Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times

Advertisements

Either Yukon, Northwest Territories, or Nunavut. How common is it for Canadians to travel to these remote regions? Just curious because I have always wanted to go to one of these places, especially The Yukon or Yellowknife, NWT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Either Yukon, Northwest Territories, or Nunavut. How common is it for Canadians to travel to these remote regions? Just curious because I have always wanted to go to one of these places, especially The Yukon or Yellowknife, NWT.
None of the the territories are "destination spots". I've been to Rankin Inlet, Chesterfield Inlet, and Iqaluit which is the largest city in Nunavut. Nunavut is beautiful in places, but incredibly barren. The closest tourist destination spot to Nunavut is Churchill, Manitoba. Thousands of tourists go there every year to see the polar bears, ride on the tundra, see the Port of Churchill, birdwatch, and kayak with whales. It's just a hop, skip and jump Rankin Inlet and other spots in Nunavut from there. The Canadian north is involves some very expensive travel. I've been to Yellowknife, but wasn't there long enough to get a get impression of the city. It's cold like any other northern place, but the people are friendly.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,488 times
It's really beautiful in the summertime. If you're into the woods,hiking or biking then go to Yukon. Otherwise save your cash and go elsewhere.
Most people that live up there are working. Nobody wants to live there.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
How common? Not very common but not unheard of. Unless there's a particular reason to go (ie: work, family, etc.), the average Canadian doesn't go there because it's brutally expensive to travel there - more expensive than flying to Australia, Europe, or Asia, for example. A lot of the communities are fly-in only - there are no roads. The communities are tiny and remote. You'd have to do some careful planning to travel there.

When I studied at UBC, there was an entire arctic geography program and grad students would fly up to Nunavut to do field research. I once worked as a cartographer for a mining company, and some companies we worked with had properties up in the territories, so they'd fly the geologists up there. So in those social circles it would be a bit more common, but for the most part, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut are difficult to get to so the average Canadian, even if they're curious about the territories, won't spend the money to travel there when it's so much easier and cheaper to travel elsewhere.

Saying that, here in BC, it's not uncommon for outdoor enthusiasts to have travelled up to the Yukon - the territory that links Alaska with BC. It's about a 2 day drive north of Vancouver. The Alaska Highway also runs through the Yukon, making it a bit more of a tourist destination than the other territories I'd imagine. The city of Whitehorse has a bit of a gold rush town atmosphere and a bit of an arts scene - I have friends who have taken their bands up to Whitehorse on summer touring circuits. But whether that's common is debatable.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
I worked for a few years as a fishing guide near the headwaters of the Mackenzie River (nearest town was Hay River, NWT). I overwintered in Hay River one year. I've travelled to various parts of the Yukon as well. I've never been east of Great Slave, though Nunavut is certainly on my list of places to go.

As for how many people make the trek up there - other responses in the thread seem pretty accurate to me. The north isn't much of a tourist destination for most folks.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Only to Labrador. Would that count?

The easy way to technically get to Nunavut: Drive the good, fast highway in Quebec up to one of the James Bay towns, and have someone take you offshore in James Bay to one of the islands, and step ashore. All the islands are in Nunavut.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,442 times
I've never been to either of the Territories, and I can't say I know anyone who has lived there either.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
I've been to Carcross, Yukon, which is just barely across the border from British Columbia. In fact, it's not far from Skagway, Alaska, which is where we left from. (We were on an Alaskan cruise.)

The scenery was beautiful.

Oh, and I'm not even a Canadian, although I did live in Montreal for a time.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
... Nobody wants to live there.
What's that? A joke?

In university I had a friend from Yellowknife. He loved the north and couldn't wait to head back each April when school ended. I have also had two friends that lived in Hay River (nurses) and they loved it as well. So there's THREE people that wanted to live there.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

415 posts, read 560,400 times
I spent two and a half months up in the Territories in the summer of 1989. I was on a seismic vessel in the Beaufort Sea with my company at the time (Halliburton Geophysical). It was interesting to get off shift at midnight, and see the sun brightly shining, and I swear that I wasn't smoking anything funny! That summer was exceptionally warm; even at the end of September, we were on the back deck in shirt sleeves only. Having said that, I'm still a global warming sceptic, especially after the winter we just had in most parts of Canada (and from what I gather, a lot of the US). Other than the initial two weeks to prepare the boat for its expedition while in Tuktoyaktuk, I wasn't on land too much.

My father spent a year at the DEW Line up in the Northwest Territories with the Canadian Air Force (1969/70). There were several days when, despite being considerably further south, Winnipeg was colder than where my Dad was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada