Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
It says a lot about our generation that when things look tough our first response is to flee. Not fight it out, or pull together to solve the problem. No, just run away. Its very depressing.

It says a lot about the older generation. I feel bad for the young people who voted to remain. They will have fewer job opportunities thanks to the old fascists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Stuff the queen.
God save the Queen
She ain't no human being
There is no future
And England's dreaming

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 06-27-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
It says a lot about the older generation. I feel bad for the young people who voted to remain. They will have fewer job opportunities thanks to the old fascists.
There was a 72% voter turnout overall. However in the 18 -24 year old age group, apparently only 36% chose to vote and be heard.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why is Fort McMurray larger than Chilliwack, BC or Leamington, Ontario?

New York City is larger than any city in the "warmer" regions of the U.S....
Let me rephrase the question... why does no polar tundra climate anywhere have large cities? Why is Antarctica not populated? And you can't tell me that there are no resources there for people... the polar regions have a lot of minerals and oil.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
There was a 72% voter turnout overall. However in the 18 -24 year old age group, apparently only 36% chose to vote and be heard.
That's depressing.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The generational difference in the results is very stark. The amount who wanted to remain over leave was a very large majority from 45 and under I believe. However, it was the oldest who came out the most to vote. Pretty sad that the youngest generation who will live with this result the longest didn't bother to let their opinion get heard.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's depressing.
Not necessarily.

How many of the 18-24 year old truly understand the EU and how it works? How many understand the cost and benefit of leaving the EU? I'd rather see someone who don't have much information abstain from voting on important issues than see them voting based on some vague idea or media-fed ideology. Some voters would actually believe by quitting EU, Britain is essentially quitting Europe or stop trading with it. These people should not vote.

For me, low voter turnout among the young could be a good thing. If one is not interested and never knew about the issue, stay out of the decision.

This is why I always think in an ideal world, voters should pass certain knowledge exam in order to qualify to vote.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Let me rephrase the question... why does no polar tundra climate anywhere have large cities? Why is Antarctica not populated? And you can't tell me that there are no resources there for people... the polar regions have a lot of minerals and oil.
And also Atlanta, Houston or Miami don't necessarily have better climates than New York City. New York City has reasonably mild but distinct four seasons. It is surprisingly livable in terms of weather. Winter in NYC is A LOT bearable than in Toronto/Montreal.

Poor Canadians often think warmer = better weather, largely because they don't really visit Florida that frequent in the middle of July. Of course in the winter it sounds fantastic.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not necessarily.

How many of the 18-24 year old truly understand the EU and how it works? How many understand the cost and benefit of leaving the EU? I'd rather see someone who don't have much information abstain from voting on important issues than see them voting based on some vague idea or media-fed ideology. Some voters would actually believe by quitting EU, Britain is essentially quitting Europe or stop trading with it. These people should not vote.

For me, low voter turnout among the young could be a good thing. If one is not interested and never knew about the issue, stay out of the decision.

This is why I always think in an ideal world, voters should pass certain knowledge exam in order to qualify to vote.
I've been saying this for a long time.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well, few people live in the most extremely cold and most extremely hot climates.

In between, there is a range that is acceptable to a fair number of people. That's all I am saying.

Continental climates like you find across most of Canada are in the acceptable range for most people, even though you might not like them.

Russia has about 150 million people living in this type of climate. If you add in the former USSR (most of which has a climate to Canada's), that's 250 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada