U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mexican citizens require a visa to visit Canada for tourism?
Yes 29 60.42%
No 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:02 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times

Advertisements

We should probably look long term to this. This issue was a huge barrier to ongoing good relations to an increasingly important trading partner. Not to mention, Mexicans were one of the largest and fastest growing tourist groups to Canada prior to Harper slapping the visa requirement on them. Tourism plunged but there are also economic consequences. There are justifiable arguments either way but I'm going to go with supporting the lifting of Visa requirements to a growing and increasingly prosperous and important country in the western hemisphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,773,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Wait, how does the visa requirement between Canada and Mexico have anything to do with the US, a third country that is not even involved in this arrangement whatsoever? Why is it becoming a thread about the US again when it has nothing to do with it?? Come on.

What Canada and Mexico decide to do is these two countries' business. Who cares what the White house thinks. It is not like by being in Canada, a Mexican can simply drive to the US without border check.

Can we talk about anything without bringing the US into the discussion?
I was thinking the same thing. Lol

The American ego is too much sometimes.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM

873 posts, read 817,564 times
Visas are useless. Most other countries just require passports. I agree it's more of a political message and it's annoying for the person who wants to visit. I'm glad they got rid of it.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,739,423 times
A little off-topic, but an article published today about seasonal workers in Canada:

Seasonal workers pay a high price - Winnipeg Free Press

Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
A little off-topic, but an article published today about seasonal workers in Canada:

I always think we should hire foreign workers to get our key infrastructure built, so that we don't end up paying $3.2 billion for a one stop subway in Toronto. That's what I call being responsible for taxpayers.

Now, it is like "it is those expensive union workers' job, sure they charge 5 times the price tag and it takes 3x the time to build, but what the hell, suck it up and pay".

Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,458,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

A friend of the family owns a store here in Winnipeg, she sells latin American products and during sometimes of the year she sells thousands of dollars a week in Tortillas. People come off the farms and buy them in bulk. She also sends products to little towns near by like Brandon and as far away as Thompson and thunder bay, Ontario. I am always surprised when I hear about latinos in these areas.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 AM

315 posts, read 1,271,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That's sort of my thinking too. They are an important partner with NAFTA and close ally. Mexicans already don't need a visa to enter the EU, Japan, South Korea and New Zealand so why are we forcing Mexicans to have a visa? I imagine that eventually if the visa is not removed that Mexicans will either force us to pay a reciprocity fee or impose a visa outright for Canadians.
Distance of flying, costs, language may factor for those far distance countries. Plus illegals may network as well. Many get deported out of Canada when caught. Illegals exist in Canada and I have seen show they work under the table, break the law by stealing, don't report a cockroach problem, live too many in one apt and not above lying. Plus leave a clean renovated place in appalling conditions. When evicted were coming back to sleep until lock was changed. I know because I am the janitor's partner for three multi-unit buildings.
I also grew up in California and see what rampant abuse of that has caused Los Angeles to become.
Gangs, press two for Spanish, needing to be bilingual for some occupations and much worse drain on government and crime. Not just in LA. Many parts of California. It really is out of hand. Losing work to people whom will work for very little is not great economically for citizens. When it's only a concept to you it's vague but when it throws sticks in ones spokes not great at all!
Plus I rather see government money spent, instead on illegals with anchor babies, on the homeless, mental illness, veterans and low income citizens. Here and in the US.

Mexicans are great people and very nice but there districts are of Mexicans and other Latinos that even Mexicans (American born) would not live in. If they can keep desperadoes out then great. The climate here over long Winter months are probably a good deterrent for the illegal set.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 AM

315 posts, read 1,271,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Lol

The American ego is too much sometimes.
Yes, but not any thing as arrogant as the Canadian one. :O) Just saying.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:41 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
Distance of flying, costs, language may factor for those far distance countries. Plus illegals may network as well. Many get deported out of Canada when caught. Illegals exist in Canada and I have seen show they work under the table, break the law by stealing, don't report a cockroach problem, live too many in one apt and not above lying. Plus leave a clean renovated place in appalling conditions. When evicted were coming back to sleep until lock was changed. I know because I am the janitor's partner for three multi-unit buildings.
I also grew up in California and see what rampant abuse of that has caused Los Angeles to become.
Gangs, press two for Spanish, needing to be bilingual for some occupations and much worse drain on government and crime. Not just in LA. Many parts of California. It really is out of hand. Losing work to people whom will work for very little is not great economically for citizens. When it's only a concept to you it's vague but when it throws sticks in ones spokes not great at all!
Plus I rather see government money spent, instead on illegals with anchor babies, on the homeless, mental illness, veterans and low income citizens. Here and in the US.

Mexicans are great people and very nice but there districts are of Mexicans and other Latinos that even Mexicans (American born) would not live in. If they can keep desperadoes out then great. The climate here over long Winter months are probably a good deterrent for the illegal set.
So basically you are generalizing Mexicans or what illegals in Canada as problem people (not reporting cochroaches - whhhhhaatt a bizarre thing to say) without character, but than you say they are great people at the end

You're coming off a little - actually a lot like Donald Trump.

As for working for a lower wage - aren't they doing the jobs that other 'entitled' Americans and Canadians simply are less likely to do. You know, the type that won't work for anything less than 50K per year even though their skills/experience/education don't warrant it and are thus just living off the dole until they get that cushy job they are 'owed' in terms of employment. The same entitled people btw who are fueling the drug wars. No demand, no need for the supply!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-09-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 09:22 AM

18,346 posts, read 10,418,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So basically you are generalizing Mexicans or what illegals in Canada as problem people (not reporting cochroaches - whhhhhaatt a bizarre thing to say) without character, but than you say they are great people at the end

You're coming off a little - actually a lot like Donald Trump.

As for working for a lower wage - aren't they doing the jobs that other 'entitled' Americans and Canadians simply are less likely to do. You know, the type that won't work for anything less than 50K per year even though their skills/experience/education don't warrant it and are thus just living off the dole until they get that cushy job they are 'owed' in terms of employment. The same entitled people btw who are fueling the drug wars. No demand, no need for the supply!
And he called us arrogant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or