U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mexican citizens require a visa to visit Canada for tourism?
Yes 29 60.42%
No 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,786,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
As a Hispanic person, the whole topic of illegal immigration makes me cringe sometimes. I hate that Hispanics are always associated and linked to illegal immigration and low wage jobs. Its embarrassing. I have mixed feeling about the whole thing, on one hand I have nothing against illegals as people, I understand people want to come here and work, but on the other hand I don't want to have the same problems as the US where massive influx of illegals has created (or has helped maintain) a permanent under class in certain Hispanic areas.
It is not just Hispanics in Toronto at all. There are people from other places too ex Europe or Asians. A lot of the people that I was meeting when doing my placement were from places like Korea or China. Basically any places that it is easy to get a tourist visa, student visa or short term work visa to get here from. The USA has easier access land boards then us so in general it should be easier for people to sneak in there. If you look at the big picture it makes sense... who does not want a better like and better opportunity. Look at Europe for example... the whole or Africa, Asia and the Middle East at crawling and sailing in to their countries. Bodies just wash up of the coast line in some parts of Europe with the bodies of people in boats that were trying to smuggle then in to Europe. I am been exposed to that situation too and wow... crazy. When travelling in Europe and the UK I meet a lot of people from Ivy Coast or North Africa that where there illegally and man crazy situation. People that get in with tourist, student or work visas are getting her the first class route. I have met people that survived being on capsized boats in the ocean trying to get to France, Italy or Spain and just crazy sad. I think the movie Sin Nombre or Who is Dayani Cristal. Even the movie Beautiful based on Barcelona explain the craziness people go through to get here. After watching movies like that I am really starting to think if someone wants to get here that badly ... and is willing to work and contribute ... I am not going to be the one who is going to rat them out. I can't speak for every part of Canada... but I know most people including myself are pretty spoiled in comparison to many places in the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 PM

48 posts, read 33,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is not just Hispanics in Toronto at all. There are people from other places too ex Europe or Asians. A lot of the people that I was meeting when doing my placement were from places like Korea or China. Basically any places that it is easy to get a tourist visa, student visa or short term work visa to get here from. The USA has easier access land boards then us so in general it should be easier for people to sneak in there. If you look at the big picture it makes sense... who does not want a better like and better opportunity. Look at Europe for example... the whole or Africa, Asia and the Middle East at crawling and sailing in to their countries. Bodies just wash up of the coast line in some parts of Europe with the bodies of people in boats that were trying to smuggle then in to Europe. I am been exposed to that situation too and wow... crazy. When travelling in Europe and the UK I meet a lot of people from Ivy Coast or North Africa that where there illegally and man crazy situation. People that get in with tourist, student or work visas are getting her the first class route. I have met people that survived being on capsized boats in the ocean trying to get to France, Italy or Spain and just crazy sad. I think the movie Sin Nombre or Who is Dayani Cristal. Even the movie Beautiful based on Barcelona explain the craziness people go through to get here. After watching movies like that I am really starting to think if someone wants to get here that badly ... and is willing to work and contribute ... I am not going to be the one who is going to rat them out. I can't speak for every part of Canada... but I know most people including myself are pretty spoiled in comparison to many places in the word.
You are right about that. Lots of Eastern Europeans, Chinese, Indian and several other types of people here without status in the GTA. Even some Americans LOL. Nobody can point the finger at any particular race or nationally.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 AM

34,396 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Lets hope we just dont start going nuts about the issue and start thinking of building walls and curtailing whole demographics from immigrating to Canada.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lets hope we just dont start going nuts about the issue and start thinking of building walls and curtailing whole demographics from immigrating to Canada.

Wall???? What for? I really don't think many of these people are causing any trouble. If anything I am more worried they are being taken advantage of. Most people that are born and go to school here don't want the jobs these people without status are taking. They are also often doing it for a cheap rate.... even they are not paying taxes ... well they are less likely to be making as much money or getting paid fairly so it kind of works out in the wash. Above and beyond that they are spending money while here which goes back in to the local economy.

I also think if you able to make it here illegally and stay here for a ceratin about of time without getting in to trouble there should be an opportunity to apply for land immigrant status. If you look at the bigger picture as a Canada person who grew up here I would much rather have the bulk of immigrants coming here qualified to jobs I don't want vs. ones that are highly educated and willing to do my job for 1/2 the cost (which would directly negatively impact my quality of life).

For example my husband has all these friends from North Africa in Toronto that are sponsored by companies to come here to work in these high paying jobs. Yes they are qualified... but so are people here. Why are they seeking them out... because they have the same skills, but will work for a lot less. This type of immigration only helps out major companies and the super wealthy and pretty much screws over the middle class. Also most of these people don't want to stay and build a life in Canada because they already had a good quality of life where they came from. They basically saving their money to bring back to their country. The person less likely to get in a landed immigrant status due to lack or certain qualifications posses less threat to the average middle class person by comparison.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:41 PM

3,913 posts, read 2,731,493 times
Quote:
Canada is prepared to reinstate a visa requirement for Mexican travellers if the number of refugee claims jumps too high, says Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister John McCallum.

The visa lift is set to kick in Dec. 1. McCallum said the federal government was aware of a possible spike in asylum-seekers long before Donald Trump was elected president in the U.S.
Quote:
CBC News has learned officials at IRCC and other departments have held high-level meetings to discuss a potential flood of Mexican asylum-seekers due to both the visa lift and the result of the U.S. election.
John McCallum says Mexican visa could be 'reimposed' if refugee claims spike - Politics - CBC News

Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 AM

625 posts, read 1,188,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wall???? What for? I really don't think many of these people are causing any trouble. If anything I am more worried they are being taken advantage of. Most people that are born and go to school here don't want the jobs these people without status are taking. They are also often doing it for a cheap rate.... even they are not paying taxes ... well they are less likely to be making as much money or getting paid fairly so it kind of works out in the wash. Above and beyond that they are spending money while here which goes back in to the local economy.

I also think if you able to make it here illegally and stay here for a ceratin about of time without getting in to trouble there should be an opportunity to apply for land immigrant status. If you look at the bigger picture as a Canada person who grew up here I would much rather have the bulk of immigrants coming here qualified to jobs I don't want vs. ones that are highly educated and willing to do my job for 1/2 the cost (which would directly negatively impact my quality of life).
Do you get any inkling that our government will even consider this? I know this issue gets some discussion in Toronto and maybe Ontario, but any dialogue on this seems to be lacking at a national level, at least in the mainstream press. I have even heard Canadians say there are no undocumented people in Canada, that's a U.S. thing. Even when it comes to Temporary Foreign Workers, many of whom wanted to remain in Canada, there was some discussion prior to the election but it seems like nothing happened ...

I'm not saying we should open the borders, but this is an issue. As we criticize Trump's rhetoric, will we actually face up to our own issue? I understand Canadian workers may not want the competition, but better legal and able to unionize, than leaving people in the shadows. Our immigration system does not do well with accepting lower skilled workers (except as TFWs) and the demand for labour is there, plus these people want to be part of our society.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 AM

9,537 posts, read 9,420,509 times
Even in parts of the United States where the Mexican population is small, you see Mexican men working in agriculture and construction. Do you find that in Canada, too?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 AM

If you look at the least glamourous jobs in Toronto. They are usually done by new immigrants or students. In Toronto there is a significant amount of people working in businesses like domestic work, cleaning, construction and restaurants that are here illegally. They may have come here on work or tourist visa... but they did not do back and remain here. Regardless of it you are for or against having them removed .. the reality is they are here. So we need to stop pretending they are not.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Even in parts of the United States where the Mexican population is small, you see Mexican men working in agriculture and construction. Do you find that in Canada, too?
Canada has a program which brings seasonal agricultural workers here from several countries, Mexico being a primary one. There are a fair number of Mexican workers on farms. I also see temporary workers sutdents or recent immigrants in service jobs (but generally not Latin immigrants). Construction seems like a fairly protected sector, at least around here, with primarily citizen or permanent resident workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or