U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,999 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Best place in Canada for "alternative lifestyles"

Yeah, I know it's sort of a goofy term, but I just want to live in a place where I can kind of be a hippie and just kind of do my own thing and maybe make art etc, without having to be consumed by a specific career or certain lifestyle trappings and I will not be treated as a bad person for doing so.

Lately I have been thinking about perhaps...Montreal..? thoughts?

Again like you know, people I imagine where it's somewhat common in California for there to be individuals who just sort of languish around in their 20's and skateboard, and do their own thing. Though, I don't know if that's all that common anymore or possible. Would it be far off to say that it's pretty acceptable in most of Canada, as long as you are a "professional" and are able to break through a certain income percentage and thus lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times
Reputation: 4133
Mile End and some other parts of Montreal, for sure. Salt Spring Island (B.C.) comes to mind. Chelsea, Quebec (anglophone enclave in the woods not far from Gatineau and Ottawa).

Canada's supply of hippies seems to be lacking these days... it's actually tougher to come up with the names of hippie hollows than I think it would've been 20 years ago. "Alternative" has gone mainstream and you can pretty well get off the grid and out of the mainstream in quite a few places. Are you interested in an urban intentional community, something rural, or are you keeping it open to suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3257
If such a place still exists let us know when you find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 AM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times
Reputation: 4133
It sounds like you're looking for something like a punk/squat community. There isn't much of that in Canada. Unless you can find some like-minded people to form a building coop. You need some income though-- squats are more of a thing in large cities with more abandoned properties than Canada has... Berlin or Amsterdam, perhaps?

Or are you looking for a 50s/60s style California surfer dude community? Snowboarders in Banff, B.C., maybe? California?

No matter where you try to go, you need some income. Some of these communities rely on members who are trust fund babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:42 AM
 
298 posts, read 195,914 times
Reputation: 241
Montreal is the best for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,521 posts, read 9,402,418 times
Reputation: 6667
Nowadays, living as a conservative Christian can be considered an alternative lifestyle in certain areas. Are there, for example, Amish communities in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 05:54 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Nowadays, living as a conservative Christian can be considered an alternative lifestyle in certain areas. Are there, for example, Amish communities in Quebec?
There are groups of ultra-strict Roman Catholics, who are a bit like breakaway sects. They have their own leaders and live in their own communities. There aren't tons of them, but they do exist.

I see your point--in 2016, that could be seen as just as "alternative" as a commune of eco-vegans living in the wilds of B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoblade View Post
Best place in Canada for "alternative lifestyles"

Yeah, I know it's sort of a goofy term, but I just want to live in a place where I can kind of be a hippie and just kind of do my own thing and maybe make art etc, without having to be consumed by a specific career or certain lifestyle trappings and I will not be treated as a bad person for doing so.

..... <snip> .....

Would it be far off to say that it's pretty acceptable in most of Canada, as long as you are a "professional" and are able to break through a certain income percentage and thus lifestyle?
You've asked this, or similarly related questions, since you signed up in August last year so it sounds like you're still very undecided about the best location to go to. I get the sense that you want to live your life as a "free spirit" (you call it hippie or alternative, I just call it being a free spirit) and still feel comfortable knowing you'll fit in and be accepted with whatever community you choose to live in.

Honestly, I think anyone can live as a free spirit pretty much anywhere in Canada and be accepted and not be judged for it as long as they aren't being a trouble-maker or being a financial and social burden on their community. Be personally responsible, support yourself in your chosen occupation, be friendly, do some good works and volunteer your services for special community events to show that you want to fit in and be socially accepted. Don't cause trouble in the community, be law abiding, be responsible and take good care of your natural environment and your home, keep them and yourself clean - do all those things and nobody is going to care if you choose to live as and look like a free spirit. Free spirits have been living the free spirit lifestyle in Canada for two or three hundred years already and not been judged for it, it's one of the things that is attractive about living in Canada.

You're already in Vancouver and it was suggested to you last year to check out some of the smaller coastal towns along the mainland and on the islands (particularly Vancouver Island) to find a free spirited, artsy kind of community that might be suitable to you. Did you do that, did you go check out the coastal towns? Did you go over to Vancouver Island to check out Chemainus, Coombs, Port Alberni, Tofino, Ucluelet, Port Hardy, Qualicum, Campbell River, Courtney - just to name a few out of many - did you go see for yourself? They are all places that have a lot of free spirited and artisan minded people living in them.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,615 times
Reputation: 569
Not to mention the Kootenays.

Check out community houses in Victoria - maybe there are other such networks in other communities. Basically free spirits sharing rental houses. Although some of these are being converted back into single family homes by the new real estate wealth.

I do hear great things about Montreal for creative types - especially as the coat of housing is nice.

Last edited by docwatson; 06-26-2016 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 AM
 
28 posts, read 27,999 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You've asked this, or similarly related questions, since you signed up in August last year so it sounds like you're still very undecided about the best location to go to. I get the sense that you want to live your life as a "free spirit" (you call it hippie or alternative, I just call it being a free spirit) and still feel comfortable knowing you'll fit in and be accepted with whatever community you choose to live in.

Honestly, I think anyone can live as a free spirit pretty much anywhere in Canada and be accepted and not be judged for it as long as they aren't being a trouble-maker or being a financial and social burden on their community. Be personally responsible, support yourself in your chosen occupation, be friendly, do some good works and volunteer your services for special community events to show that you want to fit in and be socially accepted. Don't cause trouble in the community, be law abiding, be responsible and take good care of your natural environment and your home, keep them and yourself clean - do all those things and nobody is going to care if you choose to live as and look like a free spirit. Free spirits have been living the free spirit lifestyle in Canada for two or three hundred years already and not been judged for it, it's one of the things that is attractive about living in Canada.

You're already in Vancouver and it was suggested to you last year to check out some of the smaller coastal towns along the mainland and on the islands (particularly Vancouver Island) to find a free spirited, artsy kind of community that might be suitable to you. Did you do that, did you go check out the coastal towns? Did you go over to Vancouver Island to check out Chemainus, Coombs, Port Alberni, Tofino, Ucluelet, Port Hardy, Qualicum, Campbell River, Courtney - just to name a few out of many - did you go see for yourself? They are all places that have a lot of free spirited and artisan minded people living in them.

.
Yes, I am still deciding as there are many variables to take into consideration.

I am leaning towards going to Quebec, but that would mean learning French and putting other things I want to do off, and I don't know if the economy is as good as it is in Vancouver. And as for before, I felt or thought that perhaps I was wording things in maybe not the best or clearest matter.

As far as I could tell, "being your self" was generally okay and in a supposed more "liberal" time that we live in, it would be more common place and even exalted a bit? but generally it seems to be kind of the opposite. Anything that seemed to have stood for something seems to get swallowed the mainstream and simply become an empty image you can consume at a strip mall. I like smaller places and get really fed up with the city sometimes, but I feel trapped in small towns and I would rather stay in one for some reason....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top