Reference to the Canadian Situation

American guns fuel violence in Canada

Excerpted: 'Shady gun dealers in the U.S. supply our northern neighbors with weapons through a smuggling route known as the “Iron Pipeline” or “Blue Steel Highway.” Toronto’s police chief, Bill Blair, tells the CBC that up to 70 percent of guns recovered at crime scenes in his city were sold in the U.S."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,901 posts, read 2,725,320 times
Reputation: 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Gee, I wonder why we weren't all expected to take in Nazis or Japanese after WWII?
I guess you could call Nazis German extremists. Fear of extremists didn't stop Canada from welcoming German families after WWII.

Quote:
As part of its postwar policy of resettling displaced persons from Europe, Canada admitted some 15,000 Volksdeutsche (east European ethnic Germans) from 1947 to 1950.....

The re-admission of Reichsdeutsche (German nationals) in 1950 opened the flood gates to a quarter of a million German newcomers by 1960
German Canadians - The Canadian Encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top