U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
This.

I was in the NWT for a month volunteering two years ago and the MPs office was rather skeptical that I was picking a few carrots and zucchini in Ndilo. Eventually all worked out and I was cleared, but they definitely monitor that stuff to make sure others aren't "doing a job a Canadian citizen could be doing" as I was told. I don't disagree with the policy, just that anyone thinking that they take it lightly would be mistaken. Entering Canada I was help up at the border for 4 hours as the officers were making sure I wasn't a 22 year old punk who had no plan to return to the USA. I was planning to stay three months, but they only issued me a one month visa. I suppose when your a young kid traveling alone by car and you tell the border police your driving to Yellowknife for a few months to check out a newly established non profit organization, it's going to raise a few flags.
It's a real shame it's come to this. Yes, even volunteer work can technicality be not permitted if it's something a Canadian could do, and the experience would be valuable to them. Same for the U.S. If we need to start monitoring one another this much, it seems time we work this out under NAFTA. That way, you could go and WOOf or build houses on a reserve or poor neighnourhood, and not get hassled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 PM

54 posts, read 44,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
For a couple of examples - If the applicant is a known criminal with a long criminal history and records, or if he has other serious offenses or serious financial or multiple health problems that would have automatically disqualified him anyway, then being married to a Canadian citizen isn't going to help him one bit. It just means the Canadian citizen he's married to has a different problem of their own to deal with.
It doesn't even have to be that severe. If your sponsor or co-sponsor cannot show he or she has enough $$$ to support you as your spouse, you can still be denied status. Particularly because your sponsor/co-sponsor is on the hook for any money you may take from the gov't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or