U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know many of them prefer Australia, but most British people I've met in Canada actually don't mind the weather here too much.

Winter is much colder of course but generally far less gloomy than in the UK.

And summers are much nicer in most of Canada.

Sure, if you want a tropical climate you'll go to Australia. But not everyone wants that.
My friend in London was showing me it was 16C yesterday in London, while I was sweating under the 33C sun.

I hate this summer so far. I prefer cooler summers, and it is not even July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:45 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
My friend in London was showing me it was 16C yesterday in London, while I was sweating under the 33C sun.

I hate this summer so far. I prefer cooler summers, and it is not even July
I think I've said on here before that climate (within reason) isn't nearly as important to most people as it seems to be for the average City-Data forumer.

Even people originally from tropical countries don't complain much about the climate in Canada.

Like other Canadians, they will complain about the "weather" on a specific day or during a crappy week. But as soon as things improve (which can be going from -15C to a sunny -5C in the winter) the bitter cold is forgotten and they are happy again.

Just like in the summer everyone seems to forget the winter.

I've NEVER heard anyone say: "Yeah, it's nice right now but four months ago it was freezing and I still can't get over it!"

Humans have an amazing ability to adapt.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM

3,897 posts, read 2,723,463 times
My guess is that the Google search was partly by those who had already toyed with the idea of leaving the U.K. in recent years and Brexit results got them interested again.

This is an interesting article:

Which is better for migration Australia Or Canada?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 AM

10,130 posts, read 11,866,793 times
Quote:
I think I've said on here before that climate (within reason) isn't nearly as important to most people as it seems to be for the average City-Data forumer.

Even people originally from tropical countries don't complain much about the climate in Canada.

Like other Canadians, they will complain about the "weather" on a specific day or during a crappy week. But as soon as things improve (which can be going from -15C to a sunny -5C in the winter) the bitter cold is forgotten and they are happy again.

Just like in the summer everyone seems to forget the winter.

I've NEVER heard anyone say: "Yeah, it's nice right now but four months ago it was freezing and I still can't get over it!"

Humans have an amazing ability to adapt.
If weather isn't important then why doesn't Iqaluit have as many people as Ottawa? Why aren't new immigrants moving there?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 AM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
Quote:
Language barriers?
Hasn't seemed to be a big issue for all of those Brits in Spain.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If weather isn't important then why doesn't Iqaluit have as many people as Ottawa? Why aren't new immigrants moving there?
Why is Fort McMurray larger than Chilliwack, BC or Leamington, Ontario?

New York City is larger than any city in the "warmer" regions of the U.S....

Old 06-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pro-EU Brits are a much larger, broader-based demographic than the expat Brits in Benidorm.

People with young kids, people with budding careers... it's easier to move that abroad when you already speak the language at your destination. (Not to mention the legal framework, etc., which is more similar to the UK in Canada or Australia than it is in continental Europe.)

Old 06-27-2016, 12:07 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Those British in Spain are mostly retirees/the rich as far as I know. They hang out together, don't really need to apply for jobs etc. so language is less of an issue.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:36 PM

873 posts, read 813,674 times
The Brits are welcome here.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:51 PM

2,107 posts, read 640,252 times
It says a lot about our generation that when things look tough our first response is to flee. Not fight it out, or pull together to solve the problem. No, just run away. Its very depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada