Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't know but I think we are doing a good thing by talking about it, and lets call people out when they are clearly in the wrong. I am on your side Fusion.
I don't know man - I have a lot of black and muslim friends and a lot of black gay and gay muslim friends and the solution that Max is putting on the table scares the crap out of me. I guess if our society starts to take a turn and what we value as Canadians is compromised than we deal with it. Creating a bunch of bogeyman and engaging in unnecessary divisiveness and speculative fear is just not Canadian to me. We have more cajones than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't know man - I have a lot of black and muslim friends and a lot of black gay and gay muslim friends and the solution that Max is putting on the table scares the crap out of me. I guess if our society starts to take a turn and what we value as Canadians is compromised than we deal with it. Creating a bunch of bogeyman and engaging in unnecessary divisiveness and speculative fear is just not Canadian to me. We have more cajones than that.
I am not advocating a ban on muslim Immigrants. If we really have cojones then lets speak about the issues and not be afraid to call a spade a spade. Religion should get no slide in my view and that goes for Crhistians, Muslims, Sikhs etc etc.......they have done enough damage to the world already. I think its time we stood up to them.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:40 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Strange story:

ISIS 'kill list' includes names of 151 Canadians - Canada - CBC News

Quote:
The Canadian names are mostly of women, from predominantly small centres in Canada, although there are some from large cities, too.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
And what does you have gay black freinds have anything to do with what im saying? I am not saying the same thing as max sterling. I never even mentioned blacks or skin color. I was pretty clear that I was talking about religion and extremist.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
No one (except maybe Max) is suggesting we exclude Muslims from immigration to Canada.

What some of us are saying is that we shouldn't open the door even more to stuff like this:

Passengers on Porter flight clash when male ultra-Orthodox Jew refuses to sit next to woman | National Post

Passengers on Porter flight clash when male ultra-Orthodox Jew refuses to sit next to woman | National Post

These two cases involve women, who along with gays tend to be the main "victims" of more conservative religious streams.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:53 AM

^^Exactly.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM

213 posts, read 227,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Some of the religions that gays have passionately defended here and elsewhere would throw gays under the bus (or worse) in a second if ever they gained significant power in Canada.
Yup. The perennial desire to demonize Israel at the TO Pride parade is something I've never, ever understood. First, it's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand - why not have a "Meat is Murder" float while you're at it? And secondly, the vast majority of Palestinians - like other Arabs and Muslims - loathe homosexuality.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how so many gays are so very sympathetic to certain religions and support their demands under the guise that ''we're all minorities, and minorities botta stick together". Even if these same religions can be extremely homophobic. They conveniently overlook this, and if certain other religions (perceived as non-minority I guess) did them same thing, the gay community would be screaming bloody murder.

It all smacks of an incredible naïveté. And other stuff too.
No one I know. My statement was about pro gay religious groups. Are you talking about the recent Muslim/Gay alliance in the US?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Some of the religions that gays have passionately defended here and elsewhere would throw gays under the bus (or worse) in a second if ever they gained significant power in Canada.
Can you link some of this info? For the life of me, the only thing I can think of is perhaps gays standing up for others to have the right to their beliefs, as long as it doesn't infringe on law, and doesn't infringe on the rights of gay people.

I suppose there may be a few gay people who belong to religions that hate them, sort of like Gay Cons, or Gay Republicans, but that would be a very, very small minority.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I don't necessarily want you to do anything. I just find surprising the eagerness and willingness to give a blank cheque to any form of religious accommodation or freedom to be demander or exercised, simply because (I assume), they're minorities "too".
Hmmm. Gay people may be a bit more tuned into discrimination, so perhaps have a good understanding of personal rights. Maybe.

I really don't know of, or EVER heard of any gay organization giving a blank cheque to ANY group. They may be more willing to listen, state their disagreement, and agree to disagree. UNLESS, as I said, and ALL the evidence points to this, that group, minority or not, tries to impose their beliefs into law or any act of discrimination.

Gay people have been fighting for decades for their rights. Do you really believe that they would just suddenly give carte blanche to anybody?

If you're response is " some gay people " then ya, there are all types. Your language in your posts doesn't suggest you are talking about individuals when you say " gay people " or " gays ". It's like me saying "straight people really have penchant for ..." fill in the blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada