U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:48 AM

28 posts, read 28,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You've asked this, or similarly related questions, since you signed up in August last year so it sounds like you're still very undecided about the best location to go to. I get the sense that you want to live your life as a "free spirit" (you call it hippie or alternative, I just call it being a free spirit) and still feel comfortable knowing you'll fit in and be accepted with whatever community you choose to live in.

Honestly, I think anyone can live as a free spirit pretty much anywhere in Canada and be accepted and not be judged for it as long as they aren't being a trouble-maker or being a financial and social burden on their community. Be personally responsible, support yourself in your chosen occupation, be friendly, do some good works and volunteer your services for special community events to show that you want to fit in and be socially accepted. Don't cause trouble in the community, be law abiding, be responsible and take good care of your natural environment and your home, keep them and yourself clean - do all those things and nobody is going to care if you choose to live as and look like a free spirit. Free spirits have been living the free spirit lifestyle in Canada for two or three hundred years already and not been judged for it, it's one of the things that is attractive about living in Canada.

You're already in Vancouver and it was suggested to you last year to check out some of the smaller coastal towns along the mainland and on the islands (particularly Vancouver Island) to find a free spirited, artsy kind of community that might be suitable to you. Did you do that, did you go check out the coastal towns? Did you go over to Vancouver Island to check out Chemainus, Coombs, Port Alberni, Tofino, Ucluelet, Port Hardy, Qualicum, Campbell River, Courtney - just to name a few out of many - did you go see for yourself? They are all places that have a lot of free spirited and artisan minded people living in them.

That all sounds fine and dandy,

but when you put all these obligations and rules then "free" stops being that.

I guess I'm sort of a "libertarian" in that, I generally think people should do whatever they want as long as it's not seriously harming anyone. Ah but no, I haven't checked them out yet, I suppose I will. I'm not well off to be honest.

I mean that's the thing, I'm not even in my 30's but practically everyone here at least in Vancouver expects me to be this button down, stoic and constantly serious, set to go and have it all figured out, and I'm sort of from a really poor dysfunctional family, amongst other things. I needed to spend my time working on becoming a more well-rounded person, and I guess "finding myself" but because of that I've been rejected and people think I'm a loser...? it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It sounds like you're looking for something like a punk/squat community. There isn't much of that in Canada. Unless you can find some like-minded people to form a building coop. You need some income though-- squats are more of a thing in large cities with more abandoned properties than Canada has... Berlin or Amsterdam, perhaps?

Or are you looking for a 50s/60s style California surfer dude community? Snowboarders in Banff, B.C., maybe? California?

No matter where you try to go, you need some income. Some of these communities rely on members who are trust fund babies.
I guess kind of, yeah. One of those kind of things would be kind of interesting.

Basically, I've mostly just wanted to be an artist/musician and spend most of my time on that, but I've found that a host of people aren't very supportive or think that I'm a bad person for doing so.

There are some punks here, but yeah...most of them just outright seem to live on the streets.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Nowadays, living as a conservative Christian can be considered an alternative lifestyle in certain areas. Are there, for example, Amish communities in Quebec?
Not really.

Yeah "certain places" and I'd probably be happier finding them.

I have lived all over Canada and traveled a bit and let me tell you, much of Canada and the rural parts (even the states) has a still very large and hefty Christian conservative population. Even Vancouver much to my surprise and dismay seems to be like that. Blech.

(Oh and if they're not outright, the predominate social norms are still drastically influenced by them) When will people free themselves from dogma though? I see and have met a lot of people who have freed themselves from the dogma of religion, only to become die-hard "New-Agists" and just as set in stone with their beliefs as if they were a religion in and of itself. You know, Eckhard Tolle and all of tat stuff. The "Think positive" thing I think has become carried away and it's become so politically correct you can't say anything.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,048,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoblade View Post
Not really.

Yeah "certain places" and I'd probably be happier finding them.

I have lived all over Canada and traveled a bit and let me tell you, much of Canada and the rural parts (even the states) has a still very large and hefty Christian conservative population. Even Vancouver much to my surprise and dismay seems to be like that. Blech.

(Oh and if they're not outright, the predominate social norms are still drastically influenced by them) When will people free themselves from dogma though? I see and have met a lot of people who have freed themselves from the dogma of religion, only to become die-hard "New-Agists" and just as set in stone with their beliefs as if they were a religion in and of itself. You know, Eckhard Tolle and all of tat stuff. The "Think positive" thing I think has become carried away and it's become so politically correct you can't say anything.
You're right in that some people have replaced one kind of traditional dogma with new dogmas. It's within human nature to be pompous and judgemental of people who are different. And oddly enough, some people living "alternative" lifestyles love to lecture anyone who doesn't agree with them.

If you're very much into music and art, perhaps Ossington in Toronto, or Mile End would be the place for you. I don't think anyone in downtown Toronto would be very concerned with how you decide to live your life.

Or, maybe a larger hippie community in the U.S... Gainsville, Florida, or Taos, New Mexico? There's always Slab City, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVCSUafFVI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada