U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM

18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I have.

Seriously, Canadian golfers play when we can. Somewhere, a buddy of mine has a photo of me launching a shot from greenside--with snowbanks in the background And you haven't really played until you've hit from casual water (aka snowmelt) on the course.

Six degrees Celsius, and pouring rain? You think that stops Canadian golfers? Pffffff! Not likely!
Haaar! The only weather that causes pause to a Canadian golfer is lightening, and even then the risk is often overlooked if you've got a good even par round going for you.

I have actually seen golfers try and play during a freak hailstorm. Imagine the putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:37 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,965,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Playing sports and walking is fine as long as there is no wind. It's the wind that kills me. I can easily handle cold weather if it wasn't for the damn wind chill.
Nothings worse than underdressing on a sunny April afternoon only to find out youll freeze your ears off in that 8 celsius wind without a toque or earmuffs. That's the reason why i dont like shoulder seasons. No type of weather is too much when you dress for it, but who really does? Its heated building to heated car to heated building for most people

Old 07-04-2016, 12:54 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,754,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You can play basketball outside when it's zero degrees. Doesn't mean it is fun and most people don't enjoy it.
Under 10C, it ceases to be comfortable doing sports outdoor. Even some walking is not as pleasant. Can't deny that. We are all built the same way.
Y'know, Botti, one of the things I notice about you is that you're always critical of Canada and it's people. And you're not even from Canada originally.

So maybe you ought to sit down and shut up when those of us who have lived our entire lives in Canada, talk about how we live here. We play golf in winter conditions. That's a fact. Maybe wimpy Americans or Chinese cannot do the same ("wahhhh--the weather!")--but we tough-as-nails Canadians do.

Botti, your credibility, as far as living in Canada goes, is (to me) nil. You do nothing but complain about the country that took you in. You work in the Canadian/Provincial government fer crissake, in a job that most native-born Canadians would kill for. Nice pension, nice benefits, and most native-born Canadians don't have those. But you do--and you still complain about the country that gave you all that.

I don't like people that immigrate into my country and then tell me what's wrong with it. I can deal with Canadians who disagree with me--ask Acajack, or Migratory Chicken, or Fusion, or BruSan, or others. Hell, I can even deal with Canadians who have settled elsewhere--ask NewDixieGirl.

But a non-Canadian who comes here, works in a nice comfy government job, and complains about all aspects of Canada? I'll say it as politely as I can: sit down and shut up, or get the hell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! The only weather that causes pause to a Canadian golfer is lightening....
I just hold my 1-iron over my head.

Why? Because not even God can hit a 1-iron.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM

873 posts, read 815,782 times
Quote:
Y'know, Botti, one of the things I notice about you is that you're always critical of Canada and it's people. And you're not even from Canada originally.

So maybe you ought to sit down and shut up when those of us who have lived our entire lives in Canada, talk about how we live here. We play golf in winter conditions. That's a fact. Maybe wimpy Americans or Chinese cannot do the same ("wahhhh--the weather!")--but we tough-as-nails Canadians do.

Botti, your credibility, as far as living in Canada goes, is (to me) nil. You do nothing but complain about the country that took you in. You work in the Canadian/Provincial government fer crissake, in a job that most native-born Canadians would kill for. Nice pension, nice benefits, and most native-born Canadians don't have those. But you do--and you still complain about the country that gave you all that.

I don't like people that immigrate into my country and then tell me what's wrong with it. I can deal with Canadians who disagree with me--ask Acajack, or Migratory Chicken, or Fusion, or BruSan, or others. Hell, I can even deal with Canadians who have settled elsewhere--ask NewDixieGirl.

But a non-Canadian who comes here, works in a nice comfy government job, and complains about all aspects of Canada? I'll say it as politely as I can: sit down and shut up, or get the hell out.

While I disagree with what Botti says, it isn't fair to discriminate those who have immigrated to Canada. Technically if you aren't a First Nations person, you are also an immigrant. Canada is built by immigrants and that's what we are known for. We are all Canadians and everyone has a right to their opinion.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:51 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:

Like I care what you think ...

In fact, I think opinion of those who have hardly lived outside their own country or even region matters far less. I will continue criticising whenever I find appropriate, and you just have to deal with it. Or maybe you can complain to your local MP?

"Your country"? LMAO. I have every right you have in Canada, so stop thinking for even one second that you have some sort of privilege over me. I am not one of those who feels so grateful about living in Canada. I am here because I am qualified and desired by Canada, unlike you, who just happen to be born here. Why not ask yourself, if you were born elsewhere, would you even be qualified to immigrate to Canada? If not, I guess you didn't make yourself too useful to your country I am afraid. Yes, many native born Canadian don't have as good wage and pension as I do, so what? My suggestion: maybe they should have studied hard and made themselves more valuable to Canada?

Last edited by botticelli; 07-04-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 01:58 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
While I disagree with what Botti says, it isn't fair to discriminate those who have immigrated to Canada. Technically if you aren't a First Nations person, you are also an immigrant. Canada is built by immigrants and that's what we are known for. We are all Canadians and everyone has a right to their opinion.
Trust me, the discrimination is mutual.

Does living in Canada one's entire life gives a more objective view about life in Canada? I highly doubt it.

Additionally, am I exceptionally "critical of Canada"? humm, only for those who simply can't take any criticism. In the past year, I am posting more and more positive posts related to Canada (especially in the context of our southern neighbour). But Canada is bad in many aspects too, and I won't care about the sensitive feelings of Canadians before expressing my opinions. When I feel it is not good, I say it. On the other hand, many of us praise Canada 99% of the time (to the extent even Winsor has "great weather", or golfing under 6% rain is a great experience), and I am not sure what's the point of their opinions any more.

Last edited by botticelli; 07-04-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 02:05 PM

21,950 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:

And this is where I will disagree with you Chev!

Once someone becomes a citizen, he or she is entitled to have any opinion on the country and do anything within the country that a native-born person can do. There aren't two classes of citizens.

If people don't like what I just described then maybe they should advocate for cutting back on immigration.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:26 PM

10,133 posts, read 11,893,641 times
OK think it's important to look at Canada through a critical lens instead of just accepting the status quo as the best we can ever be, otherwise we just stagnate and not improve as a country. I personally really welcome botti's input on here as it gives a different perspective even I don't always agree with him.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:24 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And this is where I will disagree with you Chev!

Once someone becomes a citizen, he or she is entitled to have any opinion on the country and do anything within the country that a native-born person can do. There aren't two classes of citizens.

If people don't like what I just described then maybe they should advocate for cutting back on immigration.
I agree! Once you are a citizen you have every right to criticize what you like. There is a citizenship that a paper bestows and then there is the process where one becomes a citizen gradually, by which I mean that it takes time for immigrants to become accustomed to their new country and it is illogical to think that they will automatically have a great love for it. Botti has progressed a lot from when he first began posting. He even likes hamburgers!

Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
I don't always agree with Botti's assessments of Canada and I sure do think he'd have a more informed opinion about it if he left his DT Toronto confines (you know I love you Botti lol) and surely many of us would benefit from chucking our assumptions about Canadians from its various regions at the door.. That all said, we do have to be open to criticism from all quarters and I don't think Botti is any less Canadian than someone who was born here or has been here for multiple generations in terms of family ancestry.. Bottom line is - Botti is here and is contributing to the country. He has a right as any of us do to an opinion and criticism about the country. The only way we will make a better one is to be open to criticism.

I just got back from Botti's motherland and I can say there are some things there that we could benefit from here in this country (movement of people and goods). On the other hand, there are some things that should simply stay there - including banning google - yes there is such a thing as google withdrawal!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-04-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada