Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:48 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been to Canada three times in the past thirteen months and have not been able to obtain any 50 cent pieces during any of my visits. Granted, like American JFK half dollars, they are not minted in huge quantities each year which is why I understand people would like to hoard them. I've actually had better luck collecting discontinued pennies and penny rolls from banks and merchants during all three of my visits (I have accumulated several hundred Canadian pennies by now ) but never the 50 cent coin. I really don't want to shell out twice the money plus shipping to order directly from the RCM as I think the Mint is ripping people off that way. I think someone told me on this forum that banks can order a roll in advance for customers but I assume that is only for customers with an active bank account with that bank. Can someone verify if this is true? Would a bank also charge extra for the roll? If it is true and the roll can be purchased at face value, then perhaps I can ask my Canadian relatives to order one for me through their local bank. Would this be a better option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 06:32 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hi all,

I've been to Canada three times in the past thirteen months and have not been able to obtain any 50 cent pieces during any of my visits.
From the Q&A's for the coin:

Quote:
A: The 50-cent coin is classified as non-circulating legal tender in Canada. In recent decades, the fifty-cent coin has not been widely used in day-to-day transactions, and as a result, the Mint only produces the coin for collector sets, and numismatic products such as the 50-cent special wrap roll.

Like other numismatic coins, the value of the product is usually higher than the face value of the coin due to factors such as scarcity (mintage).
50-cent Special Wrap Circulation Roll (2016)

As the coin isn't circulated and the price is higher than face value, I doubt the banks ever order it.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Just buy one at a stamp-and-coin shop. Really, I don't see what the problem is.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Here is a link to the Royal Canadian Mint, re the 50 cent coin and it's history.

link. 50 cents

Jim b.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:20 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I haven't seen one in ages. They used to be kicking around as recently as the 1980s... grew much scarcer as the years went by. I don't think you'd ever come across one in circulation now.

Maybe they'll come back... there's talk of changing the coins, to phase out the 5 cent and the 25 cent. They'd be replaced with 10 cent, 20 cent, and 50 cent, I take it.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Just buy one at a stamp-and-coin shop. Really, I don't see what the problem is.
Pardon my asking but what is a "stamp and coin shop"? Here in the States, we buy stamps from the US Postal Service and circulating coins we obtain from banks (or as change from vendors). Is this some sort of curio shop that sells special stamps and coins? How much would such a shop charge for an ordinary circulated 50 Cent Coin?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is a link to the Royal Canadian Mint, re the 50 cent coin and it's history.

link. 50 cents

Jim b.
I've been to that site dozens of times and love reading up about all of the coins including the 50 Cent Piece. I am trying to avoid ordering directly from the Mint though because they charge twice as much money as the coins are worth ($24.99 CAD for $12.50 or 25 coins excluding shipping). If you read the feedback comments, you'll find out many of your fellow Canadians are complaining about the price the Mint charges as well. That is why I am trying to find out if there are cheaper alternatives to landing this coin.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Pardon my asking but what is a "stamp and coin shop"? Here in the States, we buy stamps from the US Postal Service and circulating coins we obtain from banks (or as change from vendors). Is this some sort of curio shop that sells special stamps and coins? How much would such a shop charge for an ordinary circulated 50 Cent Coin?
There are plenty of places where coin collectors can buy or trade stamps or coins, or other collectible items. You have these Stateside too. The old 50 cent pieces are no longer in regular circulation. The ones you see advertised by the Mint are special edition collectibles.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
There are stamp and coin shops in the u.s. too.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 PM

Here's an update. I just came back from Toronto and while I was there, I happened upon a bank that had a ton of formerly circulated 50 cent pieces from the 70;s and 80's and was able to buy from the bank the equivalent of 2 rolls at face value. I must have been lucky because most banks I've been to didn't have any and some even flat out said they don't order 50 cent coins (same thing here in the States with our JFK half dollars). Then there are the cashiers and tellers that don't even know what I was referring to.

Now the fun that comes is to actually try spending a 50 cent piece and see the reaction from the cashier. I already did it once on the way home and the cashier went like "Oh God, I have not seen this coin in ages!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada