Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mexican citizens require a visa to visit Canada for tourism?
Yes 29 60.42%
No 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,902,626 times

Advertisements

Do Mexican citizens have a history of living illegally in a foreign country? If so, then yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,393,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Do Mexican citizens have a history of living illegally in a foreign country? If so, then yes.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:08 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,681,854 times
Just and example ... I am in and around this area of the city all the time. I think the average person in Toronto has no idea that this is going on ... BUT it is!!!! This city has many illegal workers that tend to behind the scene work. I personally I am not feeling in general they are really causing any major problems..., but I do have a problem with people living in this city like 2nd class citizens and living in fear of being exposed and deported. Tricky ... I feel bad for this family ... I would NEVER want to be in this position.

Why this Mexican couple with 3 Canadian-born children faces deportation

Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,323,372 times
How the hell did they have three Children living here illegally? And why? It seems rather irresponsible. Another thing is, why the hell didn't they apply for refugee status from the get go? I met a Mexican couple here in Manitoba that applied for refugee status and were rejected, they had kids here and they were deported, but at least they were able to work and live here safely while they were being processed. I get the impression that some people think if you have kids the government will let you stay.

I really haven't met too too many Mexicans here. Those I have met are here legally or are students. I don't know how many illegals in Canada are Mexican and how these numbers compare to other groups. At the end of they day I don't think getting rid of visa requirements will change much or increase the number of illegals. Mexican migration is actually at record lows.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myunsatisfyinginput View Post
Speak for yourself. If you choose to be a naive duntz, that's on you. But I don't see why we have to put anyone else's safety at risk due to a terrorist attack because we all adopted your mentality.
I thought the topic was about latinos coming to Canada, where did the topic shift to terrorists? As for latinos in my experience some of the nicest hard working people you are likely to meet if more want to come to Canada i say let em come.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM

7,661 posts, read 5,440,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just and example ... I am in and around this area of the city all the time. I think the average person in Toronto has no idea that this is going on ... BUT it is!!!! This city has many illegal workers that tend to behind the scene work. I personally I am not feeling in general they are really causing any major problems..., but I do have a problem with people living in this city like 2nd class citizens and living in fear of being exposed and deported. Tricky ... I feel bad for this family ... I would NEVER want to be in this position.

Why this Mexican couple with 3 Canadian-born children faces deportation
I don't have a problem with Canada loosening up immigration requirements for Mexicans but don't support allowing illegals to stay.

As far as the couple in the article are concerned, I suspect they came to Canada with the intention of staying. I certainly don't buy the idea that they had to remain for 11 years because it was too dangerous to live in Mexico.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How the hell did they have three Children living here illegally? And why? It seems rather irresponsible. Another thing is, why the hell didn't they apply for refugee status from the get go? I met a Mexican couple here in Manitoba that applied for refugee status and were rejected, they had kids here and they were deported, but at least they were able to work and live here safely while they were being processed. I get the impression that some people think if you have kids the government will let you stay.

I really haven't met too too many Mexicans here. Those I have met are here legally or are students. I don't know how many illegals in Canada are Mexican and how these numbers compare to other groups. At the end of they day I don't think getting rid of visa requirements will change much or increase the number of illegals. Mexican migration is actually at record lows.
It is not just Mexicans in Toronto. In Toronto we have a lot of Europeans even that do this. There are people from all over the world in this city doing this. When working in the hospital I met this woman that was from Jamaica living here for almost 30 years without status.

There are huge amounts of Portuguese people that are living and working in Toronto illegally and many work in trades or with people in their own communities can get paid under the table. This is pretty common ... a lot of people here illegally just sort of sit with in their own communities. Also in Toronto there are government organizations and certain hospital that actually provide health care free of charge to people that are here without status. I am pretty certain she did not give birth to those kids at home. Also the kids go to school. What I wonder is why now? I question if the husband just got someone who knew his mad and they call immigration Canada on him to be spiteful. This family does not exactly appear to be causing trouble in the city.

To be honest ... I can't blame them for doing it... in general we have it pretty good in Toronto. Pretty impressive that they pulled this off for 11 years!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is not just Mexicans in Toronto. In Toronto we have a lot of Europeans even that do this. There are people from all over the world in this city doing this. When working in the hospital I met this woman that was from Jamaica living here for almost 30 years without status.

There are huge amounts of Portuguese people that are living and working in Toronto illegally and many work in trades or with people in their own communities can get paid under the table. This is pretty common ... a lot of people here illegally just sort of sit with in their own communities. Also in Toronto there are government organizations and certain hospital that actually provide health care free of charge to people that are here without status. I am pretty certain she did not give birth to those kids at home. Also the kids go to school. What I wonder is why now? I question if the husband just got someone who knew his mad and they call immigration Canada on him to be spiteful. This family does not exactly appear to be causing trouble in the city.

To be honest ... I can't blame them for doing it... in general we have it pretty good in Toronto. Pretty impressive that they pulled this off for 11 years!

Just wondering besides your one example how do you know people are illegal? do you ask them? or do you just assume they are illegal?I live in a very culturally diverse neighborhood and have no idea who is illegal and who isnt or if any one is illegal.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just wondering besides your one example how do you know people are illegal? do you ask them? or do you just assume they are illegal?I live in a very culturally diverse neighborhood and have no idea who is illegal and who isnt or if any one is illegal.

You are right it is not that obvious. I did not really know that much about the issue until I did a placement in this organization in the city that provides free health services to people without status, also I know from working in health care system in Toronto. As a student I was warned we were never allowed to take pictures at events as a huge percentage of the clients were hiding from immigrant Canada and the organization did not want to place them at risk for being caught. No 100% not photos or video at any events planned by the organization.

Above and beyond that I know people that work in construction and related fields (re my comments in that area). I have met and know people who are living in Toronto without status through friends. They often tend to stick to their own communities. Also my husband did not grow up here and knows a lot of people threw places he hangs out ( ethnic cafes/ restaurants) and meets people in this situation.

I also have also personally met people through friends too. I have meet several single people from Latin American Countries and the Caribbean that found a way to Toronto by getting tourist, student or work visas. They started working and living here working under the table. Many of them tried to find people to marry in order to stay here or tried to claim refugee status. I knew this guy from El Salvador, this girl from Colombia and this guy from Colombia that all did this. The guy from El Salvador has immigrant Canada trying to deport him ( he was trying to get this 20 year old Portuguese girl he was dating to marry him lol, but I don't think that happend). The Colombian girl got sponsored by her boy friend ( ... regardless we are lucky to have her in our city she is crazy talented). The Colombian guy ended up getting refuge status ... then got accepted as a permanent resident. Please note this was in the early 1999-2001.

This issue is real ... but very hush... hush.

Also ... sometimes there are clues. They are often doing jobs in privately restaurants/ stores ( and not really directly interacting with the business's partons. They often don't speak much English or very little English as seem like people very unlikely to have come over here on their own. Also if you are a government sponsoured refuge you get financial aide....... when you seen groups of people that all appear to be living in the same dwelling in way too small a space that don't seems to be likely related that are subletting. You never know unless they tell you... but there are often signs like to ones I mentioned.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,323,372 times
As a Hispanic person, the whole topic of illegal immigration makes me cringe sometimes. I hate that Hispanics are always associated and linked to illegal immigration and low wage jobs. Its embarrassing. I have mixed feeling about the whole thing, on one hand I have nothing against illegals as people, I understand people want to come here and work, but on the other hand I don't want to have the same problems as the US where massive influx of illegals has created (or has helped maintain) a permanent under class in certain Hispanic areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada