U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:17 AM

240 posts, read 189,411 times

Advertisements

Well I finally decided to make a trip across the river and visit Windsor, Ontario from Michigan. It was pretty interesting. I found the environment very different from my visit to Vancouver years ago, the geography more "southern" although I cant really say how exactly even more southerly contrasted to Michigan. At any rate I am somewhat of a geek and like to go to stores and see how things differ from one places to another so I went to Walmart. Milk in bags in Ontario is a trip.

I bought some British-style chocolates that are unavailable in the States. I noticed there were some items missing in Canada at least at Walmart that were not available. Disclaimer not sure if this was cause Walmart or cause Canada. So heres my missing items list:

No Prego pasta sauce wah :'''(
No spaghettios, uh oh lol
No sour cream, but Ive seen it online so weird

I cant think of anything else. I wanna try pizza pops. We have pizza rolls and hot pockets here. Saw the world famous Kraft Dinner hehe. Noticed some price difference. Soda pop was the same if not cheaper when accounting for the exchange rate but bedding is way more expensive. You can pick up a comforter in the USA less than $20 but a similar item in Canadian Walmart is $44 CDN.

Thats about it. Love that everyone is so extremely polite. Even out of service buses proclaim sorry first haha. I thought Midwesterners were polite. Had an interesting visit. Jealous you guys have all the great British chocolates. Yeah I love the junk food. Anyway so are these items available. What else is different?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM

12,666 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Well I finally decided to make a trip across the river and visit Windsor, Ontario from Michigan. It was pretty interesting. I found the environment very different from my visit to Vancouver years ago, the geography more "southern" although I cant really say how exactly even more southerly contrasted to Michigan. At any rate I am somewhat of a geek and like to go to stores and see how things differ from one places to another so I went to Walmart. Milk in bags in Ontario is a trip.

I bought some British-style chocolates that are unavailable in the States. I noticed there were some items missing in Canada at least at Walmart that were not available. Disclaimer not sure if this was cause Walmart or cause Canada. So heres my missing items list:

No Prego pasta sauce wah :'''(
No spaghettios, uh oh lol
No sour cream, but Ive seen it online so weird

I cant think of anything else. I wanna try pizza pops. We have pizza rolls and hot pockets here. Saw the world famous Kraft Dinner hehe. Noticed some price difference. Soda pop was the same if not cheaper when accounting for the exchange rate but bedding is way more expensive. You can pick up a comforter in the USA less than $20 but a similar item in Canadian Walmart is $44 CDN.

Thats about it. Love that everyone is so extremely polite. Even out of service buses proclaim sorry first haha. I thought Midwesterners were polite. Had an interesting visit. Jealous you guys have all the great British chocolates. Yeah I love the junk food. Anyway so are these items available. What else is different?
Well I don't think I'd hire you to do my research LOL

First off, it may be because of Walmart....or Ontario? Not all of Canada. Regional difference abound in Canada as in the US. As milk in bags prove.

However. Prego is available, but not all stores carry it. I can think of a few that don't.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/prego-pa.../6000048930289

Spaghettios...I'll look when I'm out today..but I don't buy them

Sour Cream. Don't know why they didn't have it. All grocery stores should.

Lots different, especially in the chocolate bar range. Aero, Coffee Crisp, Smarties ( the UK kind ) and on and on.

Kinder Eggs for kids. Illegal in the US, but available mostly worldwide.

Lots of hidden differences. No BGH in dairy in Canada. Different rules on what can be called chocolate as well.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
Isn't milk sold in jugs in most of Western Canada just like in the states? I've seen it sold in bags in Ontario but know not everywhere is like that.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Isn't milk sold in jugs in most of Western Canada just like in the states? I've seen it sold in bags in Ontario but know not everywhere is like that.
Milk in Ontario is not sold just in bag. They are in jugs, cartons AND in plastic bags (usually the larger volume, 4L ones).

It annoys me that many Americans talk as if milk in Ontario is sold solely in bags. It is just one of the options. 90% of the time I buy milk in cartons.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Milk in bags is very common in Quebec too.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:39 PM

240 posts, read 189,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Milk in Ontario is not sold just in bag. They are in jugs, cartons AND in plastic bags (usually the larger volume, 4L ones).

It annoys me that many Americans talk as if milk in Ontario is sold solely in bags. It is just one of the options. 90% of the time I buy milk in cartons.
Yeah I pointed out it just seems to be Ontario. I realize not everywhere in Canada is the same. Only talking about what I saw at a random Ontario Walmart. I DID see almond milk sold in a jug there. Ironically havent seen that in a jug in Michigan. Ive only seen it by the carton here. But it could be.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I think we all know the small quantities are available in jugs and cartons but most of us have never seen it here so it will get talked about as a difference. I have personally noticed the 4 L sizes mostly being in the bags with small sizes in jugs and cartons like you said though.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:44 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think we all know the small quantities are available in jugs and cartons but most of us have never seen it here so it will get talked about as a difference. I have personally noticed the 4 L sizes mostly being in the bags with small sizes in jugs and cartons like you said though.
bags make sense.

Suppose I buy a 4L jug of milk, my fridge isn't even big enough to place that. I would need to remove all the shelves. With bags (normally 3 smaller bags for 4L), it is easy to do.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:21 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
One thing that's all over the place in the U.S., but difficult to find here, is Barkeeper's Friend (a metal pan and stovetop cleaner). There are just a couple of places here that sell it... Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Canadian Tire.

The same with another popular cleaner, Bon Ami.

Are there any Trader Joe's in Canada?

Trying to think of other stuff popular in the U.S., yet not available here... can't think of much else.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:28 PM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Home page - Cheerwine.com

Some American brands are not even nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada